This Stir-fry Tofu, Brussels Sprouts & Mushroom Bowl with scallions and toasted sesame seeds can be made in under 20 minutes and is vegan! Tasty and easy, perfect for a quick healthy weeknight dinner.
To kick off vegan January, here’s what I call at home our “15-minute dinner” – Stir-fry Tofu, Brussels Sprouts & Mushroom Bowl. Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, it’s tasty, filling, and best of all, my hsuband Brian looooooooves it too.
To save time, I use pre-shredded Brussels sprouts (from Trader Joe’s) but cabbage slaw or broccoli slaw work just as well. I’ve added mushrooms for depth, but feel free to leave these out or sub other veggies This time I used tofu, but you can always sub shrimp, fish or chicken for the tofu (preparing it the exact same way). Make this in a wok or large skillet and once you have the ingredients ready, it comes together very quickly. A simple, humble, affordable healthy plant-based meal.
During the weeks leading up to Christmas, I tried a new diet. I called it the “cookie diet”. Basically, if it looked like a cookie, I ate it. 😉 Anyhow, after few weeks of cookies, you can imagine how I felt.
It’s a good thing the New Year starts right after the holidays (perfect timing in my opinion), a great way to reboot and realign ourselves with our health goals. For the whole month of January, I typically shift into a plant-based diet. For motivation re-read my Plant-Based Page and if you are already a subscriber, know you will automatically be getting access to the plant-based guide in the weekly emails. If you are not a subscriber yet, now is the time to sign up. Good things are coming!
Hope you enjoy the fast and easy weeknight dinner! Let us know what you think in the comments below!
More recipes you may like:
- Broccoli Stir Fry with Tofu
- Szechuan Tofu and Veggies
- Black Pepper Tofu with Bok Choy
- Fiery Burmese Chicken (or Tofu) and Veggies
- Miso Tofu Bowl with Veggies!
- 8–10 ounces tofu ( firm or pressed), blotted dry and cut into flat-ish cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 shallot or ½ onion- finely diced
- 10 ounces shredded Brussels sprouts, cabbage slaw or broccoli slaw
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms ( optional)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or Braggs GF Liquid Aminos
- Garnish: toasted sesame seeds (or Furikake or Gomasio), toasted sesame oil, sliced scallions, optional nuts, optional sprouts and Sriracha
- Heat oil in a large skillet (or wok) over medium-high heat. Season the oil with a generous pinch salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Add tofu and sear all sides, turning heat down to medium if necessary. When golden, set tofu aside. Blot.
- In the same pan add a little more oil if necessary. Sauté shallot (or onion) over medium high heat, stirring until tender 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms. Cook until tender, 3-4 minutes, turning heat down if need be.Add shredded Brussels sprouts and cook, continually stirring until tender and bright green, about 3 minutes. If pan feels dry add a splash of water or cooking wine. Keep the Brussels slightly crisp, yet tender.
- Stir in soy sauce. Taste for salt, adjusting if you like.
- Divide veggies among two bowls. Top with seared tofu. Drizzle with a little sesame oil, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds (or Furikake or Gomasio), nuts if you want and scallions. Add Sriracha if you like.
- Serve immediately.
Furikake Seasoning is delicious here!
Feel free to sub the tofu with seared prawns, scallops, fish or even chicken.
Keywords: tofu stir fry, vegan stir fry, stir-fried tofu, stir-fried brussel sprouts,