Poached eggs served over a skillet succotash of fresh summer veggies, topped with a flavorful herb oil.
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil ( or butter)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3–4 rough chopped garlic cloves
- 2 cups diced Zucchini (or summer squash)
- 1 cup fresh green beans , sliced ½ inch pieces (or use okra, lima beans, or edamame)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 ears of corn, shucked and kernels removed (about 2 cups)
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked pepper
- 4–8 large eggs, poached ( or make crispy tofu!)
- ½ cup, packed finely chopped tender herbs ( Italian parsley, tarragon, basil, cilantro, sage, oregano)
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon Lemon zest, chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt, pepper, more to taste
- chile flakes ( optional)
- fresh cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion. Saute until tender, about 3-4 minutes, add garlic.
- Turn heat down to medium, and cook until garlic is fragrant about 2 minutes. Add zucchini and green beans and cook about 3-4 minutes, then turn heat to med low.
- Add peppers and corn. Cooking on medium-low for 10-15 minutes until everything is tender. Season with smoked paprika, salt, cumin and pepper. Taste adjusting salt and spices to your liking. You could add a splash of water to loosen.
- Make the herb oil. Finely chop the herbs and garlic. Zest the lemon and chop it up a bit. Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. I prefer using mostly Italian parsley and then adding 1 or 2 other herbs as an accent. It takes quite a lot of herbs to make ½ cup chopped ( it really condenses down, once chopped.)
- Poach the eggs to the desired doneness.
- Heat up the succotash (if necessary), loosen with a little water if you like- place the poached eggs over top and sprinkle with salt and pepper and a teaspoonful of the flavorful herb oil. Finish with aleppo chili flakes ( or chili flakes).
- Scatter with fresh cherry tomatoes over and around. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: One egg, ¼ of the veggies, 1 Tablespoon Herb Oil
- Calories: 237
- Sugar: 8.9 g
- Sodium: 378.8 mg
- Fat: 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.1 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 10.4 g
- Cholesterol: 186 mg
Keywords: Breakfast succotash, poached eggs over succotash, healthy breakfast