Green Bean and Tofu Stir Fry is full of crunch and flavor. Spiced up with red curry paste, shallots, ginger, and lemongrass for a quick and savory Thai-inspired meal. Vegan and GF.
Sometimes letting things go is an act of far greater power than defending or hanging on. ~ Eckhart Tolle
This Green Bean and Tofu Stir Fry is perfect for the end-of-summer garden goodies. We keep it simple and flavorful with fresh shallots, ginger, lemongrass, and garlic, along with a generous dollop of red curry paste.
The tofu is seared first and set aside (or try chicken or shrimp). The rest comes together fast in a skillet. The green beans are first dry-fried, blistering them a bit and giving them a toasty flavor while still keeping some fresh crunch. Vine-ripened tomatoes are added at the end, keeping them fresh and vibrant. This dish is excellent on its own or serve with jasmine rice or rice noodles.
Ingredients in Green Bean Stir Fry:
- tofu (or use chicken or shrimp)
- green beans
- red curry paste
- soy sauce
- rice vinegar
Cut tofu and let drain on a paper towel or dishcloth, getting out excess moisture.
Sear tofu in a skillet. Be patient; it will stick to the pan, but leave it alone and the tofu will form a crust and easily flip over with a metal spatula.
Prep out the veggies and have all the ingredients ready to assemble. Once everything is prepped, it comes together fast.
Heat up a pan and dry fry (meaning no oil) green beans until blistered but still crisp. Throw them in a hot pan, single layer, leaving for 2 minutes or so before stirring. When they just slightly start to relax, about 6-8 minutes, push them off to the edges of the pan.
Add oil, ginger, lemongrass, curry paste, garlic, stirring in the center for a minute until fragrant add shallots and mix in with the beans. Stir fry until shallots wilt. Add tofu, soy sauce, and rice vinegar, stirring until everything is coated and tofu is warm.
Add fresh tomatoes and serve with optional garnishes.
Stir fry garnish options
- Thai basil
- fresh mint
- squeeze of lime
You may also like:
- Broccoli Stir Fry with Tofu
- Stir-fry Tofu, Brussels Sprouts & Mushroom Bowl
- Asparagus, Mushroom and Tofu Stir-Fry
- Black Pepper Tofu with Bok Choy
- Zucchini, Corn and Basil Stir-fry
It has been glorious weather here. Gorgeous sunny days with billowy white clouds and the cool breezes of Autumn. I have been out walking in the transition hours of the day, sunrise and sunset. I recently heard that these are the times of day that are important to be outside for the production of serotonin. Just 10-30 minutes out in the changing light is so beneficial in promoting better sleep and just better well-being. I’m all for that! Plus there is something so magical in witness the sun rising and setting.
Hope you enjoy this stir fry!
Thai-inspired Green Bean and Tofu Stir Fry is full of crunch and flavor. Spiced up with red curry paste, shallots, ginger and lemongrass for a fresh and savory meal. Vegan and GF.
- 1 block tofu, 16 ounces (or use chicken or shrimp)
- 2–4 tablespoons avocado oil
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh or frozen lemongrass, minced
- 2 shallots, cut in half and then in thin slices
- 1 tablespoon Thai red pepper curry paste (please taste your curry paste! and adjust to your spice tolerance.)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, I like low sodium
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, or lime juice
- 1/2 lb tomatoes, cut in small wedges
- salt to taste
- Optional garnishes: peanuts, cashews, Thai basil, fresh mint, cilantro, squeeze of lime
Sear the Tofu
- Start by cutting the tofu into smallish cubes or squares. Set it on a plate lined with a couple of paper towels or a folded dishcloth, for about 10 minutes. Blot the top just to get excess moisture out. It is fine if it still has some moisture in it.
- Add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil to a skillet, sprinkle salt in the pan, and sear tofu. The key is to leave the tofu alone once it is in the pan, tofu likes to stick, but once it crisps, it will release itself from the pan. (If it is sticking, it is not ready to turn. ) Using a metal spatula turn over. Sear on both sides, adding oil if needed. Remove from the pan and set tofu aside.
For the Stir Fry
- Heat up cast iron skillet on high heat (if using the same pan as for the tofu, just wipe out oil with a paper towel before reheating). When the pan just begins to barely smoke, add the green beans, searing dry, no oil. Stir every 2 minutes or until lightly blistered but still crisp. When beans just slightly start to relax, about 6-8 minutes, push them off to the edges of the pan.
- Add oil, ginger, lemongrass, curry paste, and garlic, into the open center of the pan, while the beans rest on the outer edge. Stir for a minute until fragrant.
- Add shallots and mix in the center for another minute. Mix with the green beans. Stir fry until shallots wilt.
- Add tofu, soy sauce, and rice vinegar, stirring until everything is coated and tofu is warm. Season with salt if needed.
- Add fresh tomatoes and serve with optional garnishes.
I used Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste, it is not very spicy. Taste your brand and adjust to taste.
Keywords: tofu stir fry, green bean stir fry, thai green bean stir fry, green bean stir fry vegan, vegan green bean stir fry