Baked Haddock with roasted tomatoes, fennel and shallots- a simple, easy, healthy one-pot meal that can be made in 35 minutes! Gluten-free, Paleo, keto!
Here’s an easy delicious recipe for Baked Haddock with Roasted Tomatoes and Fennel. It’s a healthy “one-pot” meal that can be made with any white fish really ( cod, halibut, seabass, sablefish) and the roasted fennel with summer tomatoes, garlic, lemon and thyme is one of my favorite combinations.
Haddock, if unfamiliar is a popular whitefish on the East Coast, known for its flaky clean texture, and low oil content, very similar to Atlantic cod. A family owned seafood company, Mazzetta Company sent me some of their Haddock to try, and it was fun experimenting with it, never having it before. Typically on the East Coast, it’s served “New England Style” with a breading of sorts, but I thought I put more of a Northwest spin on it this time.
The tomatoes and fennel become meltingly delicious in the oven, then the fish is nestled in them, and baked.
In this recipe, I cut the haddock into smaller pieces, and marinated it in a mixture of olive oil, garlic, lemon and thyme.
While the fish is marinated, begin layering the onion, thinly sliced fennel and tomatoes.
Put it out of the oven and nestle the fish in the roasted tomatoes fennel mix, and place back into the oven for 7-9 minutes, or until the fish is cooked to your liking.
When it comes out of the oven, squeeze with lemon and serve.
Baked Haddock with tomato and fennel
Baked Haddock with roasted tomatoes, fennel and shallots- a simple, easy, healthy one pot meal that can be made in 35 minutes! Gluten-free, Paleo, keto.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main, fish, seafood,
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 lb Haddock (or other white fish like cod, halibut, sable or bass)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic-minced
- lemon zest from one lemon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- ½ of a sweet onion- thinly sliced
- pinch salt and pepper
- juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb- very thinly sliced
- 1 ½ lbs cherry, grape or baby heirloom tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Cut fish into 6-8 pieces. In a medium bowl, mix oil, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme and lemon zest. Toss with fish, set aside.
- In a lightly oiled baking dish, place onion slices on the bottom. Scatter sliced fennel over top. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil, lemon juice from ½ a lemon, and sprinkle with a generous 3 finger pinch of salt and pepper.Top with tomatoes.
- Place in the oven for 30-35 minutes, giving a good shake, halfway through. Place the white fish overtop, nestling among the tomatoes. Drizzle any left over marinade over the fish and tomatoes. Place back in the oven and cook 7-8 minutes or until fish cooks to desired done-ness.
- Remove from oven. Squeeze with remaining ½ lemon, scatter with thyme and serve.
- Calories: 365
Keywords: baked haddock, baked haddock recipes, haddock recipes, healthy haddock recipes