Ingredients in Hand Rolls
- Calrose rice
- rice wine vinegar
- toasted sesame seeds
- sliced mushrooms ( cremini, shiitakes, button)
- toasted sesame oil
- soy sauce ( or use salt to taste)
- red bell pepper
- English cucumbers,
- fresh daikon sprouts (or enoki mushrooms)
- smoked salmon (or sub baked or smoked tofu)
- nori sheets
- serve with wasabi paste & soy sauce
How to make Japanese Handrolls
Step One: Cook the sushi rice
Then season it! Traditional Sushi rice is mixed with Seasoned rice wine vinegar. Instead of stirring in the rice vinegar, she uses a rice paddle to “slice the rice” preventing it from becoming gummy. At the same time, she fans the rice to cool it down. It’s always served in a wood bowl. Sprinkle the rice with a few toasted sesame seeds and cover the bowl with a damp kitchen towel until ready to serve. (Do not refrigerate.)
Step two: prep the veggies.
If using mushrooms, saute them with a little oil and season with a little sesame oil.
How to roll a Sushi Hand Roll
Step one: Cut the nori in half!
Step two: spread with rice.
Step Three: fill!
Step four: roll!
More recipes you may enjoy:
- How to make a Sushi Burrito
- 20-Minute Miso Soup with Leeks, Mushrooms and Greens
- Spicy Miso Ramen
- Vegan Ramen with Miso Shiitake Broth
- Kyoto Style Sweet Potatoes with Miso, Ginger and Scallions
Sushi Hand Rolls with Smoked Salmon, avocado, mushrooms and cucumber. A Japanese Inspired crowd-friendly meal that is healthy, simple to make and affordable!
- 1 cup Calrose rice (dry)
- 1–2 Tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms ( cremini, shiitakes, button)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce ( or use salt to taste)
- 1 red bell pepper- sliced into strips
- 1 English or 6 turkish cucumbers, cut into 4 inch strips
- 1–2 Avocados, cut into strips
- 2 Cups fresh sprouts
- 16 ounces smoked salmon ( or lox) -Or sub baked tofu, cut into strips
- 1– 2 packages nori sheets, cut in half, to make long rectangles.
- wasabi paste
- soy sauce
- Make the Sushi Rice: Rinse rice well, until water almost runs clear. Strain. Place in a medium pot with 3 1/4 Cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer on low for 20 minutes. keep lid on until close to serving time.
- While warm, place rice in a wood bowl ( this is traditional) and sprinkle with the seasoned rice vinegar. Using a wood rice paddle or spatula, “slice the rice”, rather than mix. Fan the rice to cool while slicing the rice to mix and fluff. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and cover with a damp kitchen towel.
- Prep the Veggies: Saute mushrooms in olive oil over medium heat, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add sesame oil and cook 2 more minutes. Season with soy sauce or salt to taste. Place in a small serving bowl.
- Prep bell pepper, cucumber and avocado, cutting all into long, thin 4 inch strips. Place each in individual bowls.
- Place the sprouts in a bowl and smoked salmon on a small platter or plate (separating it)
- Cut Nori sheets in half, so you have two rectangles out of each sheet.
- To make a Sushi hand roll: Place nori sheet horizontally in front of you with the rough side facing up. Spread sushi rice (either using fingers or back of a spoon) on the left half of the sheet, leaving a 1/2 inch border, and 2-3 inches of no rice on the right side of the sheet. On the left side ( the side with rice) , align the strips of veggies, diagonally, with the ends pointing towards the upper left corner. Top this line of veggies, with smoked salmon, mushrooms and sprouts. When folding, start with the left bottom corner first, and fold up over the ingredients, then wrap the right side over and around to form a cone, about the size of an ice cream sugar cone. It will seal itself.
- Season with a little spoonful of soy sauce mixed with wasabi paste.
Assemble the cones right before eating. Do not make cones in advance. Keep rice a room temp. Do not refrigerate the rice- it will become crunchy and not taste as good.;)
makes 12-16 rolls
- Serving Size: 2 rolls - makes 14- 16 rolls
- Calories: 253
- Sugar: 2.7 g
- Sodium: 1162.1 mg
- Fat: 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.9 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 14.3 g
- Cholesterol: 13.1 mg
Keywords: temaki sushi, temaki recipe, sushi hand rolls, japanese hand rolls, how to make sushi hand rolls, sushi hand rolls, salmon hand rolls,