Truly the best mushroom gravy recipe! It’s super easy, vegan-adaptable & gluten-free adaptable, and soooooooooo full of flavor, depth and complexity with the addition of miso! Use this on mashed potatoes, walnut loaf, biscuits, turkey or stuffing!
Hey friends! With Thanksgiving right around the corner, I thought I’d share a yummy, easy, recipe for Mushroom Gravy. It’s naturally vegetarian but can easily be made vegan and/or gluten-free. The best part? You can make this in 20 minutes. Your mashed potatoes will love you!
What I like about the recipe is its flavorful depth! Miso adds lovely complexity and umami flavor – and pairs so well with mushrooms. If going gluten-free, there is an option to leave it out.
How to make Mushroom Gravy (in a nutshell)
- Saute mushrooms and shallot in butter or olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and thyme, saute 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour and cook (or GF flour) stirring to combine, cooking the flour 2 minutes, letting it brown.
- Add hot vegetable stock whisking and scraping up all those flavorful browned bits. (Feel free to deglaze with white wine first!) Of course, you can use beef stock or beef broth for even more depth if not going plant-based.
- Simmer gently on med-low until reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes stirring often.
- Season with salt and pepper
Mushroom Gravy Ingredients:
- veggie broth or stock (or feel free to use beef, mushroom or chicken)
- miso paste (to add depth!)
- butter (or olive oil or vegan butter!)
- mushrooms (creminis, shiitakes, portobellos, morels) about 3-4 cups
- fresh thyme leaves (optional, sub 1 teaspoon dried)
- flour or GF flour
- salt and pepper to taste
What type of mushrooms to use in mushroom gravy?
- white button mushrooms
Today I just went with basic cremini mushrooms, sliced thin.
Add flour (or GF flour) and stir and cook this for a few minutes in the pan. Cooking the flour is an essential step to making this flavorful!
Then add veggie broth, water and miso.
Bring this to a simmer, and let reduce until thickened, about 5 minutes. This can be made ahead and reheated. Loosen with a splash of water.
What to serve with Mushroom Gravy?
- Sagey Mushroom Walnut Roast
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Polenta
- Roasted Turkey Breast with Rosemary and Garlic
- Parmesan Popovers with Thyme
And that is it! Delicious, easy Mushroom Gravy that can be made in 20 minutes!Print
Truly the best mushroom gravy recipe! It’s super easy, vegan-adaptable & gluten-free adaptable, and soooooooooo full of flavor, depth and complexity with the addition of miso! Use this on mashed potatoes, turkey or stuffing!
- 2 cups veggie broth or stock (or feel free to use beef, mushroom or chicken)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon miso paste (see notes for substitution)
- 3 tablespoons butter (or vegan butter!)
- 12 ounces mushrooms, sliced (creminis, shiitakes, portobellos, morels) about 3-4 cups
- 1 shallot, finely diced (or half an onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (optional, sub 1 teaspoon dried)
- 3 tablespoons flour or GF flour
- salt and pepper to taste
Place broth and water in a small pot and bring to a simmer, then stir in miso until disolved.
At the same time, heat butter ( or oil) in a large skillet and saute mushrooms and shallot over med-high heat. Saute 7-8 minutes, lowering heat if necessary, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms have fully released their liquid and all this liquid has cooked off.
Lower heat to medium, add garlic and thyme, saute 2 minutes.
Sprinkle the flour over top and stir to combine, cooking and stirring the flour 2 minutes, letting it brown a bit. Here is where the flavor is!
Add 1/2 of the hot broth, whisking and scraping all those flavorful browned-bits. When incorporated, add the remaining broth, stirring to combine Simmer gently on med-low until reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes. Taste for salt, adding some if needed along with pepper.
If using bouillon cubes (to make broth) go lighter than it says on the package. For example, instead of two cubes for two cups water, use 1 cube for 2 cups water.
If wanting to leave the miso out, replace it and the water with another cup of broth. Or use a tablespoon of soy sauce, or GF alternatives like Braggs or Coconut Aminos
Keywords: Mushroom Gravy, how to make vegetarian gravy, vegan gravy, vegetarian gravy, how to make gravy, easy gravy recipe, vegan gravy recipe,