This Black Bean Quinoa Salad is quick and easy to put together and full of fresh Southwest flavors- perfect for casual summer gatherings, potlucks, and BBQs. Vegan and Gluten-Free! Video.
Whatever breaks open our heart, mind or body can be the very invitation we need in order to look more deeply and be surrendered more thoroughly to the process that transforms our illusions. Love can use anything, including suffering, in the service of awakening. ~Dorothy Hunt
With soaring temperatures here in the Northwest, we’ve been turning to salads for dinner.
This refreshing Southwest-inspired Blackbean Quinoa Salad fits the bill and requires very little cooking. It keeps for up to 4 days in the fridge and is a nice thing to have on hand when it feels just too hot to cook.
Southwest Black bean Quinoa Salad | Video
What you’ll need for Black Bean Quinoa Salad:
- black beans
- red onions
- tomato (or bell pepper)
- corn ( fresh or frozen, or sub zucchini)
- olive oil
- salt and seasonings
Step 1: Cook the quinoa
Step 2: Char the corn. You can use fresh corn cut right off the cob or frozen corn. Char in a dry skillet.
Step 3: Chop the veggies and herbs.
Feel free to use vine-ripened tomatoes or cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes. Use both scallions and red onion.
Step 4: Rinse and drain the black beans. You can also use dry black beans, cooked ahead and cooled.
Step 5: Combine all the salad ingredients in a bowl.
Step 6: Add lime, zest, olive oil, spices and salt.
Taste and adjust seasonings, remembering that the beans and quinoa will soak up some of that salt and lime.
Refrigerate until ready to serve. Then add the avocado!
Step 7: When ready to serve, fold in the avocado. You’ll end up with about 6 1/2- 7 cups of salad.
Garnish with lime wedges and cilantro. Serve the Southwest Blackbean Quinoa Salad on its own or over a bed of dressed greens.
This hearty Black bean salad will keep up to four days in the refrigerator -a tasty healthy treat for midweek meals.
Enjoy this healthy vegan salad and let us know what you think in the comments below!
Other recipes you may like:
- Our BEST Quinoa Recipes
- Lemony Chickpea Quinoa Salad
- Broccoli Quinoa Cakes
- Carrot Salad with Quinoa and Almonds
- Lemony Chicken Arugula Quinoa Salad
- 35 Easy Delicious Potluck Ideas
Southwest Black Bean Quinoa Salad with corn, tomatoes, scallions, cilantro, lime and avocado- a tasty vegan salad that can be made ahead.
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (or 1 can rinsed and drained)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced (or sub sliced cherry or grape tomatoes, or 1 red bell pepper)
- 1 1/2 cup corn (fresh or frozen, frozen roasted corn is great here), charred
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2–3 teaspoons lime zest
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8–1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder (or 1–2 teaspoons adobo sauce from canned chipotle, or 1–2 teaspoons finely diced jalapeno)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large avocado, diced
- Rinse quinoa well to remove bitterness, drain, and place in a small pot with the water and oregano. Bring to a simmer, cover, cook on low heat until all the water is gone and quinoa is tender about 15 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes, fluff and cool.
- In a dry skillet, char the corn kernals over medium-high heat until lightly charred.
- In a large bowl, add black beans, tomatoes, charred corn, scallions, red onion, cilantro, and toss in the room temp quinoa. Add the dressing ingredients to the bowl; olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, maple, garlic clove, cumin, coriander chili powder, smoked paprika, chipotle powder, salt and pepper.
- Give a good stir and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and lime and chipotle powder to taste. Keep in mind the salad will soak up some of that salt as it sits, as will the avocado.
- Once satisfied, gently fold in the diced avocado. ( Or wait to add until right before serving.)
- Garnish with lime wedges and cilantro.
To add more heat, feel free to add finely diced jalapeno. To make this less spicy, leave out the chipotle and perhaps substitute with a little more smoked paprika.
If making this ahead, add the avocado right before serving and make sure to adjust seasonings, salt and lime right before serving.
Serve this on its own or over a bed of dressed greens.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 454
- Sugar: 7.1 g
- Sodium: 1098.3 mg
- Fat: 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 56.1 g
- Fiber: 14.7 g
- Protein: 13.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Blackbean Quinoa Salad, Southwest quinoa salad, tex mex blackbean salad, quinoa black bean salad, vegan quinoa salad,