Roasted Romesco Potatoes with a simple easy Romesco Sauce, using simply pantry ingredients you probably already have on hand ! A simple vegan side dish perfect for weeknight dinners or the holiday table!
As the weather cools, the way we cook begins to shift. Gradually we move from outdoor grills to indoors where the oven becomes the hub of our cooking. There is something so comforting and cozy about turning the oven on, isn’t there? Whether it’s baking, roasting, braising, it feels so homey and nurturing. It warms the whole house and fills it with such delicious aromas- wetting the appetite.
In this recipe for roasted Romesco Potatoes, fingerlings are simply sliced in half, tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted in the oven until tender, about 30 minutes. While it’s roasting, whip up the 5 minute Romesco Sauce – made with simple, pantry ingredients you probably already have on hand. A flavorful and hearty fall side dish.
When fall arrives, we find our appetites begin to increase almost proportionally to the cold. Storing up for winter perhaps! One thing I find myself craving are potatoes. I love their heartiness and versatility, and most of all I love them roasted.
Roasting fingerling potatoes coaxes out their nutty, earthy flavor while enhancing their subtle sweetness. Because they are small, they roast quickly, especially when sliced in half lengthwise.
They get nice and crispy on the outside and have a delicious buttery interior.
While they are roasting, the quick Romesco Sauce can be whipped up in literally 5 minutes.
Here I’ve used hazelnuts- but other nuts work well too, especially almonds.
Romesco Sauce if unfamiliar, hails from Catalonia, an area in Northern Spain. There are many versions, but most contain red peppers, tomatoes and nuts. It can be made spicy or kept mild. Traditionally it’s served with meat, chicken, fish or roasted vegetables. It can be swirled into soup for a burst of favor, or even tossed with pasta. Think of this as a roasted red pepper pesto of sorts – a good one to have in your back pocket.
When the potatoes are done, toss them with the romesco sauce and serve right away.
For added texture, sprinkle with crushed hazelnuts and a scattering of fresh herbs like thyme or sage.
The leftovers are also very good reheated in the oven with the romesco sauce on them. So easy & so full of flavor! Give it a whirl and comment below!
Roasted Romesco Potatoes
Roasted Romesco Potatoes- a simply tasty recipe for Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with a flavorful 5 minute Romesco Sauce, made w/ simply pantry ingredients you probably already have! | www.feastingathome.com
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4
- Category: Vegan
- Cuisine: Spanish Side dish
- 1 ½ pounds fingerling potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- generous pinch salt and cracked pepper
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts
- 1 roasted red bell pepper (from a jar or can)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon red wine vinegar (or sherry vinegar)
- ½ teaspoon salt ( more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛-¼ teaspoon chipotle powder, more to taste
- Fresh herbs for garnish- thyme or Italian Parsley
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Slice potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Toss potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl .
- Place on a parchment lined sheet pan and roast in the hot oven 30 minutes or until fork tender and golden.
- Place all romesco ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until well combined, but not too smooth.
- Taste and adjust salt and spiciness.
- When potatoes are done, toss a few tablespoons of romesco sauce with the warm potatoes and plae in a serving dish.
- Garnish with fresh herbs
- Save remaining romesco sauce in a jar and cover with a layer of oilive oil. Cover and store in the fridge for another use.