This is the recipe for Horseradish Mashed Potatoes I told you about last week in my post for Cranberry Pot Roast. A lighted up version of mashed potatoes, this easy recipe has a zippy garlic horseradish bite, that pairs well with rich meaty dishes, cutting through the fat. Add as little or as much horseradish as you want, depending on your taste for it.
This month has been a wild one for sure, full of all sorts of life events. Beginnings and endings. Joy and sorrow, the full gamut. Each day I am reminded how short life is, how precious our time here is, and mostly, what an honor it is to get to be here, for this short time. A little spec, on another spec, among the million of specs out there in the universe.
Cover potatoes with water and simmer until tender. I often leave the potatoes skins on because they are full of nutrients, especially the colored potatoes. This is up to you.
I find these are just rich enough.
I’ve made these vegan, which were good, and I’ve even made them completely fat free, which were terrible -not satisfying at all. Adding just a little bit of fat whether it’s plant based, or animal based made them the most enjoyable. And when being paired with something rich, like pot roast, you can get away with keeping them somewhat light.
Creamy whipped up mashed potatoes with horseradish come together easily and quickly. Give them a try!
Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
Garlic and Horseradish Mashed Potatoes – a lightened up, healthy version of mashed potatoes that is creamy, delicious and full of flavor!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Side
- Method: whipped
- Cuisine: american
- 2 lbs potatoes (small red, white or yukon, scrubbed, skins on)
- 1 T prepared horseradish, or fresh grated to taste
- ½ Cup lite sour cream ( or regular) more to taste
- 1–3 tablespoons butter (optional). Your call. More tastes better, less is better for you. 🙂
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 2–3 teaspoons granulated garlic ( or use 3–4 whole roasted garlic cloves )
- Cut potatoes in half ( or cut to an inch thick) and cover with water, in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on medium low heat, about 20 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Drain well. Mash and whisk in the rest of the ingredients. Keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.
- NOTE: Because these are lighter in the fat, it’s best to serve these right away….they don’t hold as long, and may dry out if held too long. Serve them freshly made and hot.
- Calories: 187
Keywords: mashed potatoes, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, horseradish mashed potatoes, healthy mashed potatoes,