This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
How to make the BEST Roasted Asparagus with olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, baked in the oven at 400F, in about 20 minutes! A fast, easy, healthy, vegan, vegetable side dish that pairs with so many things!
Hey friends, what is better than fresh tender asparagus in spring? This simple Roasted Asparagus recipe couldn’t be any easier- it’s fast and tasty and very adaptable. A delicious vegan side dish to pair with almost any main. The best part? This healthy vegetable can be served at any meal- breakfast, lunch or dinner! With just 5 minutes of hands-on time, asparagus roasts in the oven while you prepare the rest or your meal!
Asparagus is in season April-June and is a member of the lily family (liliaceae). Asparagus is spear-shaped and comes in a variety of thicknesses and is typically green in color, often with purple tips, some asparagus is grown to be white!
5 Health Benefits of Asparagus!
- Asparagus is one of the best prebiotics– nutrients that feed our healthy gut bacteria.
- High in flavinoids– very healing to the liver.
- A rich source of folate– which helps form red blood cells and supports healthy pregnancy.
- Full of healing polyphenols that reduce inflammation, and keep us young!
- Asparagus is high in fiber (particularly insoluble fiber) which supports digestion and helps keeps things regular.
Ingredients in Roasted Asparagus:
- 1 bunch of asparagus ( 12-16 ounces)
- olive oil
- garlic cloves
- one lemon
- salt and pepper
- chili flakes
- optional additions: toasted almonds or pinenuts, grated parmesan or pecorino
How to Prep Asparagus!
Break off the end of one spear of asparagus and note where it naturally breaks- use it as a guide to where to trim the rest of the bunch.
Trim off the tough fibrous ends of all the asparagus.
How to season Roasted Asparagus
How to Roast Asparagus
Place asparagus on a parchment-lined sheet pan, in a single layer.
What temperature to Roast Asparagus?
Bake in a preheated 400 F oven.
How long to roast Asparagus?
Depending on the thickness of the spears, asparagus takes 15-25 minutes to roast.
Ways to Dress Up Asparagus
- Squeeze with a little lemon juice and aleppo chili flakes
- Add toasted nuts- pinenuts, slivered almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese (the last 10 minutes of baking).
- Plate it over a Sauce: Gremolata, Green Tahini Sauce, or Peruvian Green Sauce (Aji Verde), and top with Pickled Red Onions
Why this is the BEST Roasted Asparagus
- The asparagus can be prepped ahead. Store marinated asparagus in a ziplock in the fridge for up to 4 days, or until ready to bake. It will marinate and get more flavorful over time! Then just spread out on a sheet pan and roast it when you are ready. How easy is that?
- It can be served in many ways- for breakfast with poached or scrambled eggs, for lunch, tossed in a pasta salad or buddha bowl, or for dinner alongside any main.
- Leftover roasted asparagus is great too- it will keep up to 4 days in the fridge and can be used in scrambles, stirfries, pastas, etc.
Ways to use roasted asparagus
- Asparagus Toast with Poached Eggs
- Spring Green Vegan Frittata
- Oven-Baked Frittata with Veggies
- Quinoa Asparagus Salad (aka Spring Tabouli)
- Spring Orzo with Asparagus, Lemon and Dill
- 20 Fresh & Healthy Asparagus Recipes
Hope you love this simple Roasted Asparagus Recipe as much as we do!
Simple Roasted Asparagus with olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, baked at 400F, in about 20 minutes. A fast, easy, healthy vegetable side dish that pairs with so many things!
- 12–16 ounces fresh asparagus (pencil-thin)
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced – use a garlic press
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- a squeeze of lemon juice (after it’s roasted)
Optional Garnishes: finely grated parmesan or try vegan cheesy sprinkle, toasted slivered almonds or toasted pinenuts, basil or flat-leaf parsley, chili flakes
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Trim asparagus: Hold one spear of asparagus in your hand, and with your fingers snap off the rough end. Note where it naturally breaks. Use this as a guide to trim the remaining asparagus, laying it next to the others. Cut the remaining spears to match this length.
- Toss the trimmed asparagus in a bowl with olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, salt & pepper.
- Lay spears out in a single layer on a parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Roast until just tender (yet still vibrant green), about 15-25 minutes, depending on size and thickness, tossing halfway through.
- Once tender squeeze with lemon juice, and give a good toss. Taste for salt, adding more if needed.
- Place in a serving dish and garnish with any of the optional garnishes.
Both marinated raw asparagus and roasted asparagus will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
For more flavor, add sliced shallot to the mixture.
- Serving Size: with 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Calories: 127
- Sugar: 3.5 g
- Sodium: 294.6 mg
- Fat: 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.3 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 4.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: asparagus recipe, roasted asparagus, roasted asparagus recipe, best roasted asparagus, roasted asparagus vegan, roasted asparagus garlic, baked asparagus, how to bake asparagus