Smoked Salmon Hand rolls with Avocado and cucumber. A Japanese Inspired crowd friendly meal that is healthy, simple to make and affordable!
- 3 Cups Calrose rice
- 1–2 Tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms ( cremini, shiitakes, button)
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce ( or use salt to taste)
- 1 red bell pepper- sliced into strips
- 1 English or 6 turkish cucumbers, cut into 4 inch strips
- 1–2 Avocados, cut into strips
- 2 Cups fresh sprouts
- 16 ounces smoked salmon ( lox)
- 1– 2 packages nori sheets, cut in half, to make long rectangles.
- wasabi paste
- soy sauce
- Rinse rice well, until water almost runs clear. Strain. Place in a medium pot with 3 1/4 Cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer on low for 20 minutes. keep lid on until close to serving time.
- While warm, place rice in a wood bowl ( this is traditional) and sprinkle with the seasoned rice vinegar. Using a wood rice paddle or spatula, “slice the rice”, rather than mix. Fan the rice to cool while slicing the rice to mix and fluff. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and cover with a damp kitchen towel.
- Saute mushrooms in olive oil over medium heat, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add sesame oil and cook 2 more minutes. Season with soy sauce or salt to taste. Place in a small serving bowl.
- Prep bell pepper, cucumber and avocado, cutting all into thin 4 inch strips. Place each in individual bowls.
- Place the sprouts in a bowl and smoked salmon on a small platter or plate.
- Cut Nori sheets in half, so you have two rectangles out of each sheet.
- To make a Temaki hand roll:
- Place nori sheet horizontally in front of you with the rough side facing up.
- Spread sushi rice (either using fingers or back of a spoon) on the left half of the sheet, leaving a 1/2 inch border, and 2-3 inches of no rice on the right side of the sheet. On the left side ( the side with rice) , align the strips of veggies, diagonally, with the ends pointing towards the upper left corner. Top this line of veggies, with smoked salmon, mushrooms and sprouts. When folding, start with the left bottom corner first, and fold up over the ingredients, then wrap the right side over and around to form a cone, about the size of an ice cream sugar cone. It will seal itself.
- Season with a little spoonful of soy sauce mixed with wasabi paste.
Assemble the cones right before eating. Do not make cones in advance. Do not refridgerate- the rice will become crunchy and not taste as good.
- Calories: 175
Keywords: hand rolls, japanese hand rolls, how to make a hand rolls, sushi hand rolls, salmon hand rolls,