This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
This healthy summery Breakfast Succotash is made with zucchini, corn and peppers, then topped with pillow poached eggs and flavorful herb oil. Vegan adaptable!
With summer comes a plethora of fresh local produce, so much so at times, it’s hard to keep up! A simple way to incorporate more of summer’s delicious harvest into our daily routine is to serve them for breakfast.
In this recipe for Breakfast Succotash with fresh summer veggies– fresh sweet corn, zucchini, sweet peppers and green beans are sautéed with onion and garlic until tender, then seasoned with spices. Wobbly poached eggs, topped with a flavorful herb oil are nestled overtop. If you prefer your eggs cooked all the way through, crack the eggs right over the succotash and place the skillet in a hot oven until cooked to your liking.
Can this be made Vegan?
Yes! Alternatively, for a lighter vegan version, skip the eggs altogether and add crispy tofu!
How to make Breakfast Succotash
Prep and chop all the fresh veggies. Corn, green beans, bell pepper, onions, garlic, etc.
Saute them on the stove, seasoning with salt and spices.
Make the Herby Green Sauce. This is also called Gremolata and you can use this on SO MANY things!
Poach the eggs and nestle them on top of the Succhotash.
Spoon the herby sauce over top!
On the home front: The vacation we took several weeks ago, feels like ions ago. I wish I could bottle the feeling of walking down a lonely beach without a care in the world but looking at shells and breathing sea air – and preserve it forever. Too quickly work and busyness comes knocking – emails must be attended to, phone calls answered and events coordinated and catered. The still space that was created during our time away, slips silently away. This morning I’m clinging to a perfectly smooth oval stone I found on Whidbey Island hoping it will transport me there, if only for a few seconds.
Have a great weekend!
Breakfast Succotash with Poached Eggs and Herb Oil
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: poached
- Cuisine: Northwest
- Diet: Vegetarian
Poached eggs served over a skillet succotash of fresh summer veggies, topped with a flavorful herb oil.
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil ( or butter)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3–4 rough chopped garlic cloves
- 2 cups diced Zucchini (or summer squash)
- 1 cup fresh green beans , sliced ½ inch pieces (or use okra, lima beans, or edamame)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 ears of corn, shucked and kernels removed (about 2 cups)
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked pepper
- 4–8 large eggs, poached ( or make crispy tofu!)
- ½ cup, packed finely chopped tender herbs ( Italian parsley, tarragon, basil, cilantro, sage, oregano)
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon Lemon zest, chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt, pepper, more to taste
- chile flakes ( optional)
- fresh cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion. Saute until tender, about 3-4 minutes, add garlic.
- Turn heat down to medium, and cook until garlic is fragrant about 2 minutes. Add zucchini and green beans and cook about 3-4 minutes, then turn heat to med low.
- Add peppers and corn. Cooking on medium-low for 10-15 minutes until everything is tender. Season with smoked paprika, salt, cumin and pepper. Taste adjusting salt and spices to your liking. You could add a splash of water to loosen.
- Make the herb oil. Finely chop the herbs and garlic. Zest the lemon and chop it up a bit. Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. I prefer using mostly Italian parsley and then adding 1 or 2 other herbs as an accent. It takes quite a lot of herbs to make ½ cup chopped ( it really condenses down, once chopped.)
- Poach the eggs to the desired doneness.
- Heat up the succotash (if necessary), loosen with a little water if you like- place the poached eggs over top and sprinkle with salt and pepper and a teaspoonful of the flavorful herb oil. Finish with aleppo chili flakes ( or chili flakes).
- Scatter with fresh cherry tomatoes over and around. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: One egg, ¼ of the veggies, 1 Tablespoon Herb Oil
- Calories: 237
- Sugar: 8.9 g
- Sodium: 378.8 mg
- Fat: 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.1 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 10.4 g
- Cholesterol: 186 mg
Keywords: Breakfast succotash, poached eggs over succotash, healthy breakfast
Yummy! I just love the combination of corn and eggs!
This looks so good! So nice to see a different version of shakshuka for a change, and I love how it gives you a big healthy hit of veges. And poached eggs are just my faave – I reckon I would eat this for dinner as well as breakfast with a big piece of crusty ciabatta. I’m hungry just thinking about it! Definitely saving this recipe 🙂
This looks and sounds scrumptious! I’ve never seen such a creative twist on shakshuka before, but I love your succotash twist. This is a must try!
Thanks Sydney, happy weekend to you too!