These quick & easy egg bites are the perfect make-ahead breakfast. Make them in 35 minutes, and store them in the fridge for the busy work week, or freeze and reheat. Keto and Vegetarian. (Adapted from Once Upon a Chef.)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk, full-fat cottage cheese (full fat 4%) See note!
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheese- gruyere, cheddar, mozzarella, pepper jack, etc
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 roasted bell pepper, sliced or diced (from a jar, or sub-canned green chilies, drained)
- 1/4– 1/2 cup fresh basil, ribbons (or sub cilantro or dill)
- optional: 6-12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Optional: 3 tablespoons parmesan
- Preheat oven to 300F. Place a pan of water 1/4 inch deep, on the lower rack to create steam. (see notes)
- Grease a standard, non-stick muffin tin with olive oil. If not using non-stick, use muffin liners.
- Place the eggs, cottage cheese, shredded cheese, salt and pepper in a blender and blend until silky smooth.
- Pour and divide the batter into the greased muffin tins-to about 3/4 full.
- Add the roasted pepper and basil to the top, stirring some down a bit. Top with a cherry tomato and sprinkle lightly with parmesan cheese.
- Place the egg bites on the middle rack (over the pan with water) and bake until the egg bites are set and golden, 20-30 minutes. (Our were ready at 24 minutes.)Be doubly sure the center ones are set– they usually take 1-2 minutes longer than the ones on the edges.
- Let cool 5- 10 minutes; loosen the edges with a knife, and carefully scoop them out with a spoon.
- These will keep up to 4 days in the fridge or can be frozen and reheated.
Cottage Cheese: Using low-fat cottage cheese has too much moisture, and will prevent them from setting up properly.
Steam: Adding the pan of water to the preheating oven will make steam, which gives them a silky, custardy texture.
Other variations: smoked salmon & dill, sundried tomato & olive, bacon crumbles & cheddar, canned green chilies + cilantro and pepper jack.
- Serving Size: 1 egg bite
- Calories: 122
- Sugar: 1.4 g
- Sodium: 278.2 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.9 g
- Fiber: 0.3 g
- Protein: 10.3 g
- Cholesterol: 112.6 mg
Keywords: egg bites, egg muffins, egg bite recipe, easy egg muffins, egg muffin recipe