Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Harissa! – Healthy, EASY and oh so crispy! A delicious vegan side that is good for you and full of amazing flavor! Vegan and Gluten-free.
How ever you choose to serve these Harissa Baked Sweet Potato Fries – in an elegant glass or on a simple sheet-pan, know that they will most likely disappear within minutes. There are pretty hard to resist! Seasoned with a combination of simple spices, that loosely mimic Harissa, they turn out crispy, full of flavorful, and not too spicy – meaning, your kids will love them too!
Lightly coat the sweet potatoes in olive oil, then toss in the spices.
To get them nice and crispy, place on a rack over a sheet pan in the oven. I used a cooling rack.
Make sure your oven is piping hot!
Place them in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes.
No need to turn.
Serve them spread out on a sheet-pan so they stay crispy.
(Piling them up will cause them to steam and wilt.)
Or serve the upright, in a cup or glass, where the air can still circulate…. at least part ways.:)
Serve with this vegan-adaptable Harissa Aioli. (Or if you happen to have some Chipotle Mayo hanging out in your fridge….use that! So good!)
A great way to get a heathly veggie into a picky eater. 🙂
Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Harissa
Baked Sweet Potato Fries, fwith flavorful harissa! A delicious, healthy, vegan side!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: side, vegan
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: North African
- 1 extra large sweet potato (1 lb)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 –2 cloves garlic finely minced ( use a garlic press)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
Harissa Aioli ( or Make Chipotle Mayo!)
- Preheat oven to 450 F (make sure it is hot)
- Slice sweet potatoes lengthwise into ⅓ inch thick slices- no need to peel. Then cut each slice into ⅓ inch thick strips. Cut as uniformly as possible.
- Toss potatoes with the Corn Starch in the bowl. Mix oil with spices and garlic in a separate small bowl and toss with the sweet potatoes.
- Place on parchment lined sheet pan, or on a cooling rack over a sheet pan in the oven for 20-30 minutes. (Do not line with foil -corn starch will stick to foil.) Check at 20 mins. Bake another 5-10 minutes if needed (thicker pieces will need the extra time) being careful not to burn. If cooking on the sheet pan, turn the fries over, half way through cooking ( like at 12 minutes).
- In the meantime mix the Harissa aioli – place all ingredients in a small bowl and stir well.
- When the harissa fries are tender, pull from the oven.
- Serve immediately with the Harissa aioli and a sprinkling of fresh cilantro or parsley for color.
When serving for a group, spread them out a little so they stay crispy. ( If you pile them up, they will get soft.) I sometimes just serve them on a sheet pan. Or in a cup or class where they stand upright, allowing the air to circulate.
Keywords: baked sweet potato fries, sweet potato fries recipe, sweet potato fries baked, how to make sweet potato fries, crispy sweet potato fries