Detoxing Sesame Brussel Sprouts and Tofu Bowl- with mushrooms, scallions and toasted sesame seeds. Vegan and Gluten-free.
During the weeks leading up to Christmas I tried this new diet. I called it the cookie diet. Basically, if it looked like a cookie, I ate it. 😉 Anyhow, after a couple of weeks of cookies, you can imagine how I felt. 🙁
It’s a good thing the New Year starts right after the holidays (perfect timing in my opinion), a great way to reboot and realign ourselves with our health goals. For the whole month of January, join me and let’s EAT CLEAN together, shall we? I’m cutting out wheat, I’m cutting out dairy, and I’m cutting out sugar. Let’s give our bodies a break and allow ourselves time to recover and feel energized again. I promise, nobody will starve! For ALL of January, you’ll see healthy, plant-based, clean and lean meals that can be made relatively quickly. Lightened up meals, with lots of healing veggies and fruits, lean proteins and whole grains.
For more motivation re-read my DETOX Page and if you are already a subscriber, know you will automatically be getting access to my detox recipes one more time in the next email, to help you with this. If you are not a subscriber yet, now is the time to sign up. Good things are coming.
To kick off January, here’s what I call at home our “10 minute dinner” – Sesame Brussels Sprouts and Tofu Bowl. Vegan, gluten-free, grain free, it’s tasty, filling and best of all, Brian looooooooves it too. To save time, I’ve use pre-shredded Brussels sprouts (from Trader Joe’s) but cabbage slaw or broccoli slaw work just as well. I’ve added mushrooms for depth, but feel free to leave these out or sub other veggies. This time I used pressed tofu, but regular tofu is just fine too and you can always sub shrimp, fish or chicken for the tofu (preparing it the exact same way). Make this in a wok or large skillet and once you have the ingredients ready, it comes together very quickly. A simple, humble, affordable meal. My favorite.
Sesame Brussel Sprouts, Mushrooms & Tofu
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 8–10 ounces tofu ( firm or pressed), blotted dry and cut into flat-ish cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 shallot or ½ onion- finely diced
- 10 ounces shredded Brussels sprouts, cabbage slaw or broccoli slaw
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms ( optional)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or Braggs GF Liquid Aminos
- Garnish: toasted sesame seeds (or Gomasio), toasted sesame oil, sliced scallions, optional nuts, optional sprouts and Sriracha
- Heat oil in a large skillet (or wok) over medium high heat.
- Season oil with a generous pinch salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Add tofu and sear all sides, turning heat down to medium if necessary.
- When golden, set tofu aside. Blot.
- In the same pan add a little more oil if necessary.
- Sauté shallot (or onion) over medium high heat, stirring until tender 2-3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms. Cook until tender, 3-4 minutes, turning heat down if need be.
- Add shredded Brussels sprouts and cook, continually stirring until tender and bright green, about 3 minutes. If pan feels dry add a splash of water or cooking wine.
- Keep the Brussels slightly crisp, yet tender.
- Stir in soy sauce.Taste for salt.
- Divide veggies among two bowls. Top with seared tofu. Drizzle with a little sesame oil, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds (or Gomasio), nuts if you want and scallions. Add Sriracha if you like.
- Serve immediately.
- NOTES: feel free to sub tofu with seared prawns, scallops, fish or even chicken.