Sheet-Pan Harissa Chicken with roasted Sweet Potatoes- just 15 minutes of hands on time, before baking in the oven. Smoky, earthy, and fragrant seasoned with North African Spices.
Here’s a quick and flavorful meal that will fill your home with deliciousness – Sheet-Pan Harissa Chicken and Sweet Potatoes . It can be easily made vegan by substituting tofu (or even fish!) for the chicken, which, seriously is just as good, if not better. The best thing is, it only takes 15 minutes of prep before going into the oven to bake. When it comes out, mouths will water!!! Give it a try, I think you will like it.
Earthy, smoky and just a little bit spicy, the chicken pairs deliciously well with the roasted sweet potatoes. Of course, you can add other veggies to this as well – carrots, parsnips, red bell pepper – all would work nicely. AND remember- if cooking for mixed households, feel free to substitute tofu filets OR EVEN FISH for the chicken, coating with the same marinade and baking the same way. So easy!!!
For more delicious Sheet Pan Recipes go here!
Hailing from North Africa, harissa is a spicy chili paste, often used as a marinade or condiment for meats and vegetables. It varies greatly from region to region across Libya, Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco, but most variations include chilies, earthy spices and onion and garlic blended up into a flavorful hot paste that can be used in a multitude of ways- often becoming flavorful base for curries, soups and stews.
Mildly spicy, earthy and smoky, harissa paste adds flavor to just about anything- and this version of quick harissa marinade is easy and simple — just stir it up in a bowl, no blender or food processor required!
The optional Green Harissa Yogurt Sauce is optional, but cooling and delicious, a nice contrast to the smoky spicy chicken.
Just place everything on a sheet pan and bake.
There is an optional green harissa yogurt sauce you can add to this- it’s not necessary, I don’t always make it, especially if in a hurry, but if making for a special occasion or when entertaining, I’ll whip up a small batch to serve alongside.
Leftovers make for a tasty lunch.
Give this quick Sheet-Pan Harissa Chicken with Sweet Potatoes a try this week!
Here’s another quick, sheet-pan chicken recipe….Sheet-Pan Chicken with Crispy Potatoes, Lemon and Thyme
Remember you can swap out tofu or fish for the chicken for mixed households….so easy, tasty and your whole family will love it!
For more delicious Sheet Pan Recipes go here!
- 2 garlic cloves- finely minced or crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder ( optional, or sub chili flakes )
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds ( optional, but good)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
2 lbs sweet potatoes (about 2 medium-sized) – diced into 1/2 inch cubes, unpeeled.
1 large red onion- sliced into 1/2 inch wedges
4 chicken thighs, skin on, bone-in (or substitute 4 once Tofu “filets” about 1 inch thick, or a thick meaty white fish, like sea bass.
Garnish: Cilantro sprigs
Quick Green Harissa Sauce
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Stir marinade ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Dice the sweet potatoes into ½-¾ inch cubes and place in a medium bowl with half the marinade and toss to coat. Place them in a single layer on one side of a parchment lined sheet pan.
- Cut the onion, and place next to the sweet potatoes, drizzle with a little oil if you want (or not), saving room for the chicken.
- Pat the chicken dry, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and place in the same medium bowl and add the remaining marinade, coating all sides well.
- Line up next to the onions. If using very small sheet pans, you may need to use two. Do not overlap!
- Place the sheet pan in the oven and bake 30 minutes but check after 20, rotating the pan if necessary.
- While baking, make Green Harissa Sauce, blending all the ingredients in the blender.
- Double-check that the chicken is cooked through before serving, and for extra crispy skin, broil for a few minutes at the end.
- Divide the roasted sweet potatoes among 4 bowls and top with the chicken. Garnish with cilantro and serve with the Green Harissa Yogurt Sauce
If using boneless, skinless chicken thigh or breast, it will most likely cook faster, so make sure to check after 20 minutes. If done, take off the sheet pan, and let the sweet potatoes continue cooking until fork tender.
For vegans, sub a tofu filet about 1 inch thick.
If substituting with fish, check after 10-12 minutes, depending on how thick the cut.
Keywords: harissa chicken, harissa chicken recipe, baked harissa chicken, sheet pan harissa chicken, harissa sweet potatoes