It starts with fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut in half ( about 4 inch pieces) and roasted in the oven with good olive oil, salt and pepper and lemon zest. You could stop there and it would be perfect just like that.
Fresh eggs….if you have access to fresh eggs, these are by far the best. Otherwise, organic, hormone free.
While the asparagus and bread are in the oven, poach some eggs and make a warm bacon vinaigrette. Instead of bacon, you could use mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, Spanish chorizo, red peppers, or pancetta. I really enjoy the smokiness of bacon or chorizo paired with the soft poached egg and asparagus, but this is a personal preference. To make the vinaigrette, sauté a quarter cup of finely diced shallot or onion in some olive oil. Add 1/3 C crumbled cooked bacon. Let it warm up for about 1 minute. Whisk in a teaspoon of whole grain mustard and a small splash of balsamic.
One of my favorite things about Paris, are the all the tiny markets on just about every block that have fresh eggs, a small selection of seasonal produce and simple basics. Close by there is a cheese store, and down the way, a bakery. I don’t even remember seeing a “supermarket”.
We live in a different world here. Our lives are busy. Time is always too short. In our effort to be efficient with time, we find, that we loose it all together. All this hurrying right now, just so that we have more time later. We all know the sad truth about “later”.
I am reminded by that lovely day in France … to slow down. To clear a day every now and then to just meander. To let the day unfold and surprise me. To stroll. It reminds me also, to reexamine my priorities, and begin to cut out the extraneous. Yes, we must work to pay the bills. But if we simplified our lives enough, and needed less stuff, perhaps we could work less? Do we need to be constantly filling up our days with so many activities, meetings, appointments, that we spend all our time off, driving around town?
In the spirit of taking responsibility for the life I have created, I need to take ownership of the fact, that there must be a part of me that likes all this busyness. And the question, I must ask is…. why?
Asparagus with Poached Egg and Warm Bacon Vinaigrette
A simple Breakfast ( or dinner! ) of fresh asparagus, toast, eggs and a warm bacon vinaigrette.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: French
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed, then cut in half ( so you have 3–4 inch pieces)
- olive oil to coat
- generous pinch salt, pepper
- lemon zest
- 4 eggs- poached
- 4 pieces of toast- toasted
- Bacon Vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup shallot ( or finely diced red onion) – diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- 1/3 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- generous splash balsamic vinegar
- 400 F oven
- Toss asparagus with oil, salt, pepper and lemon zest. Place on a sheet pan and roast 12-15 minutes.
- While the asparagus is in the oven, poach the eggs, toast the bread and make the warm bacon vinaigrette.
- To make the vinaigrette, sauté a quarter cup of finely diced shallot or onion in 3 tablespoons olive oil until tender. Add 1/3 C crumbled cooked bacon. Let it warm up for about 1 minute. Whisk in a teaspoon of whole grain mustard and a small splash of balsamic.
- When your asparagus is just tender, after about 12- 15 minutes in a 400F degree oven, pull it out.
- Lay the slices of bread on a plate. Place 4 pieces of asparagus in the same direction. You could use the ends for the bottom layer. Drizzle a little of your warm vinaigrette. Then place your second layer of asparagus, crosswise, tips all on the same side. Place your poached egg on top, garnish with more warm vinaigrette and lemon zest.