This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
This easy Scalloped Potatoe Recipe is made with simple ingredients and just 25 minutes of hands-on time before baking in the oven. Tender and creamy with a golden, crispy top, scalloped potatoes are a delicious side dish for weeknight dinners or the holiday table. Video.
Now is the time to know that all that you do is sacred… Now is the time for you to deeply compute the impossibility that there is anything but grace.Hafiz
These homey, mouthwatering Scalloped Potatoes are very simple! Lemon zest gives a brightness that balances the richness of the potatoes and cream. Thyme and dijon add a lovely complexity that just adds flavor without overpowering. Layer with parmesan cheese or leave it off.
What we love about this recipe is how easy it is! We skip making a classic white sauce and just let the oven create the magic. Everything goes straight into the pan, resulting in delicious, tender potatoes in about an hour.
Scalloped Potatoes | 60-Sec Video
These can also be made in a sheet pan! The potatoes are laid out just in one layer, resulting in more of that crusty top texture. See recipe notes.
For another favorite easy vegan potato recipe, try our Rosemary Garlic Hasselback Potatoes.
Table of Contents
- Scalloped Potatoes | 60-Sec Video
- Scalloped Potatoes In 4 Easy Steps
- Scalloped Potatoes Ingredeints
- Ingredient Notes
- What To Serve With Scalloped Potatoes
- Sagey Mushroom Walnut Roast
- Sagey Leek and White Bean Patties
- Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
- Easy Italian Meatballs
- More Recipes You May Enjoy
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Romesco Sauce
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Crispy Herby Smashed Potatoes
- Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
Scalloped Potatoes In 4 Easy Steps
- Slice potatoes with a mandolin or food processor.
- Mix cream with lemon zest, dijon mustard, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Layer potato slices with cream mixture and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 50 minutes to 1 hour.
Scalloped Potatoes Ingredeints
- Use Yukon gold potatoes or red potatoes -no need to peel potatoes with a thin skin!
- Dijon Mustard adds a flavorful tang.
- Zest of a lemon may be an unusual ingredient, but this really brightens and complements the richness of this dish.
- Nutmeg, freshly grated if possible.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How To Make Scalloped Potatoes
STEP THREE – Put approximately 1/2 of the potatoes in the prepared pan, give the cream mixture a good stir and pour 1/2 of it over the potatoes. Top with 1/2 of the cheese. Layer the remaining potatoes with the rest of the cream. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
For the sheet pan version: Spread all the potatoes on the tray (it works best to spread out in rows with potato slices overlapping each other. Pour cream mixture over the top and top with cheese if desired.
STEP FOUR – Cover the potatoes with foil. Place in the middle of the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20-30 minutes more until fork tender. Broil for just a few minutes to brown the top, if desired.
Scalloped Potatoes are best baked as soon as assembled. But you can bake ahead and reheat to serve. Or even freeze after baking for a ready-made side dish; just thaw and reheat. Leftovers are such a tasty treat.
What To Serve With Scalloped Potatoes
Scalloped Potatoes faqs
Yes. They need to be stored fully submerged in water to prevent discoloring.
It is best to bake scalloped potatoes right after assembling them. If kept in the fridge unbaked, the potatoes can get watery and turn gray. You can bake and refrigerate or freeze the baked scalloped potatoes and then reheat to serve.
Au Gratin Potatoes are made with a white sauce, like a béchamel and usually contain cheese and bread crumbs.
Scalloped Potatoes are made with sliced potatoes cooked in an herb-infused cream, traditionally not containing cheese.
More Recipes You May Enjoy
Love this recipe? Please let us know in the comments and leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below the recipe card.
Enjoy! ~ ToniaPrint
The easiest Scalloped Potatoes made with simple ingredients and just 25 minutes of hands-on time, before baking in the oven until golden and crispy. See recipe notes for the sheet-pan version.
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes (or red potatoes), sliced 1/8″
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- zest of a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated preferably for best flavor
- 1 cup parmesan cheese- or sub-grated gruyere, white cheddar, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter or oil your baking dish. 8 x 11 or 9 x 13, a round skillet will work too.
- Thinly slice potatoes on a mandoline, vegetable slicer or food processor 1/8 inch thick rounds. No need to peel if using red or yellow (like Yukon gold) potatoes.
- Mix together cream, garlic, thyme, dijon mustard, lemon zest, pepper, salt and nutmeg in a pourable container.
- Put about 1/2 of the potatoes in the prepared pan, give the cream mixture a good stir and pour 1/2 of it over the potatoes. Top with 1/2 of the cheese. Layer the remaining potatoes with the rest of the cream. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. See notes for Sheet Pan version.
- Cover the potatoes with foil. Place in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20-30 minutes more until fork tender. Broil for just a few minutes to brown the top, if desired.
To make ahead of time: Prepare and bake, cool completely, cover securely and refrigerate or freeze. Reheat completely thawed potatoes at 350F for 20-30 minutes and serve.
For the sheet pan version: Spread all the potatoes on the well oiled tray (it works best to spread out in rows with potato slices overlapping each other. Pour cream mixture over the top and top with cheese if desired.
- Serving Size: about 3/4 cup
- Calories: 143
- Sugar: 1.4 g
- Sodium: 198.7 mg
- Fat: 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.9 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 2.9 g
- Cholesterol: 17 mg
Keywords: scalloped potatoes, scalloped potatoes recipe, easy scalloped potatoes, scallop potatoes, how to make easy scalloped potatoes