This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Catalan-Style, Sauteed Spinach with Garlic, Golden Raisins and Pine nuts – a simple healthy side dish that can be made in 25 minutes.
We love our greens! This recipe for Sauteed Spinach with golden raisins, garlic and pine nuts hails from Catalonia and is a delicious veggie side to what you are already making.
Also, know that any wilt-able green can be used –but traditionally, the “green of choice” in Catalonia, is spinach. I’ve been making this with swiss chard, baby kale, bok choy, and stray beet tops – it’s a great way to clear out the fridge.
Catalonia, a region in Northeastern Spain, is known for its distinctive cuisine. The Moors introduced the cultivation of almonds, citrus fruits, eggplant and spinach and the use of spices like cumin, nutmeg, saffron, and black pepper.
Today, Catalan dishes are known for combining savory and sweet ingredients and their unique pairing of spices.
Sauteed Spinach Ingredient Notes
Greens– spinach, chard kale, beet tops or a mixture of what you have on hand.
Garlic, onion, golden raisins and pine nuts give this dish its authentic flavor, but if you have pine nut allergies or are out of golden raisins, feel free to substitute slivered almonds or use regular raisins, currants, cranberries or even dried apricots.
*See full recipe card below.
Sultanas, if unfamiliar, is the name of the variety of white grape used to make golden raisins…they are often called “sultanas” in recipes and on menus.
What to serve with Sauteed Spinach
- Citrus Baked Salmon with Fingerlings
- Chicken Piccata
- Roasted Salmon with Pomegranate
- Braised Chicken with Fresh Figs
- Pan-Roasted Chicken with Grapes
- Hemp Crusted Tofu with Celeriac Puree
More Recipes you may like
- Simple Sautéed Greens Recipe
- Italian Baked Beans and Greens
- Coconut Creamed Spinach
- Indian Spinach Salad with Lentils & Cauliflower
- Homemade Palak Paneer (Cheese Cubes in Creamy Spinach Sauce)
It’s March! Spring is within sight, though snow still covers the ground. I’m feeling a little excited to see what comes…
Enjoy the Sauteed Spinach and please rate it for us!
A flavorful Catalan Style recipe for sauteed spinach with golden raisins and pine nuts. Use spinach, chard, beet tops or baby kale, or a mix. Vegan.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 an apple, diced ( optional, but good!)
- 4–6 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/4 cup golden raisins- or regular raisins, currants, craisins
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, or slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup sherry wine or white wine ( or sub broth)
- 5–6 cups packed spinach, chopped, or sub chard, beet tops, kale, etc.
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of sugar, nutmeg and white pepper
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and apple and stir until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium, add garlic and chili flakes, and saute a few more minutes, until fragrant.
- Add raisins and wine, sauteeing until the wine mostly cooks off.
- Add greens, stirring to wilt. Spinach will cook in a couple minutes, while sturdier greens will take longer.
- Season with salt and pepper. Continue Sauteeing until desired tenderness.
- Taste, adjust salt and chili flakes, and if you like, add a pinch of sugar ( for more sweetness) , nutmeg and white pepper.
Sauteed Spinach is best served warm. Refrigerate leftovers up to 4 days, and reheat.
- Serving Size: ¾ cup
- Calories: 182
- Sugar: 9.5 g
- Sodium: 619 mg
- Fat: 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.6 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 2.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: sautéed spinach, saute greens, wilted spinach recipe,