This Lemony Broccoli Chicken Orzo Pasta Bake is simple and easy to make and full of delicious flavor! Cooked and baked in one pot or skillet, it’s comforting, healthy, and ready in just 45 minutes! A simple tasty weeknight dinner recipe.
There is a beautiful harmony of flavors in this skillet meal created from just a few basic ingredients. Comforting, AND easy! It really feels so gratifying when dinner is simple to prepare, as well as healthy, and most importantly, so satisfyingly good. Hopefully, you will have leftovers because they are just as delicious, if not more so.
With just a few basic ingredients you’ll have a healthy skillet meal perfect for a weeknight dinner. Tender orzo pasta and fresh broccoli cooks while it bakes in a creamy feta sauce that magically creates itself in the oven.
The chicken is seared first and after that, the ingredients are sautéed in the same skillet, absorbing all the flavorful seared bits. The oven finishes the cooking process.
Rinse and pat chicken dry.
Season both sides with salt and pepper.
Sear chicken breast in a skillet.
While chicken is searing prep garlic, lemon zest and juice and broccoli.
Lots of garlic is a good thing. It keeps our immune systems strong! We definitely need this in spades right now.
Saute’ garlic quickly with chili flakes.
Throw broccoli in with garlic and chili flakes, sautéing for just for a minute.
Add all remaining ingredients to the skillet and mix.
Pour in hot chicken broth and place seared chicken on top.
Top chicken breasts with lemon slices. Cover pan with foil and bake.
When it is done baking, the orzo will soak up the lovely flavors.
Slice the chicken and serve it over the orzo, scattering with fresh dill.
More recipes you may like:
- Chicken Marsala
- Chicken Katsu (or Tofu Katsu!)
- Baked Chicken Breasts!
- Rosemary Chicken with Roasted Grapes and Shallots
Stay warm and cozy out there.
This comforting easy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole is loaded with broccoli and tender chicken. A fast and healthy skillet dinner that is flavorful and satisfying. Perfect for a weeknight dinner.
- 2–4 chicken breasts (8–10 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8–1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, depending on your spice preference
- 1/2 lb broccoli, chopped small
- 1 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest (about 1 lemons worth)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (more for topping if desired)
- 2 cups chicken broth, heated
- 6 thin lemon slices
- fresh dill for garnish
- Set oven to 375 F degrees.
- Sear chicken in a preheated cast-iron skillet with 1 teaspoon of oil on medium-high heat for 5 minutes on each side, and beautifully golden.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Let the pan cool for a minute or two. Stir in the minced garlic, remaining olive oil and chili flakes into the pan, saute’ 1-2 minutes on medium heat.
- Add broccoli, stirring just to coat with garlic mixture for about another minute. Remove from heat.
- Add the orzo pasta, lemon zest and juice, salt, pepper and feta to the pan with broccoli mixture, stir to combine.
- Pour hot chicken broth into the pan over the broccoli orzo mixture. Place seared chicken breast on top.
- Cover the pan with foil. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Test chicken with a thermometer, it should register 165 degrees. If needed put back in the oven for another few minutes.
Garnish with fresh dill, feta cheese, and lemon slices.
Leftovers keep well in the fridge for 4 days.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Keywords: broccoli chicken bake, broccoli Chicken casserole, broccoli chicken orzo bake, Baked orzo with chicken,