This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Dry sautéed in a skillet, these blistered green beans are cooked perfectly tender-crisp and dressed with a flavorful toasty walnut vinaigrette. A simple delicious side dish that will enhance most any meal.
Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows.native american proverb
Blistered Green Beans with Toasted Walnut Vinaigrette is a tasty and easy side dish. Rather than boiling or steaming, this simple “dry fry” method keeps more of the nutrients intact. Green Beans cooked this way concentrates all of the flavor and brings out the sweetness of the beans.
After cooking, the tender-crisp green beans are tossed with the walnut vinaigrette. The toasty walnuts give an earthy depth while the lemon brightens, creating a lovely balance. It takes just a few minutes to whisk it up.
Fresh herbs always enliven food. We garnished the green beans with a light sprinkle of fresh basil, mint and chives. You can substitute with what you have on hand or leave them off if you must, though it is highly recommended!
Table of Contents
Ingredients In Blistered Green Beans
- Fresh Green Beans: colors are fun if available!
- Walnuts: toasted and chopped small
- Fresh Herbs: fresh basil, mint and chives for garnish. Optional but will really elevate the flavors.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Toasted Walnuts add depth and delicious texture to the dressing.
How To Toast Walnuts
Toast walnuts in the oven (a toaster oven or air fryer works great here) 325 degrees F for 5-8 minutes. Watch carefully if they get too dark they can become bitter.
How To Make Blistered Green Beans
STEP ONE– Start by whisking up the dressing. It a bowl add toasted walnuts, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, dijon, maple syrup, garlic, salt and pepper. Drizzle in olive oil whisking all the while.
STEP TWO– Heat up a dry skillet to medium-high, when good and hot add green beans to the pan, using no oil. Leave undisturbed for 2 minutes. Stir around and leave for another few minutes, repeat until beans start to lightly blister but still crisp, about 6 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons water cover with the lid for 2-3 minutes.
STEP THREE- Transfer to a serving platter, liberally drizzle with the Toasted Walnut Vinaigrette and garnish with a few tablespoons of chopped chives, mint and basil.
This recipe is designed for fresh green beans. Fresh will give the ultimate texture and flavor.
Yes, this dish is delicious served at room temperature, an hour ahead works fine.
Leftovers will keep up to three days in the fridge, but the vinegar may dull the color of the beans over time, though the dish will still taste good.
More Recipes You May Enjoy
Green beans are still abundant here, though Autumn’s presence is undeniable. Such a bountiful time of year with so many veggies! Try these Green Beans and let us know what you think!
Love this recipe? Please let us know in the comments and leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below the recipe card.Print
Blistered Green beans with Toasted Walnut Vinaigrette, a simple, delicious side dish that will enhance almost any meal. Vegan and Gluten-free.
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped small (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound fresh green beans, stem end snapped off
- fresh basil, mint and chives for garnish (optional)
- Start by whisking up the dressing. It a bowl add toasted walnuts, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, dijon, maple syrup, garlic, salt and pepper. Drizzle in olive oil whisking all the while.
- Heat up a skillet to medium-high heat, when good and hot add green beans to the pan, dry-no oil. Leave undisturbed for 2 minutes. Stir around and leave for another few minutes, repeat until beans start to lightly blister but are still crisp, about 6 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons water cover with the lid for 2-3 minutes.
- Place on a serving dish and drizzle with vinaigrette (you will have some left over). Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh chopped basil, mint and chives.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 88
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 112.7 mg
- Fat: 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.5 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 1.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Sauteed Green Beans, Dry-fried green beans, Walnut Vinaigrette, vegan green bean recipe, easy green beans