This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
A simple recipe for Ponzu Sauce, a refreshing citrus-based Japanese condiment used as a dipping sauce, marinade or dressing for vegetables, noodles, salads, or Poke Bowls! Low-calorie, delicious and vegan!
Here’s a quick and easy recipe for Ponzu Sauce that often comes in handy around here!
If unfamiliar, Ponzu is a refreshing soy and citrus-based sauce or dressing that we’ve been using on our Poke bowls, in this Avocado Salad , with these Sushi Burritos and most recently with this Grilled Bok Choy.
What I love about this Ponzu Sauce is how light and low-calorie it is- it’s low in oil, having only a touch of toasted sesame oil for flavor.
If you can track down yuzu for the citrus, it is heavenly. But most orange citrus fruits work well here- oranges, mandarins, and even tangerines are nice and refreshing addition!
Ingredients in Ponzu Sauce
- Soy sauce – or substitute GF Liquid Amino’s
- Fresh citrus– yuzu is traditional, here we substitute orange, mandarine or tangerine.
- Mirin– or substitute a mix of honey and water
- Rice wine vinegar
- Toasted Sesame oil
- Garnish with: sesame seeds and optional chili flakes
Ponzu Sauce Uses!
- Use it as a dressing for cold noodles or salads like this Avocado Salad
- Drizzle it over grilled veggies, like this Grilled Bok Choy!
- Use it as a dipping sauce for Sushi or Sushi Burritos
- Spoon it over Poke Bowls
- Use it as a marinade for grilled chicken or shrimp- similar to this
Enjoy the simple Ponzu Recipe and let us know how you like it in the comments below!
A simple recipe for Ponzu Sauce, a refreshing citrus-based Japanese condiment used as a dipping sauce or a light, refreshing dressing for vegetables, cold noodles, salads, or Poke Bowls, Simple, delicious and vegan!
Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl.
Taste and adjust sweetness (more mirin) or citrus juice to your taste. Some citrus, like oranges, will be sweeter than yuzu- so adjust accordingly.
Store in a sealed jar for up to 4 days in the fridge (if using fresh juice), or 2 weeks if bottled juice.
- Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
- Calories: 29
- Sugar: 2.2 g
- Sodium: 130.9 mg
- Fat: 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.7 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Ponzu, Ponzu Recipe, Ponzu Sauce,