Quick and easy Broccoli Stir Fry with your choice of tofu, chicken, shrimp or beef. The simple stir fry sauce is made from scratch and is Gluten-free adaptable.
- 1/4 cup cashews (or peanuts)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (wok oil, coconut, or other high heat oil)
- 8–12 ounces tofu, extra firm ( or sub shrimp, diced chicken, thinly sliced beef)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 shallot , chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 3–4 cups broccoli, cut into very small florets
- 1/4 cup water or Chinese Cooking wine
- 3–6 dried red Chinese or arbol chilies
Broccoli Stir Fry Sauce:
- Cook rice if using. I use this pasta method for quickest cooking.
- Toast Nuts: If using raw nuts toast them in a dry skillet or wok over medium-low heat until golden, stirring often. Set aside. Skip this if using roasted nuts.
- Cook protein: Press tofu lightly with paper towels and cut into 1-inch cubes. Heat oil in a skillet or wok over medium heat. Sprinkle the oil generously with salt and pepper and give it a swirl. Pepper should smell wonderful. Add the tofu and let it form a crispy crust about 5 minutes- let it naturally release from the pan. It shouldn’t stick if you don’t fiddle with it. Turn it over and crisp up the other side. Place on a paper towel. See notes for chicken, shrimp and beef.
- In the same pan, adding a little more oil if necessary, add shallots, garlic and ginger, and saute over medium heat until golden and fragrant. Add Broccoli and give a stir for 2 minutes. Pour in the water or wine, stir, cover and let the broccoli steam for 3-4 minutes, or until broccoli is vibrant and just tender.
- While the broccoli is steaming, mix the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Remove lid and cook off any remaining liquid until the pan is relatively dry.
- Make a well in the center, add the dried chilies and toast for 45 seconds.
- Pour in the sauce, and give a stir to heat up.
- Add the crispy tofu (or other cooked protein) into the pan right before serving, warming and tossing to coat.
For fastest rice: Cook 1 cup jasmine rice in 4-5 cups boiling salted water ( like you would pasta), until tender, 10-15 minutes- then strain. Let stand in a strainer for a couple of minutes. Rice will be done by the time this recipe is done!
To cook shrimp, chicken or beef: Use whole peeled shrimp, 3/4 inch-cubed chicken, or thinly sliced beef. PAT DRY. Make sure to season the hot oil generously with salt and pepper, swirling. Add the meat and stir fry until cooked all the way through, or to your liking, over medium-ish heat. Set aside on a paper towel, continue on with the recipe, and add this back in at the end.
Keywords: broccoli stir fry, vegan stir fry, tofu stir fry, tofu stir fry recipes, tofu stir fry with broccoli