These quick & easy egg bites are the perfect make-ahead breakfast. Make them in 35 minutes, and store them in the fridge for the busy work week, or freeze and reheat. Keto and Vegetarian.
We think that the point is to pass the test or overcome the problem, but the truth is that things don’t really get solved. They come together and they fall apart. Then they come together again and fall apart again. It’s just like that. The healing comes from letting there be room for all of this to happen: room for grief, for relief, for misery, for joy.~ Pema Chodron
Here’s a simple recipe for egg bites that can be made ahead, perfect for busy mornings and breakfast on the go. These are adapted from Once Upon a Chef, where my friend Jenn was able to perfectly recreate the Starbucks version, using steam in the oven to create a silky custardy texture.
We’ve done the same here and kept them vegetarian with roasted red pepper and fresh basil from the garden. But really you can add almost anything! Scroll down to see some of my favorite variations!
The best part? They are SO simple!
Ingredients in Egg Bites
- Large Eggs
- Cottage Cheese- use whole milk cottage cheese, full fat
- Shredded Cheese- gruyere, mozzarella, pepper jack, cheddar or a blend
- Salt and Pepper
- Roasted Peppers
- Fresh Basil leaves
How to make Egg Bites
Step One: Blend eggs, cottage cheese, shredded cheese, salt and pepper in a blender until smooth.
Step Two: Grease a nonstick muffin tin with spray oil and divide the batter evenly.
Step Three: Top with the roasted peppers, tomatoes and fresh basil, stirring them down a bit. Scroll down for more variations.
Step Four: Bake at 300F for 20-24 minutes, until puffed, golden and set.
TIP: While pre-heating the oven, place a pan of water underneath ( 1/4 th inch deep) – to steam them while they bake. This creates a silky custard-like texture.
Step Five: Cool for 5-10 minutes, loosening the edges by running a knife around them, then carefully scoop out with a large spoon.
Serve warm or at room temp, or cool and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Egg bites can be reheated in a microwave for roughly 60 seconds or warmed in a toaster oven.
Variation of Egg Bites
- sauteed mushrooms, thyme, gruyere
- caramelized shallots, smoked mozzarella cheese and sage
- smoked salmon & fresh dill
- spinach, sundried tomato & goat cheese
- bacon crumbles, jalapeno & cheddar
- canned green chilies, cilantro and pepper jack.
Can egg bites be frozen?
Yes, egg bites can be frozen. Separate layers with parchment paper, and freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat in the morning.
Enjoy the Egg Bites. Take a look at my friend, Jenn’s blog and have a beautiful weekend. ❤️
More egg recipes you may like:Print
These quick & easy egg bites are the perfect make-ahead breakfast. Make them in 35 minutes, and store them in the fridge for the busy work week, or freeze and reheat. Keto and Vegetarian. (Adapted from Once Upon a Chef.)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup cottage cheese (full fat 4%)
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheese- gruyere, cheddar, mozzarella, pepper jack, etc
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 roasted bell pepper, sliced or diced (from a jar, or sub-canned green chilies, drained)
- 1/4– 1/2 cup fresh basil, ribbons (or sub cilantro or dill)
- optional: 6-12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- optional: 3 tablespoons parmesan
- Preheat oven to 300F. Place a pan of water 1/4 inch deep, on the lower rack to create steam. (see notes)
- Grease a standard, non-stick muffin tin with olive oil. If not using non-stick, use muffin liners.
- Place the eggs, cottage cheese, shredded cheese, salt and pepper in a blender and blend until silky smooth.
- Pour and divide the batter into the greased muffin tins-to about 3/4 full.
- Add the roasted pepper and basil to the top, stirring some down a bit. Top with a cherry tomato and sprinkle lightly with parmesan cheese.
- Place the egg bites on the middle rack (over the pan with water) and bake until the egg bites are set and golden, about 20-24 minutes. Be doubly sure the center ones are set– they usually take 1-2 minutes longer than the ones on the edges.
- Let cool 5- 10 minutes, loosen the edges with a knife, and carefully scoop them out with a spoon.
- These will keep up to 4 days in the fridge or can be frozen and reheated.
Adding the pan of water to the preheating oven will make steam, which gives them a silky, custardy texture.
Other variations: smoked salmon & dill, sundried tomato & olive, bacon crumbles & cheddar, canned green chilies + cilantro and pepper jack.
- Serving Size: 1 egg bite
- Calories: 122
- Sugar: 1.4 g
- Sodium: 278.2 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.9 g
- Fiber: 0.3 g
- Protein: 10.3 g
- Cholesterol: 112.6 mg
Keywords: egg bites, egg muffins, egg bite recipe, easy egg muffins, egg muffin recipe