A simple healthy recipe for Asian Slaw – easy and crunchy, this vegan slaw can be made ahead and is delicious alongside fish, tofu, or chicken or stuffed into tacos, topped onto burgers, or added to buddha bowls. A great way to add more veggies into your everyday meals.
To be fully alive, fully human and completely awake is to be continually thrown out of the nest. To live fully is to be always in no-man’s land, to experience each moment as completely new and fresh. To live is to be willing to die over and over again. ~Pema
In the next few weeks, beautiful farmers market cabbages will start rolling out if they haven’t already in your area. And when they do, I want you to be prepared! Excited even!
You’ll find a million uses for this easy, crunchy Asian Slaw recipe. A wonderful excuse to purchase one of those stunning cabbages at the farmers market. It’s also a fantastic way to use up all the stray veggies in the fridge- that remaining half cabbage, the stray carrot or parsnip, or the leftover bell pepper. If you are a part of a CSA or shop at the farmers market, many of the veggies you’ll find there can be added to this slaw – like kohlrabi, turnips, beets, or brussels sprouts. Such an easy useful way to add more healthy veggies into our everyday diet.
WATCH THE ASIAN SLAW VIDEO HERE!
And if short on time, many mainstream grocery stores offer a plethora of different gourmet slaw mixes, that are perfect for this too- brussel sprouts slaw, broccoli slaw, carrot slaw… you get the idea. It’s a basic recipe designed to be used as a base for your own creations.
What I love about this easy Asian Slaw is, if I’m in a hurry, I know I can grab a bag of slaw mix from the grocery store, and whip this up in 10 minutes. I’ll throw in some stray veggies if I have them and serve it as a quick healthy side, most often with fish or seared tofu. Oh, and I love the Asian slaw with these easy Salmon Cakes! The leftover slaw stays crunchy and seems to get better with time.
The Asian Slaw Dressing is the best! Not only is it made with accessible ingredients you most likely have in your pantry, it seems to have the right balance of sweet, tart and depth with just a little heat. And of course you can personalize it even further to your own tastes.
For more Make-Ahead Vegan Salads…. take a peek at these!
Hope you are having a great week, finding the beauty in what surrounds you. Even if it is simply in the face of a cabbage, a beautiful, giant edible flower full of healing nutrients.
Easy Crunchy Asian Slaw ( with the BEST Asian Dressing!)
Easy Crunchy Asian Slaw- a simple vegan slaw with the BEST SLAW DRESSING EVER that can be made ahead! Serve this alongside fish, tofu, or chicken or stuffed into tacos, topped onto burgers, or added to buddha bowls. A great way to add more veggies into your everyday meals. #slaw #asianslaw #veganslaw #easyslaw #tacoslaw
- Prep Time: 20
- Total Time: 20
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Salad, vegan, slaw, dressing
- Method: tossed
- Cuisine: Asian
- 1 lb shredded veggies (your choice of cabbage, carrots, bell pepper, snow peas, broccoli slaw, brussel sprouts, etc) roughly 6-7 cups.
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 cup cilantro ( or Italian parsley or mint) chopped
Asian Slaw Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown rice syrup, agave or honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or GF alternative like Braggs or Coconut Aminos)
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced ( use a garlic press)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes or chili paste ( optional)
- Toasted sesame seeds
- roasted, crushed peanuts or cashews
- Toss slaw ingredients together in a large bowl. Add cilantro and scallions.
- Whisk Asian Slaw Dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Pour dressing into slaw and toss well.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and/ or nuts.
- Salad will keep up to 3-4 days in the fridge.
Keywords: asian slaw, asian slaw recipe, best asian slaw, easy asian slaw, crunchy asian slaw, vegan slaw, cabbage slaw, easy slaw recipe, asian slaw dressing, asian slaw dressing recipe