Baked Sweet Potato Fries, fwith flavorful harissa! A delicious, healthy, vegan side!
- 1 extra large sweet potato (1 lb)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 –2 cloves garlic finely minced ( use a garlic press)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
Harissa Aioli ( or Make Chipotle Mayo!)
- Preheat oven to 450 F (make sure it is hot)
- Slice sweet potatoes lengthwise into ⅓ inch thick slices- no need to peel. Then cut each slice into ⅓ inch thick strips. Cut as uniformly as possible.
- Toss potatoes with the Corn Starch in the bowl. Mix oil with spices and garlic in a separate small bowl and toss with the sweet potatoes.
- Place on parchment lined sheet pan, or on a cooling rack over a sheet pan in the oven for 20-30 minutes. (Do not line with foil -corn starch will stick to foil.) Check at 20 mins. Bake another 5-10 minutes if needed (thicker pieces will need the extra time) being careful not to burn. If cooking on the sheet pan, turn the fries over, half way through cooking ( like at 12 minutes).
- In the meantime mix the Harissa aioli – place all ingredients in a small bowl and stir well.
- When the harissa fries are tender, pull from the oven.
- Serve immediately with the Harissa aioli and a sprinkling of fresh cilantro or parsley for color.
When serving for a group, spread them out a little so they stay crispy. ( If you pile them up, they will get soft.) I sometimes just serve them on a sheet pan. Or in a cup or class where they stand upright, allowing the air to circulate.
Keywords: baked sweet potato fries, sweet potato fries recipe, sweet potato fries baked, how to make sweet potato fries, crispy sweet potato fries