This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
This simple flavorful Asparagus Mushroom Stir-Fry is loaded up with vibrant spring veggies in a simple sauce, with your choice of protein. It can be made in 20 minutes flat! Keep it vegan with crispy tofu, or add chicken or shrimp!
Fresh spring asparagus loves to be cooked in a wok. Quickly seared, on high heat for a short amount of time leaves it snappy, flavorful and vibrantly green. Paired with mushrooms, garlic and ginger, and your choice of protein, this is one of my all-time favorite asparagus recipes.
We love this with crispy tofu, it’s sooooo good – but if tofu is a “no-go” in your house, you can always sub chicken or shrimp.
Best of all, if you are organized, this can be made fast— 20 minutes flat!
How to make Asparagus Mushroom Stirfry
Step One: It starts with prepping your ingredients. Slice the mushrooms and asparagus, chop the ginger and garlic.
Pan sear the tofu and set it aside. ( Or see notes for chicken or shrimp).
Step Three: Make the quick stir-fry sauce, just whisking it together in a bowl.
Step four: Then stir fry the mushrooms, asparagus, garlic and ginger.
Look how vibrant the asparagus turns when you cook it hot and fast. I love how it keeps its color.
Step five: Add the stir fry sauce and the crispy tofu, cook 30-60 seconds more and serve!
How to serve it!
Serve it over a bowl of rice or on its own for a low-carb meal.
For a more upscale presentation, arrange asparagus, tofu, and mushrooms in a semi-circle. Drizzle sesame oil over top and complete the circle.
Play with this and have fun! Scatter with chive blossoms for added color and flavor.
On the homefront. This last glorious week was spent digging in the dirt, planting starts and seeds and readying the beds for this season’s harvest. I am constantly reminded how my mental state of mind is directly correlated with time spent outside in the natural world.
As a child, pulling weeds was my parent’s form of torture and punishment. Now it has become a reward. Being outside, my mind seems to settle down and rest, and I begin again to feel the connection to the earth and to all of life. As I worked in the garden, one thought kept coming up repeatedly.
It’s that…everything wants to grow! In my garden, there are weeds, there are volunteers and there are the seeds I plant every year. The dilemma then becomes one of space and time. There is simply not enough of both to grow everything. And so I begin to ask myself the question -what do I really want to grow in my garden? And of course, now, I’m really talking about the garden of life. Because everything will grow if we let it, and we only have so much time here. So. What do I truly want to grow in this life?
And how do I do so in a way that honors it with the space and care that is needed? Garden epiphanies…
More Asparagus recipes you may like:
- Shrimp Asparagus Stir Fry with Lemon and Basil
- Tarragon Chicken (or Tofu) with Asparagus, Lemon and Leeks
- Fennel Asparagus Salad
- Asparagus Risotto
- Broccoli Stir Fry with Tofu
Give this tasty Asparagus Mushroom Stir-Fry a try- I know you will looooooove it!
Vegan Asparagus Mushroom Stir-fry with Tofu (or chicken or shrimp) – a spring inspired, vegan stir fry that can be made in 20 minutes flat!
Stir fry Sauce:
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce (or sub-GF Bragg’s)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mirin or Chinese cooking wine (optional)
- 1 tsp sugar (or honey, or sugar alternative- maple syrup, coconut sugar.)
- chili flakes (optional)
- 8 ounces mushrooms- sliced (cremini, white button, or shiitakes)
- 1 pound asparagus, touch ends removed, cut into 2 inch pieces.
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu (or sub chicken or shrimp, see notes)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (optional – for extra crispy tofu, see notes)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar ( optional, but good)
- 2–3 tablespoons peanut oil (or coconut oil) -divided
- salt and pepper to taste
Serve this on its own or over Rice.
- Whisk together stir-fry sauce ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Prep the mushrooms, asparagus, garlic and ginger.
- Pat dry the tofu with paper towels, pressing down lightly to release a little water. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Place cornstarch, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon sugar in a medium bowl and mix well. Toss tofu in the corn starch mixture. (see notes)
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons peanut oil in a wok over high heat. Once hot, turn heat to medium-high. Shake excess cornstarch off tofu and carefully place tofu in the wok, working in batches (don’t overcrowd). Turn tofu carefully every minute or so, adding a little more oil if you need, until a least two sides are golden brown and crispy. Set tofu aside on a paper towel-lined plate.
- When all the tofu is done, wipe out the wok and gather all the prepped veggies and the stir fry sauce and place them near the stove, so there is no need to walk away.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Just as it begins to smoke, turn the heat to medium and add mushrooms. Stir fairly constantly for 2-3 minutes. Add asparagus, ginger and garlic, stirring for 2-3 minutes, until asparagus is just tender, but still crisp and vivid green.
- Add “Stir Fry Sauce” and stir to incorporate. Gently fold in crispy tofu at the very end right before serving. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide and garnish.
You can make this tofu without the cornstarch. This will lighten up the calories. The tofu will be less crispy (no crust) but it will still taste good. 🙂
To omit the cornstarch: Simply heat the oil, and season the oil itself with salt and pepper. Then fry the tofu in the seasoned oil, until golden on most sides. Resume recipe from there, removing tofu.
The same preparation can be applied to pieces of chicken (or shrimp)! Cut into small pieces, dredge in the cornstarch mixture, cook in oil until golden and crispy and cooked through. Set aside on paper towels, then toss in at the end with the stir fry sauce to keep their crispy texture!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 349
- Sugar: 6.5 g
- Sodium: 690.6 mg
- Fat: 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.2 g
- Fiber: 5.8 g
- Protein: 21.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: asparagus stirfry, tofu stirfry, tofu asparagus stirfry, asparagus mushroom strifry,