This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
How to make a delicious, healthy Ahi Poke Bowl! Made with your choice of ahi tuna (or tofu!) Serve over brown rice with avocado, cucumber, radish, shredded cabbage, edamame, Furikake and flavorful Citrus Ponzu Dressing. Vegan and GF adaptable!
Wondering what all the hubbub is surrounding Poke, the latest food trend? Poke, if unfamiliar, is a marinated, raw fish salad, hailing from Hawaii, traditionally seasoned with soy sauce, sesame oil, seaweed and scallions. But what’s great about it is how creative you can get with it.
Place the ahi poke salad over a bed of brown rice – or go carb-free with zucchini noodles, seaweed salad or kelp noodles, shredded cabbage, or cauliflower rice. Very customizable. Add your favorite veggies and flavorful ponzu dressing! So simple.
How to make an Ahi Poke Bowl! | Video
ALSO….you don’t even have to use fish, just sub tofu, keeping it totally vegan!
This Tofu Poke Bowl is honestly just as good as the one with ahi tuna and it’s a very affordable alternative. Use extra-firm tofu, or purchase baked tofu.
Here below I’m making Ahi poke, cutting the ahi into small cubes. I used a frozen block of sushi grade tuna (AAA) because fresh tuna, in our area, is over-the-top expensive. But frozen ahi tuna is just fine.
Tofu is the least expensive option and is just as good in my opinion.
But if you have access to good fresh tuna, obviously it’s the BEST!
Assemble your bowls using what you already have. Here I’ve added cabbage, edamame, watermelon radish, avocado and cucumber. Then make the easy Ponzu Sauce to spoon over top.
This simple poke recipe is so easy! So delicious! So good for you!
Here below is the Vegan Poke Bowl made with Tofu!
HOW To make a POKE BOWL!
Pick a base for the bowl:
- brown rice or try jade rice
- kelp noodles or seaweed salad
- zucchini noodles
- kale, baby spinach or mixed greens
- shredded cabbage, jicama or carrots
Pick a Protein:
- ahi tuna
- wild salmon
- albacore tuna
- scallops or cooked shrimp
- scallions, red onions, pickled onions
- cilantro, dill, basil, shiso
- toasted sesame seeds
- nuts- almonds, macadamia, cashew, peanuts, pine nuts
- seaweed- like hijiki
- fresh chilies
- fresh ginger
Pick Bowl Toppings:
- grated carrots, beets
- fresh mango
- crispy shallots
- shredded cabbage
- pickled ginger
- shiso leaves
- furikake seasoning
- chili threads
So you can either just make the simple poke, or you can create a whole healthy poke bowl, loaded up with veggies.
I hope you enjoy this simple delicious poke recipe!
Poke Bowls – made with your choice of ahi tuna or TOFU! Served over brown rice, soba or kelp noodles, with avocado, cucumber, radish and Citrus Ponzu Sauce! Vegan and Grain-free Adaptable!
Optional BASE – 1-2 cups of your choice of:
- cooked brown rice
- soba noodles
- kelp noodles or seaweed salad
- cucumber or zucchini noodles
- baby spinach or mixed greens
- Shredded cabbage and carrots
Marinated Ahi Poke Recipe:
- 8 ounces ahi tuna ( or extra firm or baked tofu), cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 3 scallions, sliced thinly at a diagonal
- 1/4– 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced ( use a garlic press)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger, or use ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoon shoyu or soy sauce (or if GF Braggs Liquid amino, go lighter, it’s more salty)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave
- 1–2 tablespoon hijiki seaweed (optional)
- for spicy, add a teaspoon garlic chili paste, or chili flakes.
Optional BOWL TOPPINGS: avocado, sprouts, edamame, roe, grated carrots, grated beets, cucumber, fresh sliced, mango, radishes, crispy shallots, shredded cabbage, nori ( sliced thin), seaweed salad, pickled ginger, shiso leaves, furikake (Japanese sesame seaweed spice mix), kimchi, chili threads, Sriracha
QUICK PONZU SAUCE ( optional- make this if making the whole bowl)
- If cooking rice or noodles,start and cook according to directions on the stove.
- Cut fish (or tofu- blotting extra well first) into ½- ¾ inch cubes. Place in a bowl. Add scallions, garlic, ginger and sesame seeds.
- Mix sesame oil, soy sauce and honey in a small bowl, then very gently mix with ahi to coat evenly. (If using tofu, you may need to add more soy and sesame oil -in equal portions- because tofu tends to soak the liquid up like a sponge.)
- Make the quick ponzu sauce, combining ingredients in a small bowl.
- Assemble bowls – Divide rice (or other base) among two bowls. Pile poke salad high in the center, and surround with your additional toppings (avocado, cucumber, radish, sprouts, etc)
- Spoon the fresh ponzu sauce over the veggies and sprinkle with sesame seeds and chili threads (or flakes).
- Serve with chop sticks and Sriracha.
You can simply just make the poke itself ( with either ahi or tofu) or create the whole Bowl, loaded up with veggies, rice and the ponzu sauce .
- Serving Size: 2- bowls with 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup veggies, and ponzu sauce
- Calories: 415
- Sugar: 13.3 g
- Sodium: 789.4 mg
- Fat: 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 53.3 g
- Fiber: 4.8 g
- Protein: 30.6 g
- Cholesterol: 33.2 mg
Keywords: how to make a poke bowl, how to make ahi poke, poke recipe, best poke recipe, poke, poke recipe, ahi poke salad, vegan poke, tofu poke, poke bowl recipe, poke recipes, best poke