Here’s a quick and simple meal we had today that I thought I’d share because it was just so darn fast and easy- Broccoli Stir Fry! Use a protein of your choice- here I’ve kept it vegan and used tofu, but you could make this with shrimp, chicken or even beef. Serve it over noodles or rice, or just on its own.
Hey friends, I’m keeping it short and sweet this week. This Broccoli Stir Fry was lunch today and I couldn’t help but think how you probably have everything you need to make this in your fridge right now, so I thought I’d share it!
What I like about this recipe is how adaptable it is (use any protein you like: tofu, shrimp, chicken, beef, etc) and feel free to switch up the nuts. Here I’ve used cashews, but other nuts work well too!
I also love how quickly it comes together.
It would also work with other veggies as well. You get the idea. 🙂
Start with toasting the cashews in a dry skillet, and cooking the protein. See the recipe notes for chicken, beef or shrimp. Tempeh would also work here!
The flavorful Broccoli stir fry sauce is made with really simple ingredients.
Make sure to cut the broccoli florets tiny and as evenly sized as possible.
Serve this on its own, over noodles or over rice.
FYI: If you cook jasmine rice using this “pasta method”, the rice only takes about 15 minutes and it’s done at the same time as the stirfry. Kind of nifty. 🙂
Alright. Give a go. 🙂
Let me know what you think in the comments below!
Have a great week,
Other Stir Fry Recipes you may like:
- Asparagus and Mushroom Stir fry
- Zucchini Corn and Basil Stir fry
- Veggie Lo Mein!
- Chinese Eggplant with Szechuan Sauce
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Moo Shu Tofu
Quick and easy Broccoli Stir Fry with your choice of tofu, chicken, shrimp or beef. The simple stir fry sauce is made from scratch and is Gluten-free adaptable.
- 1/4 cup cashews (or peanuts)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (wok oil, coconut, or other high heat oil)
- 8–12 ounces tofu, extra firm ( or sub shrimp, diced chicken, thinly sliced beef)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 shallot , chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 3–4 cups broccoli, cut into very small florets
- 1/4 cup water or Chinese Cooking wine
- 3–6 dried red Chinese or arbol chilies
Broccoli Stir Fry Sauce:
- Cook rice if using. I use this pasta method for quickest cooking.
- Toast Nuts: If using raw nuts toast them in a dry skillet or wok over medium-low heat until golden, stirring often. Set aside. Skip this if using roasted nuts.
- Cook protein: Press tofu lightly with paper towels and cut into 1-inch cubes. Heat oil in a skillet or wok over medium heat. Sprinkle the oil generously with salt and pepper and give it a swirl. Pepper should smell wonderful. Add the tofu and let it form a crispy crust about 5 minutes- let it naturally release from the pan. It shouldn’t stick if you don’t fiddle with it. Turn it over and crisp up the other side. Place on a paper towel. See notes for chicken, shrimp and beef.
- In the same pan, adding a little more oil if necessary, add shallots, garlic and ginger, and saute over medium heat until golden and fragrant. Add Broccoli and give a stir for 2 minutes. Pour in the water or wine, stir, cover and let the broccoli steam for 3-4 minutes, or until broccoli is vibrant and just tender.
- While the broccoli is steaming, mix the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Remove lid and cook off any remaining liquid until the pan is relatively dry.
- Make a well in the center, add the dried chilies and toast for 45 seconds.
- Pour in the sauce, and give a stir to heat up.
- Add the crispy tofu (or other cooked protein) into the pan right before serving, warming and tossing to coat.
For fastest rice: Cook 1 cup jasmine rice in 4-5 cups boiling salted water ( like you would pasta), until tender, 10-15 minutes- then strain. Let stand in a strainer for a couple of minutes. Rice will be done by the time this recipe is done!
To cook shrimp, chicken or beef: Use whole peeled shrimp, 3/4 inch-cubed chicken, or thinly sliced beef. PAT DRY. Make sure to season the hot oil generously with salt and pepper, swirling. Add the meat and stir fry until cooked all the way through, or to your liking, over medium-ish heat. Set aside on a paper towel, continue on with the recipe, and add this back in at the end.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 324
- Sugar: 16.8 g
- Sodium: 972.1 mg
- Fat: 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 28.4 g
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 12.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: broccoli stir fry, vegan stir fry, tofu stir fry, tofu stir fry recipes, tofu stir fry with broccoli