This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
These Sweet Potato Fries can be baked in the oven, or in your air fryer. Healthy, easy and oh-so crispy! Vegan.
Tossed with olive oil, salt and spices, these Sweet Potato Fries are easy, healthy, vegan and super crispy! And however, you choose to serve them- in an elegant glass or on a sheet pan, know that they will most likely disappear within minutes. There are pretty hard to resist and your kids will love them too!
What I love about this recipe!
- These can be baked in the oven or made in an Air Fryer!
- They are made with simple ingredients.
- They are made extra crispy with *optional cornstarch or rice flour.
- Using a wire cooling rack to bake them allow air to circulate better.
Sweet Potato Fry Ingredients
- Sweet potatoes– or American yams (or use regular russet potatoes). Here I have use both
- olive oil– choose a smooth, light olive oil that is mild and not bitter
- Spices– cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Optional– cornstarch or rice flour for extra crispy
How to make Sweet Potato Fries
Step 1: Cut yams or sweet potatoes into 1/3-inch thick strips. I leave the peels on, just wash and dry them first.
Step 2: Lightly coat the sweet potatoes in olive oil in a bowl, then toss in the salt and spices and optional cornstarch or rice flour.
Step 3: Bake. Place them on a rack over a sheet pan in the oven to get them nice and crispy. I used a wire cooling rack. Make sure your oven is piping hot! 450F. Place them in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes.
Alternatively, you can Air fry: Place in a single layer on the air fryer rack ( you’ll most likely need to do 2-3 batches) and bake for 12 minutes at 375F. Toss, and bake 5 more minutes. You will need to do 2 batches.
TIP: To keep them nice and crispy, serve them spread out on a sheet-pan with the dipping sauce. (Piling them up will cause them to steam and wilt.)
Or, if serving immediately, serve them upright in a glass with parchment.
What to serve with Sweet Potato Fries
- Chipotle Mayo (Mexican Secret Sauce)
- Harissa Aioli (recipe below)
- Ketchup spiked with chipotle
- Sriracha mayo
- Mustard-spiked Mayo.
A great way to get a healthy veggie into a picky eater. 🙂
More Sweet Potato Recipes You may like
Sweet Potato Fries (Oven or Air Fryer)
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2-4 1x
- Category: side, vegan
- Method: baked, air fryer
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
These Sweet Potato Fries can be baked in the oven, or in your Air Fryer. Healthy, easy and oh-so crispy! Vegan.
- 1 extra large sweet potato (1 lb)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 F (see notes for air fryer)
- Slice sweet potatoes lengthwise into ⅓-inch thick slices- no need to peel. Then cut each slice into ⅓ inch thick strips. Cut as uniformly as possible.
- Toss potatoes with enough oil to coat. Mix cornstarch with salt, and spices in a separate small bowl and toss with the sweet potatoes.
- Place a wire cooling rack over a sheet pan, and arrange them on the rack not overlapping. Bake for 20-25 minutes. If you don’t have a wire rack use a parchment lined sheet pan – do not line with foil – the corn starch will stick to foil. Check at 15 mins. Bake another 5-10 minutes if needed (thicker pieces will need the extra time) being careful not to burn. Note.If cooking on the sheet pan, turn the fries over, halfway through cooking ( like at 12 minutes).
- When the sweet potato fries are tender and crispy, pull them from the oven.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkling of fresh cilantro or parsley for color and aioli.
Harissa Aioli (or Make Chipotle Mayo!)
- ⅓ cup vegan mayo or regular mayo
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder (optional, or sub cayenne or chili flakes)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
To make the harissa aioli, whisk the ingredients together in a small bowl.
When serving for a group, spread them out a little so they stay crispy. ( If you pile them up, they will get soft.) I sometimes just serve them on a sheet pan. Or in a cup or class where they stand upright, allowing the air to circulate.
- Serving Size: ¾ cup
- Calories: 132
- Sugar: 4.8 g
- Sodium: 363.9 mg
- Fat: 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.6 g
- Fiber: 3.7 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: sweet potato fries, sweet potato fries recipe, sweet potato fries baked, sweet potato fries air fryer, how to make sweet potato fries, crispy sweet potato fries
These are tasty, but also very easy! They were in the oven in 10 minutes. I tend to get in a rut when I need a quickie side dish (here’s looking at you, sautéed kale) and these will be a welcome addition to the rotation. Kids, husband, everyone happily gobbled them up.
My husband loves these too! Glad they enjoyed.
Great side dish. Aioli really made it extra special. Simple and fast
These fries were so tasty and the cornstarch gave it a nice crispy texture. I cooked them in my newly acquired air fryer and it came out perfectly! I served them with the miso portobello burger for lunch. So yummy!
SOOOOO good! We had some red (boiling) potatoes that were starting to look a little sad so we used these instead. The slices were much smaller, of course, but made some nice-looking wedges. They were done in 20 minutes or so and really good with the aioli. Thank you – again!
I am always happy with these practical recepies
My Husband is becoming vegan after seeing theGame Changers
So ever new vegan recepie is
Great to hear!
These turned out so good!