This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Sometimes it can take a while on vacation. I am discovering that my favorite days of all, are days without plans. Letting a day unfold on its own with no schedule to adhere to, is pure luxury. And a day with no plans often brings the best surprises.
Asparagus Toast starts with fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut in half ( about 4 inch pieces) and roasted in the oven with good olive oil, salt and pepper and lemon zest. You could stop there and it would be perfect just like that.
The asparagus Toast is topped with poached eggs….and if you have access to fresh eggs, these are by far the best. Otherwise, organic, hormone free.
While the asparagus and bread are in the oven, poach some eggs and make a warm bacon vinaigrette. Instead of bacon, you could use mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, Spanish chorizo, or pancetta. I really enjoy the smokiness of bacon or chorizo paired with the soft poached egg and asparagus, but this is a personal preference.
To make the bacon vinaigrette, sauté a quarter cup of finely diced shallot or onion in some olive oil. Add 1/3 C crumbled cooked bacon. Let it warm up for about 1 minute. Whisk in a teaspoon of whole grain mustard and a small splash of balsamic.
One of my favorite things about Paris, are the all the tiny markets on just about every block that have fresh eggs, a small selection of seasonal produce and simple basics. Close by there is a cheese store, and down the way, a bakery. I don’t even remember seeing a “supermarket”.
I am reminded by that lovely day in France to slow down. To clear a day every now and then to just meander. To let the day unfold and surprise. And perhaps reexamine my priorities, and cut out what is not essential.
Yes, we must work to pay the bills. But if we simplified our lives enough, and needed less, perhaps we could work less? Do I need to be constantly filling up my days with so many activities, meetings, appointments, that I spend all my time, driving around town anxious and unhappy?
In the spirit of taking responsibility for the life I have created, I need to take ownership of the fact, that I created this. And I can choose, if I want, to create a different life.
Something to ponder….
And in the meantime, Asparagus Toast!
A simple Breakfast ( or dinner! ) of fresh asparagus, toast, poached eggs and a warm bacon vinaigrette.
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed, then cut in half ( so you have 3–4 inch pieces)
- olive oil to coat
- generous pinch salt, pepper
- lemon zest
- 4 eggs- poached
- 4 pieces of toast- toasted
- 400 F oven
- Toss asparagus with oil, salt, pepper and lemon zest. Place on a sheet pan and roast 12-15 minutes.
- While the asparagus is in the oven, poach the eggs, toast the bread and make the warm bacon vinaigrette.
- To make the vinaigrette, sauté a quarter cup of finely diced shallot or onion in 3 tablespoons olive oil until tender. Add 1/3 C crumbled cooked bacon. Let it warm up for about 1 minute. Whisk in a teaspoon of whole grain mustard and a small splash of balsamic.
- When your asparagus is just tender, after about 12- 15 minutes in a 400F degree oven, pull it out.
- Lay the slices of bread on a plate. Place 4 pieces of asparagus in the same direction. You could use the ends for the bottom layer. Drizzle a little of your warm vinaigrette. Then place your second layer of asparagus, crosswise, tips all on the same side. Place your poached egg on top, garnish with more warm vinaigrette and lemon zest.
- Calories: 495
Keywords: poached eggs with asparagus, asparagus toast