Vegan Asparagus Mushroom Stir-fry with Tofu (or chicken or shrimp) – a spring inspired, vegan stir fry that can be made in 20 minutes flat!
Stir fry Sauce:
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce (or sub-GF Bragg’s)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mirin or Chinese cooking wine (optional)
- 1 tsp sugar (or honey, or sugar alternative- maple syrup, coconut sugar.)
- chili flakes (optional)
- 8 ounces mushrooms- sliced (cremini, white button, or shiitakes)
- 1 pound asparagus, touch ends removed, cut into 2 inch pieces.
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu (or sub chicken or shrimp, see notes)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (optional – for extra crispy tofu, see notes)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar ( optional, but good)
- 2–3 tablespoons peanut oil (or coconut oil) -divided
- salt and pepper to taste
Serve this on its own or over Rice.
- Whisk together stir-fry sauce ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Prep the mushrooms, asparagus, garlic and ginger.
- Pat dry the tofu with paper towels, pressing down lightly to release a little water. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Place cornstarch, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon sugar in a medium bowl and mix well. Toss tofu in the corn starch mixture. (see notes)
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons peanut oil in a wok over high heat. Once hot, turn heat to medium-high. Shake excess cornstarch off tofu and carefully place tofu in the wok, working in batches (don’t overcrowd). Turn tofu carefully every minute or so, adding a little more oil if you need, until a least two sides are golden brown and crispy. Set tofu aside on a paper towel-lined plate.
- When all the tofu is done, wipe out the wok and gather all the prepped veggies and the stir fry sauce and place them near the stove, so there is no need to walk away.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Just as it begins to smoke, turn the heat to medium and add mushrooms. Stir fairly constantly for 2-3 minutes. Add asparagus, ginger and garlic, stirring for 2-3 minutes, until asparagus is just tender, but still crisp and vivid green.
- Add “Stir Fry Sauce” and stir to incorporate. Gently fold in crispy tofu at the very end right before serving. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide and garnish.
You can make this tofu without the cornstarch. This will lighten up the calories. The tofu will be less crispy (no crust) but it will still taste good. 🙂
To omit the cornstarch: Simply heat the oil, and season the oil itself with salt and pepper. Then fry the tofu in the seasoned oil, until golden on most sides. Resume recipe from there, removing tofu.
The same preparation can be applied to pieces of chicken (or shrimp)! Cut into small pieces, dredge in the cornstarch mixture, cook in oil until golden and crispy and cooked through. Set aside on paper towels, then toss in at the end with the stir fry sauce to keep their crispy texture!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 349
- Sugar: 6.5 g
- Sodium: 690.6 mg
- Fat: 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.2 g
- Fiber: 5.8 g
- Protein: 21.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: asparagus stirfry, tofu stirfry, tofu asparagus stirfry, asparagus mushroom strifry,