After a little research, I find that it is also really popular in Israel. For a Moroccan twist, add a couple pinches of cinnamon and some dried apricots or raisins to the stew.
Shakshuka- North African Skillet Eggs
Shakshuka -A flavorful North African baked egg dish with sautéed peppers, tomatoes and spices, topped with eggs and herbs.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- 3T Olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, diced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- cracked pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 3 medium tomatoes diced small
- 1/3 c white wine or water
- 1 T fresh basil ribbons or chopped Italian parsley
- 4 -6 Extra large organic eggs ( or seared salt and pepper tofu…see below)
- Other optional additions:
- crumbled feta or goat cheese
- 1 C browed chorizo
- ¼ C finely diced spanish style cured Chorizo or Merguez, a North African spiced sausage
- preheat oven to 400F
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. ( if adding raw chorizo, brown it with the onions)
- Add the sliced peppers and garlic, and turn heat down to med-low and cook for 5 more minutes, until peppers are tender.
- If adding the cured spanish chorizo or Merguez sausage, add it now.
- Add all spices, sugar and salt.
- Cook for 2 more minutes. Add fresh tomatoes and white wine ( or water).
- Simmer on low for 15 minutes, adding more water if it gets too dry or thick. You want a stew like consistency. After tomatoes cook down, taste, it should be full flavored and adjust salt and sugar if necessary.
- Crack 4-6 eggs over the mixture, sprinkling each egg with a little salt and cracked pepper.
- Add crumble goat cheese or feta ( optional) over the top and place in the 400F oven. Bake until Egg whites are cooked ( about 7 minutes) and yolks are still soft. Remove from oven and top with fresh basil ( or cilantro or Italian parsely). Serve with toast or crusty bread.
Pan Seared Salt and Pepper Tofu ( Egg Substitue)
A great and tasty substitute for eggs!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 3-4
- One block of firm tofu
- 2 T Oil
- chili flakes, optional
- Slice one block of tofu into four 1 inch thick pieces.
- Using a round 2 or 3 inch cookie cutter, cut 4 circles into the tofu, reserving the scraps for something else.( this is optional- you can cut tofu how you like)
- In a heavy bottom skillet heat 2 T oil, add a generous pinch of kosher salt and generous amount cracked pepper directly into the oil, and some chili flakes if you like heat.
- Heat oil and salt, pepper mix on medium heat until hot.
- Blot tofu with paper towels and sear in the hot seasoned oil, until lightly brown on each side.
- Serve over the Shakshuka.