Or simply serve Ceviche in a bowl with good tortilla chips like we do at home when we’re not catering. Simple, easy, refreshing….. and so delicious!
Give it a whirl and let us know how you like it!
Easy Ceviche Recipe
Easy Ceviche Recipe …with fresh fish, chili, lime, cilantro, avocado, tomato and cucumber…a simple healthy appetizer perfect for Cinco de Mayo | www.feastingathome.com
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6
- Category: appetizer
- Cuisine: mexican
- ½ red onion very thinly sliced
- 1 pound fresh fish- sea bass, red snapper, corvina, tilapia, or hamachi – diced into ¾ inch cubes
- 2-3 garlic cloves very finely minced ( use a garlic press)
- 1- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, start with 1, add more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ Cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 fresh serrano or jalapeño chili pepper seeded and very finely chopped
- ¾ Cup fresh lime juice ( 4-6 limes) freshly squeezed
- 1 Cup grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half ( or 1 cup diced tomatoes)
- 1 Cup diced cucumber
- 1 T olive oil (optional)
- 1 semi-firm Avocado- optional
Serve with chips, on mini tostadas or make tacos or stuff lettuce cups. Or serve with the Avocado Sauce.
Optional Avocado sauce:
- ⅔ C Avocado
- ⅓ C cilantro
- 2/3 C water- plus more as needed
- 1 T olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tsp coriander
- ⅛ C lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- cracked pepper
- Slice the red onion and salt generously and let stand 15 minutes until it begins to release its liquid. (this will removed some bitterness). Rinse well.
- Place fish, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, fresh chili, and lime juice in a shallow bowl, gently mix, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving. The longer you marinate the firmer the fish will become.
- Before serving, add the fresh cilantro, cucumber and tomato and a drizzle of olive oil, gently mix. Taste for salt and add more if necessary. If adding avocado, gently fold it in at the end, after everything is mixed, making sure to use one that is not too soft.
- To make Avocado Sauce, blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth, adding a bit more water if needed to get the blades going.