This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Chicken Provençal is all about ease and elegance! Melty tender chicken seasoned with aromatic Herbs de Provence, cooked in white wine with fresh tomatoes, olives, garlic, and shallots. Easy enough for a weeknight and elegant enough for company.
Be yourself. Life is precious as it is. All the elements for your happiness are already here. There is not need to run, strive, search, or struggle. Just Be.― Thich Nhat Hanh
Oh this Chicken Provençal! How can something so simple taste so savory and delicious?
Chicken thighs and legs, bone-in and skin-on for the most flavor and succulent texture, are pan seared with a generous rubbing of Herbs de Provence.
In the pan with the seared chicken, we pile on whole garlic cloves and shallots, grape tomatoes, olives, and add a touch of white wine. The oven takes it from here braising with a lid on for about an hour.
The result is tender, fall-off-the-bone chicken in a heavenly broth that calls for crusty sourdough bread!
What is Chicken Provençal?
Ingredient Notes Chicken Provençal
- Bone-in chicken thighs and legs– this will yield the most flavorful tender chicken
- Herbs de Provence– this is the most delightful blend of aromatic herbs
- Garlic cloves- a lot of garlic! you won’t regret it
- Fresh tomatoes– grape, Roma or cherry
- Olives– your choice! we used kalamata and green olives
- White wine- we used sauvignon blanc
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How To Make Chicken Provençal In 3 Steps:
STEP ONE– Season both sides of the chicken lightly with salt and pepper. Generously sprinkle Herbs de Provence over the chicken pressing in on both sides.
STEP TWO– In a large oven-proof brasier (with a lid) sear the seasoned chicken on the stove top, over medium-high heat until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes each side. Remove the pan from heat.
STEP THREE– Tuck in the garlic cloves, tomatoes, olives, shallots around the chicken pieces. Pour in wine and sprinkle in salt and pepper. Place a lid on the pan and cook at 400 degrees in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
When it comes out, the chicken will be meltingly tender and fragrant.
What to Serve with Chicken Provençal
My family loves this dish, simple and satisfying! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Love this recipe? Please let us know in the comments and leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below the recipe card.
More recipes you may enjoy
- Crispy Braised Chicken Thighs with Artichokes
- How to Roast a Whole Chicken!
- One-Skillet Broccoli Chicken Orzo
- Mediterranean Chicken
Chicken Provençal is all about ease and elegance! Melty tender chicken seasoned with aromatic Herbs de Provence braised in white wine with olives, garlic and shallots. So simple and so delicious. Easy enough for a weeknight and elegant enough for company.
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken thighs and legs, bone-in, skin-on
- 2 tablespoons Herbs de Provence (store-bought or make your own)
- 10 large garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 1 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes (grape tomatoes, small Romas or cherry tomatoes are nice left whole)
- 1 cup pitted olives, whole ( kalamata or green olives)
- 5 shallots, whole or cut in halves
- 1/2 cup white wine (sauvignon blanc is nice)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees.
- Season both sides of the chicken lightly with salt and pepper. Generously sprinkle Herbs de Provence over the chicken pressing in on both sides.
- In a large oven proof brasier (with a lid) sear the seasoned chicken on the stove top, over medium high heat until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes each side. Remove the pan from heat.
- Tuck in the garlic cloves, tomatoes, olives, shallots around the chicken pieces. Pour in wine and sprinkle in salt and pepper. Place a lid on the pan and cook at 400 degrees in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Chicken should register 165 degrees F on a thermometer.
Bone-in, skin-on chicken is best here- more flavorful and moist.
- Serving Size: 1 piece of chicken
- Calories: 267
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 226.3 mg
- Fat: 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.7 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 43.5 g
- Cholesterol: 137.9 mg
Keywords: chicken provencal, chicken provencal recipe, chicken with herbs de provence