Simple Lemony Roasted Asparagus baked in the oven with lemon, shallots, garlic and olive oil. This can be made in 30 minutes (with just 10 minutes of hands-on time)! An easy vegan side dish, perfect for spring.
Hey friends, what is better than fresh tender asparagus in spring! This simple recipe for Roasted Asparagus couldn’t be any eaiser- it’s fast and tasty and very adaptable. A delicious vegan sidedish to pair with almost any main. The best part? This healthy veggie can served at any meal- breakfast, lunch or dinner!
How to Roast Asparagus:
- Trim and toss asparagus with olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon zest.
- Add garlic and shallots if you like (for extra flavor).
- Place asparagus on a sheet pan, in a single layer.
- Baked at 400 F, for 15-25 minutes (depending on the thickness) until the asparagus is tender, yet vibrant and crisp.
What I like about this recipe, is you can prep the roasted asparagus ahead for meal-prep or entertaining (it will keep up to 3-4 days) and store in a ziplock in the fridge until ready to bake. It will marinate and get more flavorful over time!
Then just spread out on a sheet pan and roast when ready. How easy is that?
How to cut Asparagus:
Make sure to trim off the fibrous ends of the asparagus, they are tough and unpleasant to eat. Here’s how to tell where to cut.
- Hold one spear of asparagus in your hand, and with your fingers snap off the rough end.
- Note where it naturally breaks.
- Use this as a guide to trim the remaining asparagus, laying it next to the others.
- Cut the remaining spears to match this length.
It’s a simple recipe that hardly warrants a whole post. But it comes in so handy!
How to use leftover roasted asparagus:
- Asparagus Toast with Poached Eggs
- Spring Green Vegan Frittata
- Oven Baked Frittata with Veggies
- Baked Egg Frittata with Asparagus
- Quinoa Asparagus Salad (aka Spring Tabouli)
- Spring Orzo with Asparagus, Lemon and Dill
Let me know how you like this Simple Roasted Asparagus in the comments below!
Lemony Roasted Asparagus baked in the oven with lemon, garlic, shallots and olive oil. Can be made in 20 minutes! An easy vegan side dish, perfect for spring.
- 1 large bunch (1 lb) fresh asparagus, tough ends trimmed (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1–2 garlic cloves, finely minced (optional)
- 1 small shallot- finely sliced (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (divided)
- squeeze lemon juice
- Optional: finely grated parmesan or pecorino cheese, toasted nuts (slivered almonds, pecans, walnuts, or pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Toss trimmed asparagus with olive oil, garlic, shallot, lemon zest, salt & pepper. Lay them out in a single layer on a parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Roast until just tender, about 15-25 minutes, depending on size and thickness.
- Once tender ( yet still vibrant) place on a serving dish and finish with a little squeeze of lemon juice, more lemon zest and optional nuts or cheese.
To better gauge where to trim the asparagus, break one of the ends off. Where it naturally wants to break is roughly where you should cut the rest.
Pencil thick asparagus takes roughly 15-20 minutes of roasting. Based on this adjust your baking time.
Keywords: asparagus recipe, roasted asparagus, best roasted asparagus, roasted asparagus vegan, roasted asparagus garlic, baked asparagus, how to bake asparagus