Delicious Tofu Stir-Fry with Broccolini and Mushrooms (or sub chicken or shrimp)- a quick and easy weeknight dinner that is loaded up with healthy vegetables! Vegan and GF adaptable!
This simple, fast Tofu Stir-Fry with Broccolini and Mushrooms can also be made with chicken or shrimp! Lots of options here folks! Full of flavor, this recipe can be made in 20 minutes flat – perfect for busy weeknight meals. Feel free to substitute regular old broccoli, steaming it just a little bit longer.
Perfect over rice or just on its own, it’s hearty, satisfying and full of nutrients. Keep this vegan and GF or, for meat-eaters, substitute thinly sliced chicken or even shrimp for the tofu, cooking it the same way. Add peanuts or cashews for extra protein and crispy shallots for a boost of flavor and texture.
One of our healthy “go-to” meals when short on time!
I love this vegan tofu stir-fry, not only because it’s really flavorful, but because it’s just so quick and easy to make! Plus it feels healthy and light. Once the ingredients are gathered together, stir-fries are a very quick way to put a healthy dinner on the table. Feel free to add other veggies- matchstick carrots, shredded cabbage, sliced bell peppers- you get the idea. If tofu is not your thing, try tempeh! Although, I love the way this tofu is prepared….crispy and flavorful, a great intro if you are new to it!
Let me know how you like it!
Happy March! xo
For more healthy and fast weeknight dinners- go here!Print
Tofu Stir-Fry with Broccolini and Mushrooms
Flavorful recipe for Tofu Stir-Fry with Broccolini and Mushrooms – this can also be made with shrimp or chicken -simple, flavorful vegan and gluten free, fast and easy!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 2
- Category: Main, stir fry, vegan
- Method: stir fry
- Cuisine: Chinese
- 8 ounces broccolini ( or broccoli)
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil or peanut oil.
- 8-10 ounces tofu- patted dry, cubed ( or chicken or shrimp)
- 1 shallot- diced
- 5 garlic cloves- rough chopped
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced (or use button or cremini)
- 4-5 chilies de arbol (dried red chilies)
- 2 tablespoons- chopped peanuts or cashews (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sweetened black vinegar (or sub rice wine vinegar with a teaspoon honey or sugar)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or GF Braggs liquid Amino Acids)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Garnish- crispy shallots, scallions, sesame seeds
- Feel free to add other veggies
- Place broccolini in a steamer basket, inside a medium pot with 1 inch water. Bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat down and simmer 5 minutes. Turn heat off. Uncover.
- At the same time chop the shallots, garlic and slice the mushrooms.
- Gather the rest of the ingredients together by the stove.
- In a wok or cast iron skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium high heat. When hot, season the oil with a generous 5 finger pinch of salt and fresh cracked pepper. Add tofu (or chicken or shrimp) and browning all sides flipping and turning until most sides sides are golden and crispy, about 5-6 minutes. If it is sticking, make sure pan is well oiled, and let it develop a little golden crust before flipping. (When it gets this “crust” it will naturally release itself from the pan- if its sticking, you may be flipping it prematurely) Set the tofu ( or chicken or shrimp) aside.
- Add a little more coconut oil to the wok and heat. When hot, add shallot and garlic, stirring constantly until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add sliced shiitake mushrooms. Continue cooking turning heat to medium, stirring often until tender. Add dried chilies and optional nuts. Saute 1 minute.
- Add vinegar, soy and water. Stir. Using tongs, add the steamed broccolini and toss to coat. Add tofu, give a few stirs, coating all. Taste for salt, add more if necessary. Divide among two bowls.
- Garnish with crispy shallots, scallions or toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
- Notes: Feel free to sub thinly sliced chicken breast for the tofu. Cook it first according to the tofu directions, seasoning the oil first with salt and pepper. You can find sweetened black vinegar and crispy shallots at the Asian Market.
Keywords: vegan stir-fry, broccoli stir-fry, tofu stir-fry, broccoli and tofu recipes, vegan broccoli recipes, broccolini recipes, tofu broccoli,