Chimichurri Sauce – a flavorful Argentinian Sauce packed full of herbs that will quickly become your new favorite condiment! Use it on steak tacos, Cauliflower Bowls, Poblano Turkey Burgers, Smashed potatoes, beef, chicken and shrimp! Vegan and Gluten-free! Video!
Chimichurri Sauce originates from Argentina and is and flavorful, zesty herb sauce most often paired with grilled meats. It is typically made with fresh parsley or cilantro, oregano, garlic and olive oil.
This super flavorful Chimichurri Sauce recipe is one we often use in our catering business and one of our most requested recipes after an event. Chimichurri tastes herby, robust, pungent, earthy and a little tangy, and adds amazing flavor to grilled beef, chicken, fish, and vegetables.
We typically serve it up with grilled chicken or beef, and together it’s a match made in heaven! And if you’ve been here a while you’ll know it from these Grilled Chimichurri Steak Tacos,one of our most popular recipes to date! But it does wonders for vegan and vegetarian dishes too, like this Cauliflower Chimichurri Bowl -brightening and elevating. Chimichurri is one of those versatile sauces that you’ll find a multitude of uses for.
Chimichurri Sauce Video
What you’ll need:
How to make Chimichurri Sauce
Finely chop all the ingredients and place in a bowl. ( Or use a food processor!)
Voila! That is it! This recipe makes about 1 2/3 cups.
Store in an airtight container or jar for up to 4 days in the fridge, covering with a thin layer of oil, to keep the herbs submerged.
- For a fresh, summery brightness, add lime juice along with the red wine vinegar.
- For a smoky flavor, add a 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika or 1/4 teaspoon of ground chipotle.
- Add zest- lime or lemon is nice!
- For a more authentic version, use more fresh oregano, cutting back the cilantro!
What does Chimichurri Sauce go with?
- spoon it over grilled chicken, beef or fish
- drizzle it over avocado toast
- spoon it over Buddha Bowls
- add to tacos, burritos or quesadillas
- toss with grilled or roasted veggies
- Toss with pasta for a light and flavorful pasta salad
- use as a marinade
- use as a flavorful side at potlucks and gatherings!
- Layer into sandwiches, paninis or wraps
Enjoy this flavorful Chimichurri Sauce, I know you’ll find many uses for it!
Use it in these recipes!
- Chimichurri Poblano Turkey Burger!
- Smoky Cauliflower Chimichurri Bowls
- Grilled Chilean Beef Kabobs with Chimichurri Sauce
- Chimichurri Shrimp
- Grilled Steak Tacos with Cilantro Chimichurri Sauce
Chimichurri Sauce – a flavorful Argentinian herb sauce that will quickly become your new favorite condiment that can be made in 15 minutes! Chop by hand or use a food processor.
- 1/4 cup red onion (or sub a small shallot)
- 2 fat garlic cloves
- 1–2 tablespoons fresh red chili ( Serano, Fresno or red jalapeno)
- 1 cup cilantro, packed (about 1 bunch) thin stems OK
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, packed, thin stems OK
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano (optional)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup olive oil, add more to the desired consistency
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Chop by Hand Version:
Finely chop the red onion, finely mince the garlic, finely mince the chili and place all in a medium bowl. Finely chop the cilantro and parsley and optional oregano and add to the bowl.
Food Processor Version:
- Rough chop the red onion, garlic, and fresh chili- and place in a food processor. Pulse several times until finely and uniformly chopped. Add cilantro, Italian parsley, and oregano, pulse again until uniformly chopped, not too fine.
- Place this in a medium bowl, stir in lime juice, vinegar, salt , pepper, then pour in 1/2 cup of olive oil, stirring, adding the remaining 1/4 cup a little at a time, creating your desired consistency.
- Drizzle the top with olive oil and sprinkle with chili flakes (use Aleppo if you have them) and a cilantro sprig.
- This will keep up to 4 days in the fridge, or freeze.
Chimichurri will keep up to 4 days in a sealed jar in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
Keywords: Chimichurri recipe, Chimichurri sauce, authentic chimichurri sauce, chimichurri cilantro Chimichurri sauce recipe, how to make chimichurri sauce, what is chimichurri sauce, easy chimichurri, cilantro chimichurri