Chicken Provençal is all about ease and elegance! Melty tender chicken seasoned with aromatic Herbs de Provence braised in white wine with olives, garlic and shallots. So simple and so delicious. Easy enough for a weeknight and elegant enough for company.
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken thighs and legs, bone-in, skin-on
- 2 tablespoons Herbs de Provence (store-bought or make your own)
- 10 large garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 1 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes (grape tomatoes, small Romas or cherry tomatoes are nice left whole)
- 1 cup pitted olives, whole ( kalamata or green olives)
- 5 shallots, whole or cut in halves
- 1/2 cup white wine (sauvignon blanc is nice)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees.
- Season both sides of the chicken lightly with salt and pepper. Generously sprinkle Herbs de Provence over the chicken pressing in on both sides.
- In a large oven proof brasier (with a lid) sear the seasoned chicken on the stove top, over medium high heat until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes each side. Remove the pan from heat.
- Tuck in the garlic cloves, tomatoes, olives, shallots around the chicken pieces. Pour in wine and sprinkle in salt and pepper. Place a lid on the pan and cook at 400 degrees in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Chicken should register 165 degrees F on a thermometer.
Bone-in, skin-on chicken is best here- more flavorful and moist.
- Serving Size: 1 piece of chicken
- Calories: 267
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 226.3 mg
- Fat: 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.7 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 43.5 g
- Cholesterol: 137.9 mg
Keywords: chicken provencal, chicken provencal recipe, chicken with herbs de provence