Slice the potatoes very very thinly, while keeping their bottoms in tact. (Try not to cut them all the way through, but if you do, it’s not a big deal).
Slice garlic lengthwise very, very thinly.
Tuck a slice of garlic into every other slice. This will help separate the layers and infuse amazing flavor into the potato. Place the potatoes in an olive oil greased and salted baking dish.
Tuck rosemary leaves into the other slices of potatoes.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
When crispy and fork tender, pull the potatoes out from the oven and tuck more fresh rosemary into the slices for garnish. The cooked rosemary will brown, but leave it in, it has great flavor — just camouflage with sprigs of the fresh rosemary.
Rosemary Garlic Hasselback Potatoes
Rosemary Garlic Hasselback Potatoes by Sylvia Fountaine- feasting at home blog October-11-2014 Crispy Rosemary Garlic Potatoes cut Hasselback Style
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 70 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Yield: 4-5 1x
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Northwest
- Preheat oven 425°F with a rack in the lower-middle position
- Wash and dry the potatoes…leave thin skins on.Cut thin ⅛ inch slits into the potato, stopping just before you cut through so that the slices stay connected at the bottom of the potato –but don’t worry if you cut through.
- Slice the garlic, very thinly, lengthwise. Slip a piece of garlic in every other slit in the potatoes. Tuck a rosemary leaf or two into the other slits. It doesn’t have to be perfect. Placing the rosemary and garlic in between the slices separates them and reduces cooking time.
- Brush the bottom of the baking dish or cast iron skillet with olive oil and sprinkle dish with salt and pepper.
- Brush top and sides of potatoes with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, (reserving 1 tablespoon for brushing again halfway through baking). You can use less oil if you prefer.
- Arrange the potatoes in a baking dish and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Bake the potatoes for 35-40 minutes. At this point, the layers will start separating. Brush the potatoes again with a little oil, making sure some of it drips down into the space between the slices.
- Bake for another 25 to 35 minutes, until the potatoes are crispy on the edges and fork tender. Bigger potatoes may take longer….and If they begin to get too brown, lightly cover with foil and turn heat down to 400F until tender. Total baking time is 60 to 70 minutes for medium sized potatoes (if your potatoes are on the small side or are larger, adjust cooking time accordingly).
- Garnish with fresh rosemary leaves.
- Calories: 275
Keywords: Hasselback Potatoes, Hasselback potato recipes, how to make hasselback potatoes, what are hasselback potatoes?