- 1 block tofu, 16 ounces (or use chicken or shrimp)
- 2–4 tablespoons avocado oil
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh or frozen lemongrass, minced
- 2 shallots, cut in half and then in thin slices
- 1 tablespoon Thai red pepper curry paste (please taste your curry paste! and adjust to your spice tolerance.)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, I like low sodium
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, or lime juice
- 1/2 lb tomatoes, cut in small wedges
- salt to taste
- Optional garnishes: peanuts, cashews, Thai basil, fresh mint, cilantro, squeeze of lime
Sear the Tofu
- Start by cutting the tofu into smallish cubes or squares. Set it on a plate lined with a couple of paper towels or a folded dishcloth, for about 10 minutes. Blot the top just to get excess moisture out. It is fine if it still has some moisture in it.
- Add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil to a skillet, sprinkle salt in the pan, and sear tofu. The key is to leave the tofu alone once it is in the pan, tofu likes to stick, but once it crisps, it will release itself from the pan. (If it is sticking, it is not ready to turn. ) Using a metal spatula turn over. Sear on both sides, adding oil if needed. Remove from the pan and set tofu aside.
For the Stir Fry
- Heat up cast iron skillet on high heat (if using the same pan as for the tofu, just wipe out oil with a paper towel before reheating). When the pan just begins to barely smoke, add the green beans, searing dry, no oil. Stir every 2 minutes or until lightly blistered but still crisp. When beans just slightly start to relax, about 6-8 minutes, push them off to the edges of the pan.
- Add oil, ginger, lemongrass, curry paste, and garlic, into the open center of the pan, while the beans rest on the outer edge. Stir for a minute until fragrant.
- Add shallots and mix in the center for another minute. Mix with the green beans. Stir fry until shallots wilt.
- Add tofu, soy sauce, and rice vinegar, stirring until everything is coated and tofu is warm. Season with salt if needed.
- Add fresh tomatoes and serve with optional garnishes.
I used Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste, it is not very spicy. Taste your brand and adjust to taste.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 194
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 211.3 mg
- Fat: 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.3 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 11.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: tofu stir fry, green bean stir fry, thai green bean stir fry, green bean stir fry vegan, vegan green bean stir fry