This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
The secret to making Simple Roasted Vegetables in the oven that come out perfect every time. Easy, fast, and delicious! A healthy side dish that pairs with any meal. Vegan and Gluten-free.
‘Enough’ is a feast. ~ Buddhist proverb
Roasting vegetables in the oven couldn’t be simpler or easier, and most of you experienced cooks already know how to do this, in fact, I’m sure you could probably do this in your sleep! So this is for those who are new to cooking and roasting or perhaps just need a little refresher.
This post actually came about when I took these simple roasted veggies to my weekly “girls-night-out” gathering (sometimes we eat “in”) and one of my friends kept commenting on how good they were. She kept asking how I made them and what I put on them, and I was honestly puzzled, because she is actually a very experienced home cook.
I thought I’d share a few tips!
How to roast vegetables in the oven:
- Choose veggies that take roughly the same amount of time to roast. Root veggies (vegetables that grow underground) like carrots, parsnips, beets, and potatoes, are relatively dense compared to other veggies and take the longest to roast, 30-50 minutes, depending on what size you cut them. Winter squash are medium-dense so take less time, when peeled and diced.
- If someone were to ask me which veggies are best to roast? I would say, hands-down, root vegetables! Their natural sweetness and earthiness both get enhanced and elevated through roasting.
- Cut veggies so they are the same thickness. This ensures they roast quickly and uniformly. I try to keep root veggies at ½ inch thick.
- Roast vegetables on a parchment-lined sheet pan – and use an extra-large one! Or use two! They like space.
- Group different veggies separately on the sheet pan (instead of mixing them all together) just in case you need to remove some and not others.
- Keep it simple, with a light drizzle of olive oil, sprinkling of salt and pepper. This allows the flavors of the veggies to really shine.
- Use a hot, 425 F oven, middle rack.
- Check at 15 minutes, rotate pan and give a quick toss, continue cooking 5-15 minutes or until fork tender.
- I always like to include an onion and bell pepper for flavor. (Just a personal preference)
- Of course you can add a herb – thyme, rosemary, sage- all work well.
Make a big batch of roasted veggies for the busy workweek. Great for meal prep, they go with everything and can be used in salads, buddha bowls, wraps, or even turned into a soup!
We even enjoy these simple roasted veggies, just on their own, in a bowl, drizzled with Tahini Sauce.
Roasted Vegetables are perfect for potlucks and gatherings because they are healthy, go with practically everything, are vegan and gluten-free, and accommodate such a wide variety of diets.
More recipes you may enjoy
- How to Grill Veggies
- Pan-seared Turnips with Ginger Miso Glaze
- Crispy Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Red Kuri Squash
- Easy Roasted Asparagus
- 35 Easy Delicious Potluck Ideas
The secret to making Simple Roasted Veggies in the oven that come out perfect every time. Easy, healthy, delicious! Vegan and Gluten-free.
- 2 large carrots, peeled, sliced into 1/2 in rounds, halved into half-moons
- 2 parsnips, peeled, sliced into 1/2 in rounds, halved
- 1/2 –1 onion, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch chunks, or wedges
- 1 sweet potato cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- generous, 5 finger pinch of salt and pepper
- optional additions: other veggies of course, fresh herbs -thyme, rosemary, sage
- Pre-heat oven to 425F
- Cut veggies and place on a parchment-lined sheet pan. If your sheet pans are small, use 2 pans.
- Cut veggies and place them in rows.
- drizzle lightly with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and using tongs give a light toss.
- Place in the middle of the oven for 15-20 minutes, rotate, toss again, and continue cooking until fork tender, another 10-15 minutes.
- Place in a serving dish and cover to keep warm.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 156
- Sugar: 8.4 g
- Sodium: 49.7 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.2 g
- Fiber: 6.2 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: roasted veggies, roasted vegetables, how to roast veggies, how to roast vegetables in the oven, recipe for roasted veggies, easy roasted veggies, how to roast veggies, temp for roasted veggies