In a heavy bottom, oven proof, 10 inch skillet, brown the chorizo.
Once browned, set it aside. In the same skillet, no need to wipe, bring chicken stock to a boil.
Whisk in corn meal or polenta.
Cover and let cook on low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Any melty cheese will do.
Once the polenta has cooked for a full 15 minutes, stir in the cheese and half of the cilantro ( saving half for garnish).
Add half of the chorizo.
Add a touch of smoked paprika.
Place the remaining chorizo in the center and crack 4-6 eggs around the the edges. I make littles wells with the back of a spoon and place the eggs in them. Salt and pepper each egg.
Place the whole thing in the oven and bake until the the egg whites are set and “white” and the yolks are to your desired doneness. This is especially good with the yolks a little soft. Garnish with hot sauce and cilantro.
* If adding sautéd spinach, or mushrooms…place these over the polenta and under the eggs.
Creamy Polenta Eggs with Chorizo
Creamy polenta with chorizo and poached eggs
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4
- Category: Breakfast
- 8 oz chorizo ( links or ground) browned
- ¾ Cup dry polenta or corn meal
- 2 ½ C chicken stock
- 1 Cup grated melting cheese ( mozzarella, cheddar, jack)
- ¼ C chopped cilantro divided
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 eggs
- hot sauce for garnish
- * variations- see below
- Pre heat oven to 400F.
- In a cast iron or oven proof 10 inch skillet, brown sausage or chorizo. Set aside. In the same pan, add stock and bring to a boil. Turn heat to med low, whisk in polenta and smoked paprika, whisking vigorously -to prevent clumping. Once whisked well, cover, turn heat to low and let cook 15 minutes, stirring a few times. Add grated cheese, stir to incorporate. Fold in ½ of the chopped cilantro, ½ of the chorizo ( or sausage). Taste for salt and add if necessary.( If using chicken stock and chorizo, they will naturally be salty, but you may need to adjust- polenta should be flavorful.) Pepper to taste. Place the other half of the chorizo on top of the polenta, in the center. With a spoon, make small wells in the polenta where the eggs will rest, around the outer edges of the skillet, in a circle. Crack the eggs and place them in the wells. Lightly salt and pepper each egg. Place the skillet in the hot oven and bake until egg whites are white and set and yolks are set, but still soft ( or cook until your desired doneness) . I will often broil for just a quick minute. Garnish with hot sauce and remaining cilantro.
- * Note- You could add a bed sautéed spinach, sautéed peppers, sautéed onions, sautéed mushrooms to this dish, by placing atop the polenta and under the eggs. To get the calories down, leave out the chorizo.