These 30 Comfort Food Recipes for Fall are hearty, cozy and delicious – perfect for fall nights around the dinner table.
This time of year, life moves at lightning speed. It seems to be the nature of the season- a gradually revving up, building, towards the holidays. Days become shorter, colder and our appetites change as well. As fall gets underway, we start to crave cozy, heartier, meatier, comfort food recipes, warming to both body and soul.
If you’ve been on the blog a while, you’ll know that most of the recipes you’ll find here tend to be on the lighter, healthier side (like these Vegetarian Recipes for Fall). But I don’t judge or label food as good or bad. These fall recipes feature here are more of the “stick-to-your-bones” type. Rich, decadent and meaty. And while I don’t cook this way every day, there is a place for them, especially when shared around the table.
Comfort food, in moderation, can be incredibly nourishing on the soul level. Not just the eating of it, but particularly in the act of making it. Making comfort food can be really comforting if we allow it – the perfect way to spend a slow and lazy Sunday.
Sharing it with others feels especially good too. Many of these comfort food recipes can be made ahead– perfect for fall gatherings or the holiday table. Here are a few of my favorite comfort food recipes for fall and winter. Hope you enjoy!
Cozy Fall Comfort Food Recipes
Rich and robust, this plant-based Lentil Bolognese is hearty, “meaty” and full of depth of flavor. Toss it with your favorite pasta, or spoon it over creamy polenta- either way, this simple nourishing vegan meal is one the whole family will enjoy.
A simple recipe for Creamy Mushroom Soup with Rosemary and Garlic – falvoful and hearty enough to stand alone as a main course. Keto-friendly and elegant enough for fall gatherings or simple enough for fall weeknight dinners! Serve this with crusty bread for a simple hearty meal!
Chicken Pot Pie
A robust and hearty fall recipe for Zucchini Lasagna made without noodles for a low-carb, keto version of one of our favorite meals! Vegetarian adaptable and Gluten-free.
Homemade Tomato Soup
How to make classic Chicken Marsala (with double the mushrooms!) in a rich, earthy, complex Marsala Sauce. Serve over creamy polenta, mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower for a delcious fall dinner.
Ribollita (Tuscan Whitebean Stew)
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Butternut and Potato Curry
Instant Pot Chili
Butternut Squash Gratin
White Chicken Chili with Poblanos
Whole Roasted Chicken
Middle Eastern Lamb Stew
Slow Cooker Turkey Mushroom Bolognese
Slow Cooker Turkey Bolognese with Mushrooms A simple recipe for Slow Cooker Turkey Bolognese with Mushrooms- a delicious easy fall meal with lots of depth and flavor.
Give them and try and tell us your favorites below!
More Recipe Collections you may enjoy!
- 40 Easy Dinner Ideas
- 40 Best Pasta Recipes!
- 27 BEST Crockpot & Slow Cooker Recipes!
- 30 Best Instant Pot Recipes!
- 25 Best Sheet-Pan Dinners!
30 BEST comfort food recipes for Fall. Hearty, meaty and satisfying, perfect for chilly fall nights and great for sharing! Zucchini lasagna
- 2 1/2–3 lbs zucchini (3-4 large, 9-inch long- see notes) 16-18 slices, cut to 1/3 inch thick.
- olive oil, or spray olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 4–6 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
- 1 1/2 lbs ground lamb, beef, turkey, or use a vegan substitute like Beyond meat, beyond beef crumbles, soy crumbles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 cups marinara sauce (divided)
- pinch chili flakes (optional)
- 8 basil leaves, torn
- 15–16 ounces whole milk ricotta
- 1 egg
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 ounces pecorino romano – about 1/2 cup grated (divided)
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Cook Zucchini: Slice zucchini into 1/4 inch slices. You’ll need 16-18 good slices. See notes. Place on a parchment-lined sheet pan, spray or brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, and place in the hot oven, for 20-ish minutes, or until fork-tender. Set aside. Alternatively, you can grill zucchini over medium-high until tender for even more flavor.
- Make the Filling: In a large saucepan or skillet, saute the onion, garlic and optional fennel seeds in a little oil, for 1-2 minutes, over medium-high heat. Add the ground meat (or vegan meat) lower heat to medium, and break it apart with a metal spatula, until completely crumbled and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes (vegan meat will take much less time). Drain any of the fat. Return meat to the pan and add salt, pepper, oregano, and 2 cups marinara sauce. Give a good stir, cover and bring to a gentle simmer until heated all the way through. Stir in torn basil leaves. See notes.
- Ricotta: Mix the ricotta cheese in a medium bowl with the egg and nutmeg.
- Assemble: Grease a 9 x13 inch pan. Pour 1/2 cup of marinara to coat the bottom lightly. Place 8-9 slices of zucchini ( save the prettiest, most uniform ones for the top.) to cover the bottom. Pour the meat sauce over top. Spoon the ricotta mixture over the meat sauce and spread it around. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the grated pecorino cheese, Add the top layer of zucchini. Pour the remaining 1/2 cup of marinara over top and spread evenly into a thin layer. Dust with the remaining pecorino.
- Bake: Wipe off the edges of the pan, cover with foil and bake at 425F for 20 minutes, remove foil and continue baking, until golden and bubbling, 5-10 more minutes.
Go to the Full post for recipe notes
- Serving Size: ⅛ slice
- Calories: 457
- Sugar: 4.1 g
- Sodium: 730.2 mg
- Fat: 34.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 14.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.8 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 25.2 g
- Cholesterol: 119.9 mg
Keywords: fall recipes, fall recipe ideas, best fall recipes, recipes for fall, comfort food recipes, comfort food meals,