This simple vegetarian lentil recipe is paired with blistered cherry tomatoes and wilted kale. Seasoned with Middle Eastern spices, it’s full of great flavor, while being healthy and filling!
Growing up with a frugal Egyptian father, lentils were one of the mainstays of our diet. He would season them deliciously, but it seemed like we had them every day…. and of course, as a kid, I grew tired of them and wanted to eat “normal” food like pizza and spaghetti like all my friends.
As you get older you begin to realize that all those things that made your family seem different or weird, are the same things that made them interesting and unique. As a grown-up, I look back at those lentils with such fondness, I actually yearn for them. Somehow they bring such comfort. As a child, I never thought I would ever miss them… but life is funny that way.
In this simple recipe for vegetarian Lentils with Blistered Tomatoes and Kale, Middle Eastern spices give the lentils a burst of delicious flavor. To make this recipe even faster, purchase pre-cooked lentils, now available at many grocery stores (like Trader Joe’s, Wholefoods, etc), or pre-cook a big batch of lentils on Sunday for the workweek, to use in this recipe and in Buddha Bowls! You can also freeze cooked lentils in smaller portions for later.
More lentil recipes you may like:
- Our 25 BEST Lentil Recipes!
- Simple Braised French Lentils
- Warm Lentils with Roasted Beets, Wilted Chard & Goat Cheese
- Lentil Tabouli Salad
- Moroccan Lentil Quinoa Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 2 cups cooked lentils (Beluga lentils, black caviar or french green. Do not use split lentils.)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- splash water
- 2–3 large handfuls baby kale, or chopped chard, or other greens
- In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and salt and cook for about 5 minutes, until tender, and blistered, but not losing their shape. Carefully spoon tomatoes out of the pan and set them aside.
- In the same pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat and add the shallot and garlic, stirring often, until tender and golden, about 3 minutes. Add the cooked lentils, balsamic, salt and spices and stir, warming them up. If dry, add a splash of water to loosen them just a bit. Once warm, add the kale a handful at a time, stirring, tossing and wilting. Taste and adjust salt.
- Divide the lentil and kale among two bowls. Surround with the blistered tomatoes, and top with optional crumbled feta or goat cheese, tahini sauce, or a drizzle of good quality olive oil.
Keywords: lentils with tomatoes, sautéed lentils, easy lentil recipe, blistered tomatoes