A simple healthy recipe for Asian Slaw – easy and crunchy, this vegan slaw can be made ahead and is delicious alongside salmon, tofu, or chicken or stuffed into tacos, topped onto burgers, or added to buddha bowls. A great way to add more veggies into your everyday meals. With a video!
To be fully alive, fully human and completely awake is to be continually thrown out of the nest. To live fully is to be always in no man’s land, to experience each moment as completely new and fresh. To live is to be willing to die over and over again. ~Pema Chodron
In the next few weeks, beautiful farmers’ market cabbages will start rolling out if they haven’t already in your area. And when they do, I want you to be prepared! Excited even!
This Asian Cabbage Slaw is a wonderful excuse to purchase one of those stunning cabbages at the farmers’ market. It’s also a fantastic way to use up all the stray veggies in the fridge- that remaining half cabbage, the stray carrot or parsnip, or the leftover bell pepper. If you are a part of a CSA or shop at the farmers market, many of the veggies you’ll find there can be added to this slaw – like kohlrabi, turnips, beets, or brussels sprouts. Such an easy useful way to add more healthy veggies into our everyday diet.
How to Make Asian Slaw! | video
Time-saving Slaw Tips:
- If short on time, many grocery stores offer gourmet “slaw mixes”, already pre-shredded! These are perfect for this recipe: brussel sprouts slaw, broccoli slaw, carrot slaw… you get the idea. It’s a basic recipe designed to be used as a base for your own creations.
- Use ginger paste (in a tube)
- Use garlic paste
What I love about this easy Asian Slaw is, if I’m in a hurry, I know I can grab a bag of slaw mix from the grocery store, and whip this up in 10 minutes- a healthy, light side salad that goes with so many things. The leftover slaw stays crunchy and seems to even get better with time.
What to serve with Asian Slaw:
- Salmon Cakes
- Chicken Katsu (or Tofu Katsu!)
- Simple Baked Miso Salmon
- Seasoned Japanese Rice with Furikake
- Teriyaki Salmon with Baby Bok Choy
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
Asian Slaw Dressing:
The Asian Slaw Dressing is the best! Not only is it made with accessible ingredients you most likely have in your pantry, it seems to have the right balance of sweet, tart and depth with just a little heat. And of course, you can personalize it even further to your own tastes.
What you’ll need:
- olive oil
- toasted sesame oil
- rice wine vinegar
- maple syrup, honey, brown rice syrup, or agave
- soy sauce (or GF alternative like Braggs or Coconut Amino Acids)
- fresh garlic
- fresh ginger
- chili paste (optional)
This is also a great way to use up stray veggies in the fridge, incorporating more nutrients into the slaw- salad turnips, kohlrabi, jicama, radishes… pretty much anything crunchy!
Other veggies to add to Asian Slaw:
- snow peas
- bell pepper
- shredded broccoli stems
- salad turnips
Other Recipes you may enjoy:
- Warm Red Cabbage Slaw
- Kohlrabi Slaw with Cilantro, Jalapeño and Lime
- Asian Cucumber Salad
- Thai Crunch Salad with Peanut Ginger Dressing
- Lebanese Slaw (Salatet Malfouf)
- Everyday Kale Slaw (Vegan)
- Mexican Slaw with Cilantro and Lime
- Thai Noodle Salad with the BEST EVER Peanut Sauce
Hope you are having a great week, finding the beauty in what surrounds you. Even if it is simply in the face of cabbage, a beautiful, giant edible flower full of healing nutrients.
Easy Crunchy Asian Slaw- a simple vegan slaw with the BEST SLAW DRESSING EVER that can be made ahead! Serve this alongside fish, tofu, or chicken or stuffed into tacos, topped onto burgers, or added to buddha bowls. A great way to add more veggies into your everyday meals.
- 1 lb shredded veggies (your choice of cabbage, carrots, bell pepper, snow peas, broccoli slaw, Brussel sprouts, etc) roughly 6-7 cups.
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 cup cilantro (or Italian parsley or mint) chopped
Asian Slaw Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey, brown rice syrup, maple, or agave
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or GF alternative like Braggs or Coconut Amino Acids)
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced ( use a garlic press)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes or chili paste ( optional)
- Toss slaw ingredients together in a large bowl. Add cilantro and scallions.
- Whisk Asian Slaw Dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Pour dressing into slaw and toss well.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and/ or nuts.
- Salad will keep up to 3-4 days in the fridge.
Keywords: asian slaw, asian slaw recipe, best asian slaw, easy asian slaw, crunchy asian slaw, vegan slaw, cabbage slaw, easy slaw recipe, asian slaw dressing, asian slaw dressing recipe