Sautéed kale and chard with garlic, shallots and lemon, topped with optional Dukkah. A simple healthy side dish that pairs well with most mains, is vegan, low-carb, keto, full of nutrients and delicious!
Here’s another super handy recipe from Tonia to put into your back pocket for when you are craving a healthy dose of nutritious greens to go alongside your favorite protein. Use any greens you like- kale, chard, collards, or throw in some beet tops, spinach or mustard greens- you decide!
You’ll need 2 bunches of greens- a pound total, which may seem like a lot- but keep in mind this will cook down into about 4-5 cups of cooked greens, or 4-5 servings.
This nice thing is the leftover greens can be repurposed for breakfast- warm them up and top with a poached egg, or throw them in your scrambled eggs or add to your buddha bowls or fried rice. You get the idea. 🙂
The point is, they won’t go to waste. Here I’ve topped the Sauteed Greens with a few tablespoons of Dukkah– so delicious!
So the recipe starts with 2 bunches of washed greens- here we’ve used one bunch kale and one bunch chard (about 1 pound total).
Cut out any of the bigger stems (anything bigger than a 1/4 th inch).
Finely chop the stems.
Saute them in a little oil and continue chopping the greens.
Stack the leaves and slice into fine ribbons.
You will end up will a fairly large bowl of greens, but keep in mind these will cook way down.
Saute the shallot, garlic and chili flakes.
Then begin sauteing the greens- you’ll need an extra-large 12-inch skillet here. Add the salt and lemon zest.
Cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Add the stems back in and squeeze with lemon.
Serve it up with your favorite protein. Dust it with Dukkah for extra crunch and flavor. Tonight we served the Simple Sauteed Greens with Roasted Sweet Potatoes lathered in Harissa. So tasty!
Serve Simple Sauteed Greens with:
- Simple Moroccan Salmon
- Zaatar Baked Eggplant
- Baked Cod with Tomoates
- Baked Chicken Breast
- Baked Tofu ( 3 flavorful ways)
- Whole roasted Cauliflower with Tahini
- Roasted Parsnips with Romesco
- Baked Haddock with Tomato and Fennel
- Mustard Roasted Chicken with Drippin’s Cauliflower
Hope you enjoy!!!
RELATED: 20 Vegetarian Side Dishes!
Sauteed Greens -a quick simple side dish using your favorite greens (kale, chard, collards) and full of nutrients and flavor! A healthy, low carb, vegan side dish that can be made in 25 mins. Serve with your favorite protein- fish, chicken, tofu, or even over toast, topped with a poached egg.
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 bunch chard (or you can use any combination of most greens such as collards, mustard greens, broccoli rabe to equal one pound)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium garlic, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes ( or aleppo)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Trim the stalks and ribs from the greens, if they are more then ¼ inch thick. Chop the stalks and ribs into ¼ inch slices.
- Put the chopped stalks in a large sauté pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté about 5 minutes on medium heat stirring every now and then while you prep the remaining ingredients. When tender remove from pan and set aside.
- Cut the destemmed greens into ¼ to ½ inch ribbons.
- Add remaining olive oil to the pan over medium high, add chopped shallots. Sauté 3 minutes, add garlic and red pepper flakes stirring for a minute or so. Then add the greens and turn the heat to medium low. Give it a stir every few minutes for about 8-10 minutes.
- When the greens are wilted and tender add the sautéed stems stirring a minute to rewarm, turn heat off and add lemon zest, salt and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust flavor if desired.
Leftovers can be reheated and served the next day- and delicious under a poached egg for breakfast!
Keywords: sautéed greens, sautéed kale, how to cook kale, how to saute greens, wilted greens, wilted kale, braised kale, vegan side dish