Truly the best mushroom gravy recipe! It’s super easy, vegan-adaptable & gluten-free adaptable, and soooooooooo full of flavor, depth and complexity! Use this on mashed potatoes, biscuits, turkey or stuffing!
Hey friends! With Thanksgiving right around the corner, I thought I’d share a yummy, easy, recipe for Mushroom Gravy. It’s naturally vegetarian but can easily be made vegan and/or gluten-free. The best part? You can make this in 20 minutes!
What I like about the recipe is its flavorful depth! Miso adds lovely complexity and umami flavor – and pairs so well with mushrooms. If going gluten-free, there is an option to leave it out.
How to make Mushroom Gravy:
- Saute mushrooms and shallot in butter or olive oil.
- Add garlic and thyme, saute 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour (or GF flour) and stir to combine, cooking the flour 2 minutes, letting it brown.
- Add hot vegetable stock whisking and scraping up all those flavorful browned bits.
- Simmer gently on med-low until reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes. Taste for salt, adding some if needed along with pepper.
What type of mushrooms to use in mushroom gravy?
- white button mushrooms
Today I just went with basic cremini mushrooms, sliced thin.
Add flour (or GF flour) and stir and cook this for a few minutes in the pan.
Then add veggie broth, water and miso.
Bring this to a simmer, and let reduce until thickened, about 5 minutes. This can be made ahead and reheated. Loosen with a splash of water.
And that is it! Delicious, easy Mushroom Gravy that can be made in 20 minutes!Print
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 3 cups 1x
- Category: sides, sauces,
- Method: stove-top
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups veggie broth or stock (or feel free to use beef, mushroom or chicken)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon miso paste (see notes for substitution)
- 3 tablespoons butter (or vegan butter!)
- 12 ounces mushrooms, sliced (creminis, shiitakes, portobellos, morels) about 3-4 cups
- 1 shallot, finely diced (or half an onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (optional, sub 1 teaspoon dried)
- 3 tablespoons flour or GF flour
- salt and pepper to taste
At the same time, heat butter ( or oil) in a large skillet and saute mushrooms and shallot over med-high heat. Saute 7-8 minutes, lowering heat if necessary, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms have fully released their liquid and all this liquid has cooked off.
Lower heat to medium, add garlic and thyme, saute 2 minutes.
Sprinkle the flour over top and stir to combine, cooking and stirring the flour 2 minutes, letting it brown a bit. Here is where the flavor is!
Add 1/2 of the hot broth, whisking and scraping all those flavorful browned-bits. When incorporated, add the remaining broth, stirring to combine Simmer gently on med-low until reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes. Taste for salt, adding some if needed along with pepper.
If using bouillon cubes (to make broth) go lighter than it says on the package. For example, instead of two cubes for two cups water, use 1 cube for 2 cups water.
Keywords: Mushroom Gravy, how to make vegetarian gravy, vegan gravy, vegetarian gravy, how to make gravy, easy gravy recipe, vegan gravy recipe,