This simple, Miso Tofu Bowl is FAST, healthy and and can be made on a sheet pan. It’s affordable, low in calories (under 300!) and can be easily adapted for meat- eaters living under the same roof by substituting salmon or chicken for the tofu.
This very simple Miso Tofu Bowl came about one evening when I didn’t feel like going the grocery store. I combed through the fridge and gathered what we had – basically a few carrots and a block of tofu. It truly is amazing what you can create a meal out of!
I fired up the oven, and blend up a quick marinade. Even though the recipe is really basic and simple, it is tasty, satisfying and nutritious. And of course, feel free to add other veggies or proteins ( like chicken, shrimp or salmon) to the mix and make this your own. It is very adaptable!
For more easily “Adaptable” recipes for mixed households make sure to visit the Adaptable Category in the Recipe Index.
A quick note on honey. Here I’m using a local honey for the marinade (South Perry Honey). There are so many health benefits to eating honey- especially local, raw, unpasteurized, unfiltered honey- it’s truly amazing especially if you are one to get seasonal allergies.
Consuming your own local honey can really help with this. It’s because the little bits of pollen in your local honey, basically help to inoculate you and make you more immune to the pollen in your area. Don’t take my word for it, do you own research, try it, and see for yourself!
And of course vegans can sub maple syrup.
So for the Miso Tofu Bowl, cut carrots ( or other veggies like parsnips, sweet potatoes or other veggies) at a diagonal to about ½ inch thick.
Then blend up the simple marinade in a blender.
Pour it over the tofu and the veggies Here you could add chicken breast or salmon too ( making sure to season with salt and peppers well) and other veggies.
Into the oven it goes…. and when it is done, the tofu and carrots have this lovely delicious caramelization. It’s so good!
When it comes out sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and fresh herbs or scallions. For added protein, toasted cashews would be a nice addition here too.
How easy is that?
A delicious meal that is low in calories ( under 300 per serving! ) and is vegan adaptable by swapping out the maple for the honey.
A simple vegan adaptable dinner that only takes a few minutes of hands on time!
For more quick and easy SHEET PAN DINNERS ….visit this post!
Miso Tofu Bowl
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: vegan, sheet pan dinner, main
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: japanese
- 4 large carrots- peeled or scrubbed ( or sub sweet potato, yam, parsnips or other veggies)
- 8 ounces tofu – extra firm ( or add salmon or chicken breast…see notes)
- salt and pepper and optional chili flakes to taste
- Garnish- Orange zest ( optional) toasted sesame seeds, nuts, ¼ cup cilantro or scallions
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Make the marinade, blending all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Slice carrots at an angle into ⅓ -½ inch disks, then half-moons.
- Blot tofu with paper towels and slice into ¾- 1 inch slices, blot again.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment.
- Place carrots in single layer on the sheet pan, and beside them add the tofu.
- Season the tofu (or salmon chicken) with salt and pepper – and if you like, add chili flakes.
- Spoon or brush on the honey–miso marinade generously over the tofu and drizzle an remaining over the carrots. If carrots seem dry, drizzle with a little more oil. Give a quick toss, spread out, and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Divide carrots among two bowls, top with tofu. Garnish with fresh orange zest ( optional) , toasted sesame seeds and some fresh cilantro ( or scallions).
If using salmon, it will cook much faster than the carrots. Depending on how thick, it may only need 10-15 in the oven, so either take it out early, or put it in later. Chicken breast ( boneless) will cook relatively the same amount of time as carrots ( give or take) but always check as thicker or larger breasts will obviously take longer, and smaller may take less time.
Keywords: miso tofu, baked tofu, miso tofu bowl, tofu buddha bowl, roasted carrots, miso carrots, sheet pan dinner tofu