How to make Chipotle Mayo (aka Mexican Secret Sauce) – a simple 5 minute sauce that everyone should know about to give meals a huge BURST of flavor! Vegan adaptable, GF!
A wise woman once said, “Fuck this shit.” And she lived happily ever after. ~Anonymous
This vegan-adaptable Mexican Secret Sauce or Chipotle Mayo is probably not a huge secret anymore … but to some it may be the difference between a dish that is bland and unexciting to something fantastically delicious! And the best thing is it only takes FIVE minutes to make, and I’m pretty sure you already have the simple ingredients on hand. It keeps in the fridge for weeks and comes in handy quite frequently around here.
This chipotle sauce is one we use in our catering business. At home, I make a healthier vegan version (see notes in recipe) and keep it in a squirt bottle ready to drizzle lightly over tacos, fish, corn on the cob, nachos, enchiladas, and even over Brian’s fish sticks – adding a burst of flavor! The latest use though, is over these Quick Fish Tacos or the Mexican Style Oaxacan Bowls, Tlayludas or these super yummy Chipotle Portobello Tacos which you simply must try!
If you are vegan, make this with Veganaise or silken tofu. A flavor booster for sure!
Simply stir the ingredients together. You can make it spicy, or you can keep it mild. Your choice!
Use mayo or keep it vegan with vegan mayo or silken tofu!
Just whisk it up….and it’s done!
How easy is that?
Give it a whirl!
Also…. try this vegan Cilantro-Jalapeno Sauce– a green version of this!
And for more flavor boosting sauces to elevate your dishes…. go here!
Chipotle Mayo-Mexican Secret Sauce
Vegan -Adaptable Chipotle Mayo- a smoky spicy zesty Mexican Secret Sauce for tacos, tosadas, enchilada’s or most any mexican food. Can be made vegan with Veganaise or use Silken Tofu ( see notes). Gluten Free.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: ½ cup
- Category: Condiment
- Method: whisk
- Cuisine: Mexican
- ½ cup mayo ( or use sour cream, vegan mayo “Veganaise” – or make with silken tofu, see notes below)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 -2 teaspoons lime juice ( to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder – you can also use one canned chipotle pepper (blending it with the mayo in a blender) or just stir in a teaspoon or two of the spicy smoky adobo sauce from the can. Start conservatively, adding more to taste.
- If making with mayo or Veganaise, place all ingredients in a small bowl. Be conservative with the chipotle ( you can always add more). Whisk until smooth with a fork or tiny whisk. ( See notes below if making with silken tofu.)
- Taste, adjust heat, adding more if you like.
- Store in a small jar in the fridge, or in a squirt bottle for easy use. Keeps up to 3 weeks.
If making a vegan version with silken tofu- replace the mayo with ½ a package silken tofu ( about 6 ounces), leave out the water and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Increase salt to ½-¾ teaspoon, add ¼ teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (in addition to the lime) and place all in a food processor, blending until smooth and creamy. Use a canned chipotle pepper or the just a teaspoon or two of the adobo sauce from the can, for the best flavor. Adjust salt, heat and lime.
I use Mori-Nu Organic Silken Tofu- Firm or Extra Firm Tofu
Keywords: chipotle mayo, how to make chipotle mayo, vegan chipotle mayo