Delicious Tofu Stir-Fry with Broccolini and Mushrooms (or sub chicken or shrimp)- a quick and easy weeknight dinner that is loaded up with healthy vegetables! Vegan and GF adaptable!
This simple, fast Tofu Stir-Fry with Broccolini and Mushrooms can also be made with chicken or shrimp! Lots of options here folks! Full of flavor, this recipe can be made in 20 minutes flat – perfect for busy weeknight meals. Feel free to substitute regular old broccoli, steaming it just a little bit longer.
Perfect over rice or just on its own, it’s hearty, satisfying and full of nutrients. Keep this vegan and GF or, for meat-eaters, substitute thinly sliced chicken or even shrimp for the tofu, cooking it the same way. Add peanuts or cashews for extra protein and crispy shallots for a boost of flavor and texture.
One of our healthy “go-to” meals when short on time!
I love this vegan tofu stir-fry, not only because it’s really flavorful, but because it’s just so quick and easy to make! Plus it feels healthy and light. Once the ingredients are gathered together, stir-fries are a very quick way to put a healthy dinner on the table. Feel free to add other veggies- matchstick carrots, shredded cabbage, sliced bell peppers- you get the idea. If tofu is not your thing, try tempeh! Although, I love the way this tofu is prepared….crispy and flavorful, a great intro if you are new to it!
Let me know how you like it!
Happy March! xo
For more healthy and fast weeknight dinners- go here!Print
Flavorful recipe for Tofu Stir-Fry with Broccolini and Mushrooms – this can also be made with shrimp or chicken -simple, flavorful vegan and gluten free, fast and easy!
- 8 ounces broccolini (or broccoli)
- 8–10 ounces tofu- patted dry, cubed ( or chicken or shrimp)
- 1 fat shallot- thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves- rough chopped
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced (or use button or cremini)
- 1–2 tablespoons coconut oil or peanut oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 4–5 chilies de arbol (dried red chilies)
- 2 tablespoons– chopped peanuts or cashews (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sweetened black vinegar (or sub rice wine vinegar with a teaspoon honey or sugar if vegan)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or GF Braggs liquid Amino Acids)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Place broccolini in a steamer basket, inside a medium pot with 1 inch water. Bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat down and simmer 5 minutes. Turn heat off. Uncover.
- At the same time chop the shallots, garlic and slice the mushrooms.
- Gather the rest of the ingredients together by the stove.
- In a wok or cast iron skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium high heat. When hot, season the oil with a generous 5 finger pinch of salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Add tofu (or chicken or shrimp) and brown all sides flipping and turning until most sides sides are golden and crispy, about 5-6 minutes. If it is sticking, make sure pan is well oiled, and let it develop a little golden crust before flipping. When it gets this “crust” it will naturally release itself from the pan- if it’s sticking, you may be flipping it prematurely. Set the tofu (or chicken or shrimp) aside.
- Add a little more coconut oil to the wok and heat. When hot, add shallot and garlic, stirring constantly until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add sliced shiitake mushrooms. Continue cooking turning heat to medium, stirring often until tender. Add dried chilies and optional nuts. Saute 1 minute.
- Add vinegar, soy and water. Stir. Using tongs, add the steamed broccolini and toss to coat. Add tofu, give a few stirs, coating all. Taste for salt, add more if necessary. Divide among two bowls.
- Garnish with Peanut Chili Crunch, crispy shallots, scallions or toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately.
Keywords: vegan stir-fry, broccoli stir-fry, tofu stir-fry, broccoli and tofu recipes, vegan broccoli recipes, broccolini recipes, tofu broccoli,