These 25 Healthy Lentil Recipes will not only leave you feeling satisfied but will WOW your taste buds, as well! Many of you have been asking for more recipes featuring plant-based protein, and Lentils happen to be one of my personal favorites. To me, they are comfort food.
Put away any old ideas of lentils being somber and bland- they truly are how you treat them. Here are some of our most popular, highly-rated, globally-inspired Lentil Recipes to put on your meal plan this week. Most of these are meatless with along with many vegan options as well! Let me know your favorites in the comments below! New to cooking Lentils? Jump to the recipe for the basic recipe!
Rich and robust, this plant-based Lentil Bolognese is hearty, “meaty” and full of depth of flavor. Toss it with your favorite pasta, or spoon it over creamy polenta- either way, this simple nourishing vegan meal is one the whole family will enjoy.
Instant Pot Mulligatawny Soup is so creamy and richly satisfying with bright and spicy flavors. This vegan adaptable version is delicious as is or can easily be built upon by adding chicken, or more veggies and basmati rice. An easy and fast weeknight meal!
Lentil Dal is one of the most delicious, plant-based Indian meals! This version, I like to call Emerald Dal, is packed with Spinach making it especially high in nutrients and flavor! Rich, fragrant, and packed with protein, think of this Lentil Dal – like Saag Paneer, but substituting lentils instead of the Cheese! A super tasty, healthy lentil recipe that is vegan-adaptable!
This recipe for Simple Braised French Lentils is nourishing and comforting and a delicious healthy side dish that pairs well with so many things! Leftovers can be frozen, or turned into a salad!
This Lentil Tabouli Salad is infused with Middle Eastern flavors and can be made ahead. Filling lentils are paired with summer tomatoes, lemon, mint and parsley and a unique combination of spices, and keeps for several days, perfect for midweek lunches or potlucks! Vegan and Gluten-Free
A delicious Lentil Salad infused with Moroccan Spices, this healthy vegan lentil salad can be made ahead and keeps for 4 days, perfect for healthy midweek lunches!
Vegan Indian Lentil Meatballs with Curry Sauce– a delicious healthy meal infused with fragrant Indian spices. Vegan and Gluten-Free!
Springy Lentil Salad with Spring Veggies, Mint and Yogurt Sauce -a delicious, healthy, Greek-inspired lentil salad recipe! Vegan adaptable and Gluten-Free!
Instant Pot Mujadara – a comforting, healthy vegetarian meal of lentils and rice, with fragrant Moroccan spices, served with caramelized shallots, fresh veggies, pine nuts and optional yogurt. Gluten-free and Vegan adaptable.
Lentils with Blistered Tomatoes and Kale– a simple vegetarian lentil recipe seasoned with Middle Eastern spices & topped with feta. Healthy, tasty!
This Middle Eastern Style Lentil Soup can be made in an Instant Pot or on the stovetop. It’s vegan, gluten-free and infused with Middle Eastern Spices!
Vegan Lentil Bowls with Tahini Dressing loaded up with seasonal veggies, greens, sprouts, almonds, avocado, fresh mint, and the best tahini sauce! Vegan and GF
Sprouted Lentil Burgers– these healthy guys are GRILLABLE, vegan and gluten-free adaptable. Here they are topped with pickled beets. A healthy delicious recipe, great for meal prep!
LENTIL POMEGRANATE SALAD (aka Palouse Caviar)
Lentil Pomegranate Salad (aka Palouse Caviar) A take on Texas Caviar, this Vegan Lentil Dip (or Salad) aka Palouse Caviar is made black caviar lentils, pomegranate, avocado, lime. Served it with corn chips for a festive healthy, vegan GF appetizer or over greens for a hearty vegan salad!
Warm Lentils with wilted chard, roasted beets, goat cheese, and spring herbs. A simple tasty vegetarian meal!
Lentil Salad with apples, walnuts, celery root and a delicious, toasted Cumin Seed Dressing. This healthy vegan salad can be made ahead for midweek lunches or potlucks and gatherings.
Spicy Tahini Lentil Wrap with avocado, carrots, cabbage, and the tastiest Sriracha Tahini Sauce. Vegan and Delicious!
Simple delicious, Braised Lentils with Beets – a healthy vegan stew or soup, topped with optional goat cheese, that can be served on its own, or as a side dish to fish, chicken or meat. Vegan adaptable and Gluten-free!
Healing Lentil Beet Soup -a simple healing vegan soup, packed full of antioxidants that aid the liver in healing our bodies. Vegan and GF.
Soulful, Comforting Red Lentil Dal with Sweet Potatoes and a flavorful “tempering oil”. A quick 30-minute meal that is simple to make and full of fragrant Indian spices.
10 Health Benefits of Lentils:
- High in protein – 18 grams protein per cup (cooked)
- Rich in Polyphenols-READ THIS!
- High in Fiber – 16 grams fiber per cup (cooked)
- High in Iron
- High in Magnesium
- High in Folate
- Stabilizes blood sugar, helps prevent Diabetes
- Low in fat
- Lowers cholesterol, heart-healthy.
How to cook Lentils
- Learn the easiest way to cook lentils- simply simmer in salted water, adding aromatics if you like. See Recipe below.
- One cup dry lentils = 2 ½ cups cooked lentils.
- Lentil cooking time varies, depending on size.
- Cooked Lentils will keep 4 days in the fridge, or can be frozen for later use.
- 1 cup lentils
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lentils (see notes), rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional aromatics: few whole garlic cloves, quartered shallot or half onion, couple sprigs of herbs ( rosemary, thyme, sage) bay leaves.
- Place lentils, water and salt in a medium pot over high heat.
- Add any optional aromatics, and bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat and simmer gently until cooked through. The goal here is to get them tender, yet still hold their shape.
- Drain and use in other recipes.
- Cooked lentils will keep up to 4 days in the fridge, or can be frozen!
- Split lentils cook the fastest- check at 15 minutes! Small lentils take roughly 20 minutes, large brown lentils roughly 30-35 minutes. The smaller the lentils, the faster they cook, so just keep checking!
Split lentils cook the fastest- check at 15 minutes! Small lentils take roughly 20 minutes, large brown lentils roughly 30-35 minutes. The smaller the lentils, the faster they cook, so just keep checking!
- Red Split lentils 15 minutes cooking time
- Green lentils 20-30 minutes cooking time, depending on size.
- Black Caviar lentils- 20 mintues cooking time
- Large Brown lentils-30-35 minutes cooking time
- Split lentils 15 minutes cooking time
Quick Tip! To accelerate cooking soak them in water first, 1-8 hours. Or try an instant pot!
- Serving Size: 1 cup lentils
- Calories: 220
- Fiber: 16
- Protein: 18
Keywords: how to cook lentils, easy lentil recipe, vegan lentil recipe, best lentil recipes, lentil recipes, vegan lentil recipes, vegetarian lentil recipes, best lentil recipes, healthy lentil recipes, red lentil recipes,