Quick and Easy Chimichurri Sauce – an herby flavorful sauce that will quickly become your new favorite condiment that can be made in 10 minutes! Use it on steak tacos, Cauliflower Bowls, Poblano Turkey Burgers, Smashed potatoes, beef, chicken and shrimp! Vegan and Gluten-free!
This super flavorful Chimichurri Sauce recipe is one we often use in our catering business and one of our most requested recipes after an event. Chimichurri tastes herby, robust, pungent, earthy and a little tangy, and adds amazing flavor to grilled beef, chicken, fish, and vegetables.
We typically serve it up with grilled chicken or beef , and together it’s a match made in heaven! And if you’ve been here a while you’ll know it from these Grilled Chimichurri Steak Tacos,one of our most popular recipes to date! But it does wonders for vegan and vegetarian dishes too, brightening and elevating. Chimichurri is one of those versatile sauces that you’ll find a multitude of uses for.
What is Chimichurri Sauce?
Chimichurri Sauce originates from Argentina and is and flavorful, zesty herb sauce most often paired with grilled meats. It is typically made with fresh parsley or cilantro, oregano, garlic and olive oil.
What to use Chimichurri Sauce with?
Chimichurri Sauce pairs well with anything grilled – grilled beef or chicken, fish, or vegetables. It is delicious in grilled steak tacos or drizzled over Buddha Bowls. A spoonful or two swirled into a soup can often bring it from boring to exciting.
Add chimichurri sauce to elevate your avocado toast, roasted veggies, morning eggs, lunch wraps, or swirl it into yogurt for a flavorful chimichurri-yogurt sauce. There are truly so many ways to use this flavorful condiment!
How to make Chimichurri Sauce:
- This version of chimichurri sauce is simplified and can be made in a food processor.
- Add the herbs, onion, garlic and fresh chili and pulse.
- Place in a bowl and stir in the oil, lime juice ( or red wine vinegar) salt and spices.
- Store in the fridge in a jar for up to 4 days, or freeze!
Another twist in this version is the use of lime juice along with red wine vinegar, which I’ll often use to give it a summery feel. But this is interchangeable. Adding lime zest gives it a little burst of flavor.
Sometimes I’ll add fresh oregano to the chimichurri sauce which is fairly traditional, and sometimes I’ll leave it out and feature cilantro more prominently.
It is a personal taste, so do what you like!
Feel free to play around and make this Chimichurri Sauce your own, and let me know how you serve it up it in the comments below!
Chimichurri Sauce will keep 3-4 days in a sealed jar in your fridge, covered with a thin layer of oil.
Enjoy the sauce,
Use Chimichurri sauce in these recipes!
- Chimichurri Poblano Turkey Burger!
- Smoky Cauliflower Chimichurri Bowls
- Grilled Chilean Beef Kabobs with Chimichurri Sauce
- Chimichurri Shrimp
- Grilled Steak Tacos with Cilantro Chimichurri Sauce
Easy Chimichurri Sauce- a flavorful South American condiment (or marinade) made with cilantro to spice up steak, tacos, shrimp, chicken, or vegetables!
- 1/4 cup red onion ( or sub a small shallot)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1–2 tablespoon fresh red chili ( fresno or red jalapeno)
- 1 cup Cilantro, thin stems OK
- 1/2 cup Flat leaf Parsley, packed thin stems OK
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup olive oil, add more to the desired consistency
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ tsp smoked paprika– (optional –only if you like a smoky flavor)
- 1/4 teaspoon Aleppo chili flakes, for garnish
Place onion, garlic, and fresh chili in a food processor and pulse several times until very finely chopped. Add cilantro, Italian parsley, and oregano, pulse again until uniformly chopped.
Drizzle the top with olive oil and sprinkle with chili flakes (use Aleppo if you have them) and a cilantro sprig.
This will keep up to 4 days in the fridge, or freeze.
Feel free to finely chop the onion, garlic, herbs and chili if you don’t have a food processor.
Sub jalapeno for the red chili if you like.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
Keywords: Chimichurri recipe, Chimichurri sauce, authentic chimichurri sauce, chimichurri cilantro Chimichurri sauce recipe, how to make chimichurri sauce, what is chimichurri sauce, easy chimichurri, cilantro chimichurri