After a little research, I’ve found that Shakshuka is also really popular in Israel.
Shakshuka -A flavorful North African baked egg dish with sautéed peppers, tomatoes and spices, topped with eggs and herbs.
- 3T Olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced or diced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, sliced or diced
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 3/4 tsp salt, more to taste
- cracked pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp aleppo chili flakes (optional)
- 3 medium tomatoes diced small with juices ( or one 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with juices)
- 1/3 cup water or white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil ribbons, chopped cilantro or Italian parsley
- 4 –6 Extra large organic eggs
Other optional additions:
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup goat cheese or crumbled feta
- ¼ C finely diced Spanish-style cured Chorizo or 1 cup Merguez Sausage, a North African spiced sausage
- preheat oven to 375F
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the sliced peppers and garlic, and turn heat down to med-low and cook for 5-7 more minutes, until peppers are tender.
- Add all spices, sugar and salt.
- Cook for 2 more minutes. Add fresh tomatoes and water (or wine).
- Simmer on low for 10-15 minutes, uncovered, adding more water if it gets too dry or thick. You want a saucy, stew-like consistency. After tomatoes cook down, taste, it should be full-flavored, so adjust salt, spices, and sugar if necessary.
- With the back of a spoon, make a well for each egg in the stew. Crack the eggs into each well, sprinkling each egg with a little salt and cracked pepper and Aleppo chili flakes.
- Place in the 375F oven.
- Bake until egg whites are become opaque and are cooked ( about 8-10 minutes) and yolks are still soft ( or to your desired doneness.)
- Remove from oven and top with fresh basil (or cilantro or Italian Parsley) and goat cheese.
- Serve with crusty bread.
If adding cured (cooked) Spanish style chorizo, add to the simmering stew. If adding Merquez Sausage, brown it with the onions and peppers.
Keywords: shakshuka, shakshuka recipe, what is shakshuka? skillet eggs, best Shakshuka recipe