Quick and easy Broccoli Stir Fry with your choice of tofu, chicken, shrimp or beef. The simple stir fry sauce is made from scratch and is Gluten-free adaptable.
- 1/4 cup cashews (or peanuts)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (wok oil, coconut, or other high heat oil)
- 8–12 ounces tofu, extra firm ( or sub shrimp, diced chicken, thinly sliced beef)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 shallot , chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 3–4 cups broccoli, cut into very small florets
- Splash Chinese Cooking wine ( optional)
- 3–6 dried red Chinese or arbol chilies
Broccoli Stir Fry Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (or gluten-free Braggs Liquid Aminos)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chili paste (or Sriracha), more to taste
1/4 teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- Start jasmine rice if using.
- Mix the stir-fry sauce ingredients together in a small bowl, set aside.
- Toast Nuts: If using raw nuts toast them in a dry skillet or wok over medium-low heat until golden, stirring often. Set aside. Skip this if using roasted nuts.
- Cook protein: Press tofu lightly with paper towels and cut into 1-inch cubes. Heat oil in a skillet or wok over medium heat. Sprinkle the oil generously with salt and pepper and give it a swirl. Pepper should smell wonderful. Add the tofu and let it form a crispy crust about 5 minutes- let it naturally release from the pan. It shouldn’t stick if you don’t fiddle with it. Turn it over and crisp up the other side. Place on a paper towel. See notes for chicken, shrimp and beef.
- In the same pan, add a little more oil if necessary, add shallots, garlic and ginger, and saute over medium heat until golden and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add broccoli, lower heat, and cook, stirring often, 4-5 minutes, until tender. Splash with Chinese cooking wine-optional (or skip it) and cook the wine off.
- Make a well in the center of the broccoli, add the dried chilies and toast for 45 seconds, turning on your hood fan.
- Pour in the stirfy sauce, and give a stir to incorporate all.
- Add the crispy tofu (or other cooked protein) into the pan right before serving, warming and tossing to coat. Serve or rice and garnish!
To cook shrimp, chicken or beef: Use whole peeled shrimp, 3/4 inch-cubed chicken, or thinly sliced beef. PAT DRY. Make sure to season the hot oil generously with salt and pepper, swirling. Add the meat and stir fry until cooked all the way through, or to your liking, over medium-ish heat. Set aside on a paper towel, continue on with the recipe, and add this back in at the end.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 324
- Sugar: 16.8 g
- Sodium: 972.1 mg
- Fat: 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 28.4 g
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 12.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: broccoli stir fry, vegan stir fry, tofu stir fry, tofu stir fry recipes, tofu stir fry with broccoli