How to Make Ceviche!
How long to Marinate Ceviche?
Wondering how to serve Ceviche?
Or simply serve Ceviche in a shallow serving bowl with good tortilla chips like we do at home when we’re not catering. Simple, easy, refreshing….. and ohhhhhh so delicious!
Ceviche is best made fresh, the day of serving- but I do save the leftovers for the next day. The fish will continue to cook in the lime juice, so the texture will change but the flavors are still great. I’ve been known to eat Ceviche two days after making – if kept in a cold refrigerator.
Give it a whirl and let us know how you like it!
And just a heads up….if you like this, you will love these POKE BOWLS!!!
Easy Ceviche Recipe
Easy Ceviche Recipe …with fresh fish, chili, lime, cilantro, avocado, tomato and cucumber…a simple healthy appetizer, salad or main course.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: appetizer, salad, main, fish
- Method: marinated
- Cuisine: mexican
- ½ red onion very thinly sliced
- 1 pound fresh fish- sea bass, red snapper, corvina, dorado, mahi-mahi, tilapia, or hamachi – diced into 1/2 inch cubes.
- 2–3 garlic cloves very finely minced ( use a garlic press)
- 1– 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, start with 1, add more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼–½ Cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 fresh serrano or jalapeño chili pepper seeded and very finely chopped.
Start conservatively, more to taste.
- ¾ Cup fresh lime juice ( 4–6 limes) freshly squeezed ( try to use ripe limes)
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half ( or 1 cup diced tomatoes)
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 semi-firm Avocado, diced, as garnish, optional
Optional Avocado sauce:
- Slice the red onion and salt generously and let stand 15 minutes until it begins to release its liquid. (this will removed some of the bitterness). Rinse well.
- Place fish, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, fresh chilies, and lime juice in a shallow serving bowl, gently mix, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving. The longer you marinate the firmer the fish will become.
- Before serving, add the fresh cilantro, cucumber and tomato and a drizzle of olive oil, gently mix. Taste for salt and add more if necessary. If adding avocado, gently fold it in at the end, after everything is mixed, making sure to use one that is not too soft.
- To make Avocado Sauce, blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth, adding a bit more water if needed to get the blades going.
Serve ceviche with chips, on mini tostadas or make ceviche tacos or ceviche lettuce cups.
Serve in small appetizer cups or shot glasses with a mini fork.
Or plate it up with a little Avocado Sauce as a salad course.
Keywords: ceviche recipe, easy ceviche recipe, how to serve ceviche, best ceviche recipe, how to make ceviche, how long to marinate ceviche, what king of fish ceviche,