Creamy Polenta with baked eggs, chorizo and cilantro- a flavorful hearty brunch!
- 8 oz chorizo ( links or ground) browned ( or make this or use vegan chorizo)
- 3/4 cup dry polenta or corn meal
- 2 1/2 C chicken stock ( or veggie stock)
- 1 cup grated melting cheese ( mozzarella, cheddar, jack)
- 1/4 C chopped cilantro divided
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 eggs
- hot sauce for garnish
- * variations- see below
- Pre-heat oven to 400F.
- In a cast iron or oven proof 10 inch skillet, brown sausage or chorizo. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add stock and bring to a boil. Turn heat to med low, whisk in polenta and smoked paprika, whisking vigorously -to prevent clumping. Once whisked well, cover, turn heat to low and let cook 15 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add grated cheese, stir to incorporate. Fold in ½ of the chopped cilantro, ½ of the browned chorizo ( or sausage). Taste for salt and add if necessary.( If using chicken stock and chorizo, they will naturally be salty, but you may need to adjust- polenta should be flavorful.) Pepper to taste.
- Place the other half of the chorizo on top of the polenta, in the center. With a spoon, make small wells in the polenta where the eggs will rest, around the outer edges of the skillet, in a circle. Crack the eggs and place them in the wells. Lightly salt and pepper each egg. Place the skillet in the 400F oven and bake until egg whites are white and set and yolks are set, but still soft ( or cook until your desired doneness) .
- I will often broil for just a quick minute. Garnish with hot sauce and remaining cilantro.
- * Note- You could add a bed sautéed spinach, sautéed peppers, sautéed onions, sautéed mushrooms to this dish, by placing atop the polenta and under the eggs. To get the calories down, leave out the chorizo.
- You could add a bed sautéed spinach, sautéed peppers, sautéed onions, sautéed mushrooms to this dish, by placing atop the polenta and under the eggs. To get the calories down, leave out the chorizo or use the turkey chorizo or try soy chorizo!
- Calories: 466
Keywords: polenta with eggs, polenta eggs, eggs and polenta recipes, polenta recipes with eggs