This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
How to make the BEST Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes ever! Creamy, fluffy and light these potatoes can be made in just 20 minutes! Using Yukon Gold potatoes allows you to skip the peeling step! Keep them warm in the Instant Pot until ready to serve. Vegan adaptable! Gluten-free. Serve with Mushroom Gravy!
Peace is this moment without judgment. That is all. This moment in the Heart-space where everything is welcome. ~Dorothy Hunt
I’ve made a lot of mashed potatoes in my life. Especially in my catering days -big huge batches, sometimes enough to feed 300-400 people. Truthfully some of those memories still give me a little PTSD, and I have to breathe myself through it! It wasn’t just the making of them that was the challenge (although yes that was challenging) it was the storing, keeping warm and transporting them to the event site.
This recipe for Instant Pot Mashed potatoes is not only is easy to make, but it’s also quick (20 minutes) it’s easy to store and keep warm right up until serving time. And that’s why I love it so much. And also, they taste amazing. But you tell me…
Easy enough for a weeknight dinner, yet convenient enough for the holidays because they do not take up any precious room on the stovetop or in the oven. Kind of perfect. Plus they can be made vegan!
And if you like, try adding roasted garlic, or a little goat cheese, or some truffle oil ( my favorite) or a little horseradish to bring the flavor over the top! Sooooooooo yummy!
How to make Mashed Potatoes in an Instant Pot:
- Cut potatoes in half and cover with water. No need to peel if using Yukons! Hooooooray!!!
- Set pressure to high, for 6 minutes.
- Manually release, and drain the potatoes. Add back to the instant pot.
- Mash the potatoes with butter, salt, pepper and sour cream
- Boost the flavor with roasted garlic or horseradish.
What type of potato is best for mashed potatoes?
- Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Thin-skinned New Potatoes- red, white, yellow or even purple!
- Russets- must be peeled first.
Potato peels are actually extremely nutritious so I tried to leave them on if possible. Plus it’s just easier. 🙂
Cut the potatoes in half and place them in the instant pot covered with water.
This recipe can easily be doubled if using a 6 or 8 quart instant pot.
Once the potatoes are done, drain and mash adding the butter (or vegan butter) and sour cream or (vegan sour cream).
Add salt, pepper and granulated garlic or roasted garlic for some flavor.
If you like a little kick, add a tablespoon of horseradish- so tasty!!!
And whip them up using the potato masher.
Creamy, fluffy and delicious, these guys will stay perfect in the Instant pot, covered on the warm setting until ready to use.
Seriously, the easiest mashed potatoes I’ve ever made.
When ready to serve just garnish with a little pepper, chives maybe even a drizzle of melted butter!
And of course, you could pair these amazing instant pot mashed potatoes with our tasty Mushroom Gravy.
Such a delicious combo! Give these Instant Pot Mashed potatoes a try, I know you’ll love them!
More recipes you’ll enjoy!
- Our BEST Thanksgiving Side Dishes
- Mashed Potatoes with Garlic and Horseradish ( stove top!)
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Ginger
- Mashed Cauliflower with Roasted Garlic
- Crispy Herby Smashed Potatoes
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 cups 1x
- Category: side dish, instant pot, vegan adaptable
- Method: instant pot,
- Cuisine: American
Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes- creamy, fluffy and light and can be made in 20 minutes! Boost their flavor with roasted Garlic, Goat cheese, or horseradish -or keep them simple! Up to you! Vegan adaptable – see notes. Serve with Mushroom Gravy!
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes ( any thin-skinned potato will work, see notes)
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter (or vegan butter)
- 1/2 cup-1 cup sour cream ( or sub-Kite’s Hill Vegan Cream Cheese)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- optional additions: 10-15 roasted garlic cloves (mashed) 1/4 cup-1/2 cup goat cheese or 1-2 tablespoons horseradish (to taste) or truffle oil, to taste.
Garnish: chives or scallions, mushroom gravy
- Cut potatoes in half and place in the instant pot. Add 6 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Set to high pressure, 6 minutes. Manually release, placing a kitchen towel over the steam spout.
- Drain, saving 1 cup of the potato water.
- Set Instant pot to Warm. Add the drained potatoes, butter, sour cream, salt and pepper and mash and stir, mash and stir until smooth.
- Add some or all of the potato water to loosen the potatoes if you like. If keeping these warm for a long period of time- I’ll add the full cup.
- Stir in any additions you like. Taste and adjust salt.
- Keep warm until ready to serve, garnishing with chives, melted butter and pepper.
I love using Yukon Gold potatoes in mashed potatoes! Not only do they have a creamy texture, there is no need to peel then, their skins are so thin.
Make this vegan by using vegan butter and vegan sour cream!
Not sure how much sour cream to add? Start conservatively ( 1/2 cup) and you can always add more to taste.
Feel free to double this recipe in a 6 -8 Quart Instant Pot.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 162
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 621.8 mg
- Fat: 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.3 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
- Cholesterol: 16.5 mg
Keywords: Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
I’ve made these several times now and I love them! Turn out great every time. I will definitely be using this recipe several times for the rest of this year with all of the holiday gatherings. Thank you, Sylvia!
Awesome Angie- glad this one works for you!
We made this with Thanksgiving dinner and it was easy and the results were amazing! Thanks!
Why do you put a kitchen towel over the spout?
So the steam doesn’t go everywhere when manually releasing. 🙂 Just a personal preference.
Think i could use whole milk? Did my shopping and not going back out cuz of COVID.
Do you mean instead of sour cream? If so, I’d also add a little cheese to give it some richness.
can i make this in a 6 qt instant pot with the same amount of ingredients? doubling it will make way too much!
I made it in a 6 quart, but haven’t tried doubling it.