This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Last year I planted an herb patch. It has become one of the best investments ever. Our backyard gets a little sun and the only thing that seems to thrive are herbs, so most of our garden boxes have been slowly replaced with herbs, which we use in prolifically at home and in our catering business.
One part of my garden has a patch of mint. This is no ordinary mint. When I was a little girl, my parents bought a home in Southern California, and my mom planted a big mint patch on the side of the house for when she would make tabouli.
Well, eventually, after years and years, the mint spread and overtook the entire side of the house. When the windows were open we could smell the fragrant mint wafting through the air.
Thirty-five years later, the time came when we had to sell my parent’s house and as a keepsake, I dug up a little bit of my mom’s mint and brought it back home and planted in my own garden. Today, I have the same mint growing here, that my mom planted all those years ago.
I wish she could feel how happy it makes me to cook with something that originated from her. Perhaps she can.
The lemon zest in the salad brightens this up so pleasantly.
Quinoa Salad with Chicken, Chickpeas, Tomatoes and Mint
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Entree Salad
- Method: Tossed
- Cuisine: mediterranean
A delicious recipe for zesty Quinoa Salad with summer tomatoes, Chicken (or Chickpeas), mint, parsley and a zesty lemony dressing. | www.feastingathome.com
- 1 C Quinoa- rinsed
- 8 ounces cooked seasoned chicken ( baked chicken, crispy tofu, or extra garbanzo beans)
- 1 lb heirloom tomatoes- halved or diced
- 1 can rinsed, drained chickpeas
- 1 C chopped packed Italian parsley
- 1/4 C chopped packed mint
- 1/4 C finely diced onion
- zest from one lemon
- 1–2 C Arugula or Spinach (optional)
- 8 oz small mozzarella balls (halved)- optional or sub feta or goat cheese!
- 1/4 C plus 1 T olive oil
- 1/8 C red wine vinegar
- 1/8 C fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- Cracked pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Rinse Quinoa and place in medium pot with 1 3/4 Cup water and 1/2 tsp salt on high heat. Bring to a boil, cover and turn heat to low, and cook covered 15-20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed. Fluff with fork and cool in fridge, overnight or for 1 hour.
- To make dressing, mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- When quinoa has chilled, place in large bowl, fluff with fork. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, chicken or tofu, herbs, zest, onion and mozzarella balls (optional).
- Toss with dressing. If you like, place it on top of a bed of greens like arugula or mixed lettuces.
- Calories: 450
Keywords: quinoa chicken salad, quinoa salad with chickpeas, quinoa salad with chicken, quinoa chickpea salad
Love your recipes but have to have nutritional breakdown of all ingredients in the recipes for husband health
Please unsubscribe me
Hi Carole, the nutritional info is listed below the recipe card. Do you see it? If you would still like to unsubscribe, please do so at the bottom of the next email you receive. 😉
Made this for lunch this week- delicious and nutritious!
I’ll be watching for the recipe. I can’t wait to try it for my friend. Thanks for all you do.
I came across this recipe on Pinterest and sent it to my mom to try out. Thank you for posting this delicious-looking recipe!
I made this last week, but with brown gluten free couscous. It was good. Then this week I combined it with this kale salad http://jellytoastblog.com/2013/08/kale-salad-with-roasted-salmon.html/#comment-2718 . It was really good too. Thanks for the recipe
Now this is what i call a salad…..
Aww, so sweet, that mint must be so special. Love the gorgeous salad.
The mint IS special. Such a simple thing, but brings me so much happiness.
I love the story about your mom’s mint! I am sure somehow she feels your happniess!
The salad is beautiful!