A simple, healthy recipe for Turkey Mushroom Bolognese, that can be made in an Instant Pot, Slow Cooker or on the stove top. Flavorful and delicious!
How to ADD Depth to Bolognese Sauce:
- 1. Brown the onions
- 2. Brown the turkey
- 3. When adding the tomato paste, make a well in the pan, and saute it in oil until it deepens in color, for 2 minutes, before mixing it in.
- 4. Add a little soy sauce (or, as weird as it seems, a splash of fish sauce)
- 5. Add a parmesan rind to the bolognese
- 6. Add browned mushrooms, or even dried mushrooms to the slow cooker.
Hope you enjoy this healthier version of Bolognese! Let me know what you think in the comments below.
Slow Cooker Turkey Mushroom Bolognese
Slow Cooker Turkey Mushroom Bolognese- a lightened up version that is packed with flavor and depth. Simple easy healthy recipe!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 20 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: main
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 ¼ pounds ground turkey
- 1 onion -diced
- 6–8 cloves garlic- rough chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms- sliced
- 2 carrots- diced
- 2 Celery stalks – diced
- 2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 ¼ Cup Red Wine ( or chicken broth)
- 28 ounce can whole peeled Tomatoes, preferably San Marsano ( or use diced)
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce (or a splash fish sauce, caper juice, or 2 mashed anchovies)
- 1Bay leaf
- Parmesan Rind (optional)
Garnish: Fresh basil ribbons or chopped parsley and grated parmesan or pecorino cheese
- In a very large dutch oven or saute function in slow cooker or Instant Pot– saute the gorund turkey and onion in the olive oil, for 3 minutes until lightly browned. Add the garlic, carrots, celery and mushrooms. Continue sauting and stirring cooking the veggies until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add all the spices and salt.
- Make a well in the pan and add tomato paste, frying it for 1-2 minutes, which will give the sauce depth. Mix it all together then add the wine, scraping up all the brown bits.
- Let simmer on medium heat until wine is reduced, about 5 minutes. Add the can of tomatoes and their juice, breaking them up with the metal spatula. Stir in the soy sauce. Toss in the parmesan rind (optional) to add even more depth, and a bay leaf.
- Place this in a slow cooker on its lowest setting for 6 hours. ( or medium heat for 3 hours) Adjust seasonings, discard parmesan rind and bay leaf.
- Alternately you can continue to simmer in the dutch oven on the stove, covered, for 1-2 hours, on lowest heat, adding chicken stock if necessary ( if it gets too dry).
- Lastly you could cook in an Instant Pot pressure cooker, on high, for 30 minutes.
- Serve over cooked pasta, quinoa or roasted spaghetti squash with grated parmesan, sprinkled with fresh basil or Italian parsley.
- Makes 8 x 1 Cup servings of Bolognese Sauce
Keywords: turkey Bolognese, slow cooker bolognese, healthy bolognese, mushroom bolognese