This simple and fast Broccolini Mushroom Stir Fry can be made with tofu or chicken. Full of flavor, this recipe can be made in 20 minutes flat – perfect for weeknight meals. Feel free to substitute broccoli, steaming it just a little bit longer. Perfect over rice or just on its own, it’s hearty, satisfying and full of nutrients. Keep this vegan and GF or, for meat-eaters, substitute thinly sliced chicken for the tofu, cooking it the same way. Add peanuts or cashews for extra protein and crispy shallots for a boost of flavor and texture. Yum!
Happy March! xo
Broccolini Mushroom Stir Fry
Flavorful recipe for Broccolini Mushroom Stir Fry- this can be made with tofu of chicken -simple, flavorful vegan and gluten free, can be made quickly and easily.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 2
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Vegan and GF
- 8 ounces broccolini
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil or peanut oil.
- 8-10 ounces tofu- patted dry, cubed
- 1 shallot- diced
- 5 garlic cloves- rough chopped
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced (or use button or cremini)
- 4-5 chilies de arbol (dried red chilies)
- 2 tablespoons- chopped peanuts or cashews (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sweetened black vinegar (or sub rice wine vinegar with a teaspoon honey or sugar)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or GF Braggs liquid Amino Acids)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Garnish- crispy shallots, scallions, sesame seeds
- Place broccolini in a steamer basket, inside a medium pot with 1 inch water. Bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat down and simmer 5 minutes. Turn heat off. Uncover.
- At the same time Chop the shallots, garlic and slice the mushrooms.
- Gather the rest of the ingredients together by the stove.
- In a wok or cast iron skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium high heat. When hot, season the oil with a generous 5 finger pinch of salt and fresh cracked pepper. Add tofu (or chicken) and browning all sides flipping and turning until most sides sides are golden and crispy, about 5-6 minutes. If it is sticking, make sure pan is well oiled, and let it develop a little golden crust before flipping. (When it gets this “crust” it will naturally release itself from the pan- if its sticking, you may be flipping it prematurely) Set the tofu aside.
- Add a little more coconut oil to the wok and heat. When hot, add shallot and garlic, stirring constantly until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add sliced shiitake mushrooms. Continue cooking turning heat to medium, stirring often until tender. Add dried chilies and optional nuts. Saute 1 minute.
- Add vinegar, soy and water. Stir. Using tongs, add the steamed broccolini and toss to coat. Add tofu, give a few stirs, coating all. Taste for salt, add more if necessary. Divide among two bowls.
- Garnish with crispy shallots, scallions or toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
- Notes: Feel free to sub thinly sliced chicken breast for the tofu. Cook it first according to the tofu directions, seasoning the oil first with salt and pepper. You can find sweetened black vinegar and crispy shallots at the Asian Market.