This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Wondering what to do with young pea shoots? These stir-fried pea shoots are incredibly easy to make and full of flavor; a tasty spring side dish that comes together in 15 minutes! Vegan.
While in China several years ago, visiting the Yanshou river, our river guide pulled his little boat over to this small primitive village that had a outdoor restaurant, primarily for locals. We felt a little out of place, and had no idea what the menu said, so we just pointed to what other people were eating and this these pea shoots were one of the things that arrived. I was smitten.
Pea shoots are the young climbing tendrils of peas, before they grow big enough to produce pea pods. They taste like a cross between peas and spinach and are such delicate and lovely little creatures, I almost feel a little guilty eating them.
Table of Contents
Ingredients in Pea Shoots Recipe
- Peanut oil– or other high-heat oil. Peanut oil ads a lovely flavor here, but since the pan isn’t getting overly hot, olive oil would work fine.
- Garlic cloves– give a nice punch of flavor.
- Shallot- adds a subtle sweetness and depth
- Chili flakes or whole arbol chilies- for heat, both optional
- Baby pea shoots- you’ll need more than you think; they cook down to about 1/5 of their volume when fresh. Keep in mind mature pea shoots can be overly fibrous and stringy, so if using, chop them first.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chinese wine, mirin, or dry sherry– Traditionally, Chinese wine, also called Shaoxing, is used, but I’ve been subbing mirin, sweeter, but tasty! Up to you.
Stir-Fried Pea Shoots Instructions
Step one: Prep your shallot and garlic and gather all ingredients by the stove. The cooking part takes only 5 minutes, so be ready to go, once you heat the pan.
Step Two: Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and saute 2 minutes until fragrant, and just golden, stirring often. Add the chili flakes and stirfry 30 seconds. Add the baby pea shoots.
Step three: Stir fry the pea shoots for 30-60 seconds, seasoning it with salt and pepper. Splash with the mirin, and cook it off for 30 seconds. Turn heat off.
Serve immediately. I can’t tell you how much I love this pea shoot recipe-so quick and simple yet, so much flavor! It feels very nourishing to the body.
Pea shoots FAQS
Pea shoots are the young pea tendrils or sprouts that grow from the ground before they mature and produce pea pods. Pea shoots are harvested a few weeks after planting when they are still young and tender.
Pea Shoots offer up many micronutrients, including Vitamins K, A, and C, and are rich in antioxidants and phytonutrients that support our health and immune system.
Pea shoots are delicious eaten raw, and added to salads, sandwiches, tacos and wraps, especially if you only have a small amount. In larger amounts, pea shoots are very tasty when lightly sauteed or stir-fried and pair well with garlic and shallots.
What to serve with Stir-Fried Pea Shoots
Enjoy the pea shoots, remember when buying them, buy more than you think; 4 cups packed, yeids 1 cup cooked. 🙂 Go here for more! 40 Fresh & Healthy Spring Recipes
Have a lovely weekend. ❤️
⭐️ Please remember to rate the recipe and tell us how you adapted it, below.Print
Pea Shoots Recipe
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: side dish
- Method: stir fry
- Cuisine: Chinese-inspired
- Diet: Vegan
Wondering what to do with young pea shoots? These stir-fried pea shoots are incredibly easy to make and full of flavor; a tasty spring side dish that comes together in 15 minutes!
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil– (or olive oil, avocado, coconut)
- 4–6 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 6–8 ounces pea shoots (about 8 cups)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons mirin, see notes
- Prep all ingredients and gather near the stove.
- Heat oil in a wok, or large saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and shallot and stir fry 2 minutes until fragrant and just lightly golden, add chili flakes, stir fry 30 seconds.
- Add pea shoots. Stir fry 1 minute, seasoning with salt and pepper. Add the mirin, and cook this off 1 last minute.
- Serve Immediatly!
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 174
- Sugar: 11.3 g
- Sodium: 1363.6 mg
- Fat: 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.7 g
- Fiber: 4.2 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: pea shoots, pea shoots recipe, stir fried pea shoots, stir fry pea shoots, how to cook pea shoots, vegan pea shoots