A simple, healthy recipe for Turkey Mushroom Bolognese, that can be made in an Instant Pot, Slow Cooker or on the stove top. Flavorful and delicious!
Slow Cooker Turkey Mushroom Bolognese
Slow Cooker Turkey Mushroom Bolognese- a lightened up version that is packed with flavor and depth. Simple easy healthy recipe!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 20 mins
- Yield: 8
- Category: main
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 onion -diced
- 2 T oil
- 2 carrots- diced
- 2 Celery stalks – diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms- sliced
- 6-8 cloves garlic- rough chopped
- 1 ¼ pounds ground turkey
- 2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 ¼ Cup Red Wine
- 28 ounce can whole peeled Tomatoes, preferably San Marsano
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce ( or a splash fish sauce, caper juice, or 2 mashed anchovies)
- 1Bay leaf
- Parmesan Rind ( optional)
- Garnish: Fresh basil ribbons or chopped parsley and grated parmesan or pecorino cheese
- In a very large skillet, dutch oven or saute function in slow cooker or Instant Pot- saute the onion and turkey in the olive oil, for 3 minutes until just tender. Add carrots, celery and mushrooms and garlic. Continue sauting and stirring cooking the veggies until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Make a well in the pan and add tomato paste, frying it for 1-2 minutes, which will give the sauce depth. Mix it all together then add wine, scraping up all the brown bits.
- Let simmer on medium heat until wine is reduced, about 5 minutes. Add the can of tomatoes and their juice, breaking them up with the metal spatula. Stir in the soy sauce. Toss in the parmesan rind (optional) to add even more depth, and a bay leaf.
- Place this in a slow cooker on its lowest setting for 6 hours. ( or medium heat for 3 hours) Adjust seasonings, discard parmesan rind and bay leaf.
- Alternately you can continue to simmer in the dutch oven on the stove, covered, for 1-2 hours, on lowest heat, adding chicken stock if necessary.
- Lastly you could cook in an Instant Pot pressure cooker, on high, for 30 minutes.
- Serve over cooked pasta, quinoa or roasted spaghetti squash with grated parmesan, sprinkled with fresh basil or Italian parsley.
- Make 8 x 1 Cup servings of Bolognese Sauce