Grilled Veggies may be the quintessential summer side dish. Here is a simple basic method for grilling veggies on the BBQ. Smoky and carmelized they are delicious as is or ready for most any sauce and protein paring.
I want to sing like the birds sing, not worrying about who hears or what they think. ~Rumi
Grilling brings out so much savory goodness in the bounty of summer’s harvest. We keep it simple, grilling veggies with just olive oil and salt. They taste incredible as is- smoky caramelized gems of goodness.
We also love to sauce them up! When using a dressing, vinaigrette or sauce, we drizzle after the veggies come off the grill. This keeps the texture of the vegetables supple but not mushy or slimy. Marinating vegetables ahead of cooking, with heavy acid-based sauces- things like vinegar or lemon juice, can break down the fiber, resulting in a sometimes not ideal texture.
This is our go-to potluck dish. We always return home with a clean platter! Even without a sauce! Though we love serving with fresh Basil Pesto transcending this simple dish into gastronomic bliss.
Compliment with a grilled protein if desired and dinner is done!
What Veggies to Grill?
These are some of our top favorites but there are so many more!
- eggplant- slice in rounds or wedges. Grilling is one of the best ways to cook eggplant!
- summer squash- cut in thick slices. These cook quickly!
- mushrooms- grill whole with gill side down first. They will hold more of their juices this way.
- peppers- find the flatter side and slice so more of the pepper contacts the grill. These can take a lot of heat!
- onions- slice in rounds, can be a little tricky to keep together on the second side. A metal spatula can be helpful.
- radishes- grill whole. Don’t miss out on these succulent gems.
- bok choy- slice in half longways, the core will hold them together. Sweet, juicy and amazing!
- cabbage- slice in wedges or steaks, keeping the core attached with help hold it together.
- asparagus- grill whole.
- cauliflower- slice in steaks with core attached to hold it together. Start by cutting the head in half and then slice 2-4 steaks from there.
Slice the veggies a 1/2 inch to 3/8 of an inch thick.
A grill basket is also a great tool for some of the veggies that tend to fall apart, like cauliflower, onions etc.
Leaving mushrooms whole keeps their juices contain inside.
Liberally brush oil on veggies. You could also put them in a bowl and rub the oil in with your hands.
Get grill good and hot. Salt veggies on the grill.
As basil is at its height of glory we are serving Grilled Vegetables here with Fresh Basil Pesto.
There are so many directions you can take basic grilled vegetables. Sometimes we grill a big batch and use them for the week in different meals. Make a sandwich tucking the grilled veggies in a baguette or pita with pesto or hummus. Make a breakfast scramble. They are also ready to be sauced in whatever way you fancy, adapting to many flavor directions.
Try grilled veggies with:
A Middle Eastern flare and Green Tahini Sauce,
An Argentinean spin with Chimichurri Sauce,
Go Spanish with Simple Romesco Sauce Recipe
A spicy Asian crunch with Chili Crisp
You may also enjoy
- 35 Easy Delicious Potluck Ideas
- Simple Roasted Vegetables
- The Best Grilled Asparagus
- Grilled Veggie Kabobs with Harissa Yogurt
Grilled Veggies may be the quintessential summer side dish. Here is a simple basic method for grilling veggies on the BBQ. Smoky and carmelized they are delicious as is or ready for most any sauce.
- 2 bell peppers, cut into 4 pieces per pepper
- 1 onion, sliced in 1/2″ rounds
- 1 eggplant, slice in rounds or in wedges
- 2 zucchini squash, cut in thick slices about 1/2” thick
- 1 bunch of radishes
- 8 crimmini mushrooms, de-stemmed
- 1/2 head cauliflower, 2 or 3– 3/4” steaks sliced from the middle
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- sea salt
- Prep all your veggies, slicing and oiling.
- Heat up the grill with the lid closed, on the hottest setting. About 10 minutes.
- Place veggies on the hot grill with metal tongs, sprinkle with sea salt.
- Turn the burners down just a little. Still going for a high heat. Close the lid for about 4 minutes.
- Flip veggies over with the metal tongs. Another quick sprinkle of sea salt. Close the lid for another 4-8 minutes. Remove from grill when they are cooked to your liking. The veggies will continue to cook a bit after removing from the heat.
this recipe is for a gas grill
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 151
- Sugar: 6.9 g
- Sodium: 128.7 mg
- Fat: 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.5 g
- Fiber: 4.6 g
- Protein: 5.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Grilled veggies, how to grill veggies, how to grill vegetables, grilled vegetables, grilled vegetable recipe